How do I compile kturtle source code

joys

Apr 3, 2012, 3:21:40 AM4/3/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
I have downloaded the source code from https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeedu/kturtle/repository.It consists a initrepo.sh file.After running the file I couldn't fond any ./configure file.What should I do to compile the source?

Niels Slot

Apr 3, 2012, 3:55:36 AM4/3/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joy,

You can find instructions on how to compile KDE applications at http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE_Applications

After downloading a tarball from the projects site, run the 'initrepo.sh' file. This will invoke git and will create the required files. The 'initrepo.sh' can be seen as analogous to the 'git clone' step in the techbase article.

So in short, after running 'initrepo.sh'  create a build directory and run cmake from there, after which you can run make to compile KTurtle.

Regards,

Niels

2012/4/3 joys <joy....@gmail.com>
I have downloaded the source code from https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeedu/kturtle/repository.It consists a initrepo.sh file.After running the file I couldn't fond any ./configure file.What should I do to compile the source?

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 3, 2012, 4:37:40 AM4/3/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

But after compiling the code I have run the kturtle(executable) from src directory and it does not similar as the main interface I have got in installed version.

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta

Niels Slot

Apr 4, 2012, 1:13:40 PM4/4/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joysankar,

That could be because KTurtle can't find some of the required files. There is a good chance that installing it will solve that problem.

Regards,

Niels

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 6, 2012, 11:07:28 PM4/6/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the quick reply.
If we install from .deb file or using "apt-get install" it ask for install dependencies but in case of installation using cmake->make->make install,it doesn't.How do i resolve this?

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta

Niels Slot

Apr 7, 2012, 5:29:58 AM4/7/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Debian package management is aware of dependencies, it knows which other packages KTurtle needs. CMake is aware of dependencies as well, but only build time and it can only check if they're installed. If the CMake step works without giving errors, all dependencies should be installed.

Regards,

Niels

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 9, 2012, 3:59:40 AM4/9/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Inline image 1
After executing following command I,ve got the above kturtle home screen which doesn't have the run button.Please suggest some command which allow me to install kturtle properly from "kturtle-latest.tar.gz" .
cmake ~/kturtle  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
make
make install
cd src
./kturtle

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Niels Slot

Apr 9, 2012, 4:39:24 AM4/9/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Is your $KDEDIR set correctly? (Setting it once in CMake is enough, but make sure it has a value) The command 'echo $KDEDIR' will tell you if you have it set.

Try running kturtle not from the source dit, but from where you installed it.

Niels

2012/4/9 Joy Sankar Sengupta <joy....@gmail.com>
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 9, 2012, 7:01:06 AM4/9/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
"echo $KDEDIR" is not showing any value(nothing).So how do I set $KDEDIR?

if I run kturtle from "/bin/",it shows the same home screen.What should I do?

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Niels Slot

Apr 9, 2012, 7:20:19 AM4/9/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
An 'export KDEDIR=/usr' should do it. Or you can just call cmake with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr directly. For me this works fine on a Ubuntu based machine.

The file KTurtle needs in order to show a normal toolbar is, as far as I know, the /usr/share/kde4/apps/kturtle/kturtleui.rc file. This will be installed correctly if you set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX (or KDEDIR if you use that for its value) to /usr. Beware that the file does not have to be in that specific location, but for Ubuntu installations that location works just fine.

Regards,
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 10, 2012, 4:42:42 AM4/10/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Niels,

Thank you very much.
Now it is working in UBUNTU 12.04...

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Joy Sankar Sengupta

Apr 10, 2012, 7:09:39 AM4/10/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
If I do the same thing in KUBUNTU then following error is showing---

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:98 (MESSAGE):
  ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
  /root/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:4 (find_package)

Best Regards,
Joysankar Sengupta
Screenshot from 2012-04-09 13:19:47.png

Александра Кричевская

Apr 9, 2012, 3:40:16 PM4/9/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com, Niels Slot
Can I ask about export SVG from Kturtle?
I wish to draw an interesting fractal and export to SVG file.
I have it has not turned out to make it. Export does not work?
Somebody did it?

Leonardo Barichello

Dec 8, 2012, 3:04:08 PM12/8/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Did you solve this problem under kubuntu?
I am trying to compile kturtle in order to try to solve the "Export to svg" problem.

Leo Barichello

Dec 8, 2012, 3:18:14 PM12/8/12
to kdeedu-...@googlegroups.com
Solved!
I just installed kdelis5-dev, cmake and make made all the wrok smoothly...

2012/12/8 Leonardo Barichello <baric...@gmail.com>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/kdeedu-kturtle/-/-Ysb6OI0bd0J.

Sócio-diretor da Mais educacional - www.mais.mat.br
Professor do Colégio Villa Lobos e PUC-Campinas