Web-version

Leo Barichello

May 23, 2012, 11:43:54 AM5/23/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for many reasons, kturtle is my favourite derivation of Logo and I am using it in many contexts: high school, middle school, undergraduation and even with future math teachers.
That is why i am thinking about a web version in the past few months.

Now, i fin 3 computer science students that want to work on it.
But before they start, i would like to know if anybody in the group have done something in this way or have any suggestion.

Thanks,
Leo

--
Sócio-diretor da Mais educacional - www.mais.mat.br
Professor do Colégio Villa Lobos e PUC-Campinas

Niels Slot

May 26, 2012, 12:49:34 PM5/26/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

I like the idea and as far as I know nobody has ever tried to do something like this with KTurtle.

I do know of some other Logo projects that work on the web. For example I know KidsRuby[1] which uses the JavaScript TurtleWax library[2] to implement the canvas and turtle operations. Maybe you can reuse a part of this?

The hardest part of a KTurtle like language in the browser will probably be the creation of a language parser and interpreter. KTurtle doesn't use any parser generaters because we require more flexibility then most of those can offer. A feature like allowing the programming language to be translated into different natural languages can make things very complicated.

Please keep us up to date on your efforts. I for one would really like to see the results.

Regards,

Niels Slot

[1] http://kidsruby.com/
[2] https://github.com/davebalmer/turtlewax

Leo Barichello

May 29, 2012, 7:12:11 AM5/29/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Niels

Thank you for the information. I am gonna take a look at Turtle Wax, but it seems promising!

Leo