KDC Showdown

Charlotte Vassell

Oct 14, 2014, 3:42:46 AM10/14/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Hope you’re well what with the awful weather

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KDCTheatre

KDC Needs Directors for Spring 2014! It could be YOU!

The Walls Are Watching this Halloween.

The Apple Cart is upset for the first week of November.

The Last Days Of Judas Iscariot is a month before Christmas.

And we will be Well Dressed by the end of 2014 here at KDC Theatre.

But then my friends, oh then, comes 2015! And we intend to spring into our Spring Season with three more fantastic weeks of theatre at one our favourite homes away from home, The Lion and Unicorn.

And we need your pitches!

If you’ve directed, or acted, or helped produce or crew any of our shows before and fancy having your name alongside a play that you love, let us know. We open our pitching process to directors old and new, experienced and fresh. We, as a committee, will be there to support the projects all the way.

If you are interested in KDC Theatre but have never worked with us before, you may be interested in putting your name forward to Assistant Direct, Stage Manage or Produce.

If you’re thinking about pitching, all we ask you to consider is this:

•             How do you imagine your show looking? Think about the size of a stage in comparison to what you have in mind?

•             We want to give our members as many opportunities to perform as possible, so ideally plays with 8-14 roles are good – 7 is an absolute minimum unfortunately – bear in mind anything north of 15 might be hard to fit backstage!

•             We like to present as many roles for male and female actors equally as much as possible, and try to find a balance in the roles. If the play has 9 men and 1 woman, it wouldn’t be something we could consider… If some of those male roles are not gender specific, it might be.

•             If you want to pitch, feel free to pitch us up to three plays. It may be that your top choice is not right this time round, but your second or third may be perfect.

There is no theme to the season at all, BUT it will be a three week season, the middle week of which will be devoted to the New Writing material that is submitted to KDC Theatre. Two plays are chosen of around one hour (or less) that run back to back for a week at the venue. It’s a great opportunity to get some new writing on its feet for the first time. If this interests you, let us know and we can send you a list of the plays currently resting in our New Writing Bank.

The season will be from Monday 16th March until 4th, with New Writing week in the middle, and our spring season newcomers will be on 8th January.

For further details please contact me at arti...@kdctheatre.com

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Andy Marchant

KDC Theatre Artistic Director

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

― Ernest Hemingway

Charlotte Vassell

Oct 20, 2014, 5:11:51 PM10/20/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all,

The Walls are Watching is nearly upon us!

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

― Arthur Conan Doyle

Charlotte Vassell

Oct 27, 2014, 7:34:45 PM10/27/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Feeling creeped out yet?

The Walls are Watching!

Tomorrow night is the opening night of The Walls are Watching, a KDC devised piece

28th October - 1st November, Lion and Unicorn, Kentish Town

Book Tickets to avoid disappointment

Get a sneak peek here: www.wallsarewatching.wordpress.com

Directed by Kim Morrison and Trina Hasthorpe

Enter the dark and desperate world of Blackmoor Manor with private detective Priest as he investigates the playboy heir's mysterious death. Meet the widows and vixens, the liars and dealers, the ghosts and the killers that haunt Blackmoor Manor. All are guilty; but who - or what - murdered Randall Black?

Don't believe their lies.

Keep to the shadows.

Discover the truth.

The Walls Are Watching Opening Night Social:

Want to meet new people whilst seeing some excellent theatre too?

The KDC social team have organised a get-together on the opening night of The Walls are Watching.

Come along and join us for a drink and chat.

Coming soon:

The Apple Cart is upset for the first week of November.

The Last Days Of Judas Iscariot is a month before Christmas.

And we will be Well Dressed by the end of 2014 here at KDC Theatre.

We need your pitches!

After this season my friends, comes 2015! And we intend to spring into our Spring Season with three more fantastic weeks of theatre at one our favourite homes away from home, The Lion and Unicorn.

[...]

“'The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?”

― Edgar Allen Poe

image001.jpg

Charlotte Vassell

Nov 3, 2014, 7:20:06 PM11/3/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Let’s upset The Apple Cart

Tomorrow night is the opening night of The Apple Cart,  by George Bernard Shaw

4th November – 8th November, Lion and Unicorn, Kentish Town

Book Tickets to avoid disappointment

Directed by Lorenzo Mason

In an imagined but not so distant future, King Magnus of the House of Windsor finds himself locked in yet another political crisis when he accuses in passing the Government, led by cunning Prime Minister Joseph Proteus, of corruption.

Proteus and the rest of the Cabinet, spearheaded by Business Secretary Bill "Bullroarer" Boanerges, practically storm the royal palace, in an attempt to prevent the King from ever speaking in public again.

The King's mistress -  the ambitious Orinthia - is pressuring him to grab more power, whilst  on the other side of the pond the Americans are concocting a scheme.

George Bernard Shaw's funny and topical play was written in 1929 yet portrays a modern world virtually identical to our own

The Apple Cart Opening Night Social:

Come and have a pre-show, interval, and/or post-show drink with us and see The Apple Cart on opening night.

Members of the KDC committee will be at The Apple Cart on Tuesday 4th November so if you fancy seeing a brilliant show and meeting some of us, or catching up with those of us you've already met, or ignoring us entirely and meeting each other, then come along!

The show starts at 7:30 and Trina and Kim will be in the Lion and Unicorn from 6:45pm with a KDC sign to identify us.

Coming soon:

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KDCTheatre

"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."

― George Bernard Shaw

image003.jpg

Charlotte Vassell

Nov 10, 2014, 5:31:46 PM11/10/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Well hello there,

The Last Days of Judas Iscariot

When: Tuesday 18th – Saturday 22nd November (7.30 p.m.) Additional Matinee: Sat 22 November (2.30 p.m.)

Where: The Barons Court Theatre  28a Comeragh Road, London  W14 9HR (nearest tubes: Barons Court / West Kensington)

Admission: £12 (£10 Concessions) Tickets now on sale.

Box Office: 020 8932 4747 (Please note you can reserve over the phone and pay on the night. The box office does not accept credit/debit cards)

The world's most famous traitor is back on trial. In downtown Purgatory, the realm between Heaven and Hell, Judas finally gets his day in court. Yet he is wracked by guilt and unable to speak, so court has been called into session on his behalf to appeal his sentence of eternal damnation.

In court, the defence and prosecution question everything we think we know about betrayal, hope, blame and forgiveness.

Sinners, saints and Satan are called to testify in this darkly comic courtroom drama:

God and the Kingdom of Heaven and Earth versus Judas Iscariot

Join the Facebook event

Coming soon:

Well Dressed

Inspired by 'Tailleur Pour Dames' by Georges Feydeau

When: 25 November - 29 November

Where: The Baron’s Court Theatre

Sebastian, a well-respected West London Doctor is struggling to adapt to married life. He wants one last fling with his pretty patient Lauren but it’s proving more difficult that he imagined. As the lies keep topping up it’s only a matter of time before everything starts to crumble down around him with hilarious consequences.

You may also be interested in:

Stage Manager needed for Tower Theatre's Season's Greetings:

Tower Theatre are looking for both a Stage Manager and Assistant Stage Manager for their production of Alan Ayckbourne's Christmas farce, Season's Greetings. It will be running at the Bridewell Theatre from 16-20th December.

If you're interested, please contact Gigi Robarts gigir...@gmail.com

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KDCTheatre

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer

Charlotte Vassell

Nov 17, 2014, 6:32:36 PM11/17/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all,

The Last Days of Judas Iscariot

When: Tuesday 18th – Saturday 22nd November (7.30 p.m.) Additional Matinee: Saturday 22nd November (2.30 p.m.)

Where: The Barons Court Theatre  28a Comeragh Road, London  W14 9HR (nearest tubes: Barons Court / West Kensington)

Admission: £12 (£10 Concessions) Tickets are now on sale, please reserve now to avoid disappointment.

Box Office: 020 8932 4747 (Please note you can reserve over the phone and pay on the night. The box office does not accept credit/debit cards)

The world's most famous traitor is back on trial. In downtown Purgatory, the realm between Heaven and Hell, Judas finally gets his day in court. Yet he is wracked by guilt and unable to speak, so court has been called into session on his behalf to appeal his sentence of eternal damnation.

In court, the defence and prosecution question everything we think we know about betrayal, hope, blame and forgiveness.

Sinners, saints and Satan are called to testify in this darkly comic courtroom drama:

God and the Kingdom of Heaven and Earth versus Judas Iscariot

Join the Facebook event

Coming soon:

Well Dressed

Inspired by 'Tailleur Pour Dames' by Georges Feydeau

When: 25th November 29th November

Where: The Barons Court Theatre  28a Comeragh Road, London  W14 9HR (nearest tubes: Barons Court / West Kensington)

Admission: £12 (£10 Concessions) Tickets are now on sale, please reserve now to avoid disappointment.

Box Office: 020 8932 4747 (Please note you can reserve over the phone and pay on the night. The box office does not accept credit/debit cards)

Sebastian, a well-respected West London Doctor is struggling to adapt to married life. He wants one last fling with his pretty patient Lauren but it’s proving more difficult that he imagined. As the lies keep topping up it’s only a matter of time before everything starts to crumble down around him with hilarious consequences.

KDC’s Merry Quizmas Quiz! Thursday 4th December:

Time: 7.30pm

Venue: The Hoop and Grapes, EC4A 4BLContact: Merriment will be overseen by the very lovely Kim and Trina. You can email them at soc...@kdctheatre.com. There’s no need to book, just turn up!

Haters of trivia will adore the KDC Christmas quiz - we promise that you can lose all your brain cells to mulled wine and still have a shot at glory!

The rules:

1. Teams need a minimum of 3 people and a max of 6 - if you don't have one we'll find you one!

2. Festive dress and the overuse of puns is strongly encouraged.

3. The judge's decision is final no matter how drunk they appear.

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KDCTheatre

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”

― Mark Twain

image001.png

Charlotte Vassell

Nov 24, 2014, 3:46:02 PM11/24/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Konbanwa everyone,

Thanks to everyone who came to see The Last Days of Judas Iscariot, we hope you enjoyed yourself.

We also hope to see you this week at:

Well Dressed

Inspired by 'Tailleur Pour Dames' by Georges Feydeau

When: 25th November – 29th November 7pm & 2.30pm Saturday matinee

[...]

“Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it.”

― Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

image003.png

Charlotte Vassell

Dec 1, 2014, 6:25:22 PM12/1/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all,

A warm KDC thank you to everyone who took part or came and saw the winter season, we very much hope you enjoyed yourselves and that we’ll see you again in the new year.

The Mechanicals:

Hello there KDC Theatre!

Exciting opportunities abound! We, along with several other amateur theatre companies around the country, have been contacted by the RSC regarding a very exciting opportunity.

In 2016, the RSC will be doing a touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and the intention is that the Mechanicals will be played by members of an Amateur Theatre Company from each region they visit. There will be training opportunities and workshops laid on by the RSC and this is a fantastic chance for potentially 6 actors and a director from KDC Theatre to be involved with.

Emma and I reached out to the members who have directed with us over the last four years, and invited them to send us a one page pitch on what they would do with the mechanicals. (obviously bearing in mind we have no idea what the RSCs show will look like, or what the setting or tone is)

There are 6 pitches under review for the 6 roles on offer for the fantastic roles of Bottom, Quince, Flute, Snug, Snout and Starvling, and these will be auditioning at The St Brides Institute in Blackfriars on Tuesday 9th December from 7pm.

As soon as a pitch has been chosen, we will let you know any further information based on that, but each pitch, in true KDC fashion, provides and completely open opportunity, and encourages each and every enthusiastic KDC actor to come and have a go at being part of something very special.

After WE have cast our mechanicals, the RSC will hold a Workshop audition weekend on the 21st and 22nd Feb 2015, alongside other amateur theatre companies around London – from this, 3 groups would go forward to the Hub Auditions on the 30th and 31st May 2015

Following this, we have no more information on how it all proceeds, or what shape the hub auditions take. But I’m excited to find out!

If you are interested in auditioning, in a break from tradition, we would like you to register your interest by emailing arti...@kdctheatre.com.

Please be aware that for this first round (until the February workshop/audition) we would not ask for any subs from our actors, but if we were successful beyond that, we would ask for £35 to cover rehearsal and any additional costs.

In addition, if you are interested, but cannot make the 9th December, please let us know that as well!

Andy Marchant

KDC Theatre Artistic Director

KDC’s Merry Quizmas Quiz! Thursday 4th December:

Time: 7.30pm

Venue: The Hoop and Grapes, EC4A 4BLContact: Merriment will be overseen by the very lovely Kim and Trina. You can email them at soc...@kdctheatre.com. There’s no need to book, just turn up!

Haters of trivia will adore the KDC Christmas quiz - we promise that you can lose all your brain cells to mulled wine and still have a shot at glory!

The rules:

1. Teams need a minimum of 3 people and a max of 6 - if you don't have one we'll find you one!

2. Festive dress and the overuse of puns is strongly encouraged.

3. The judge's decision is final no matter how drunk they appear.

You may also be interested in:

GEOIDS are looking for one or maybe a tag team of two operators over the week for Sweet Charity which is playing at The Cockpit Theatre w/c 1st December.

It should be a programmable board so all the ops team would need to do is to have their wits about them and press go. Any more experience than that to be able to freestyle in the event of an emergency would be great but not vital.

They get into the theatre on Monday 1 Dec for a tech that evening, dress run on Tuesday 2 Dec and performances 19:30 Wednesday 3 - Saturday 6 Dec (including 14:30 matinee). If you are interested and available please contact producer Blake Klein (blake...@gmail.com) or assistant producer Michelle Smith (michell...@live.com.au)

Marching Song:

Tuesday 9th - Saturday 13th December at 7.30pm and Saturday 13th December, Matinée at 3.00pm

Tower Theatre at The Bridewell Theatre

An unnamed European capital seven years after a bruising defeat in war. Before the conflict Catherine and Rupert were the city's golden couple. But Rupert was an army commander and he has been imprisoned since the armistice. Catherine has waited, in an emotional vacuum, in the mansion she built to celebrate their love. Now the occupying power has withdrawn, opening the way for a fresh start, but the ghosts of the past demand retribution. Written in the aftermath of the Second World War, John Whiting's compelling drama explores the impossible dilemmas posed by war.

Season’s Greetings:

Tuesday 16th - Saturday 20th December at 7.30pm and Saturday 20th December, Matinée at 3.00pm

Tower Theatre at The Bridewell Theatre

We invite you to spend Christmas with the Bunkers - a family behaving very badly and spreading tidings of great misery!

As a motley collection of friends and relatives fill the house with their own desires, dreams and forced merriment, the stage is set for seasonal disharmony and romantic intrigue. Christmas presents include squabbles and bloody noses, confessions and tears, mechanical mayhem and passionate trysts under the tree.

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook

“Whoever loved that loved not at first sight?”

― Christopher Marlowe

Charlotte Vassell

Dec 8, 2014, 3:31:25 PM12/8/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all,

Exciting Updates for our Mechanicals Auditions!

Following on from last week’s exciting announcement about auditioning the Mechanicals from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, we have some further details for you all!

Firstly, a reminder; In 2016, the RSC will be doing a touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and the intention is that the Mechanicals will be played by members of an Amateur Theatre Company from each region they visit. There will be training opportunities and workshops laid on by the RSC, followed by an audition to get through to the next stage, and KDC Theatre have decided to try our chances at representing London!

Emma and I reached out to the members who have directed with us over the last four years, inviting them to pitch on what they would do with the mechanicals. (obviously bearing in mind we have no idea what the RSCs show will look like, or what the setting or tone is)

Well it turned out due to an interest in both pitching AND performing we are going to submit an application TWICE. Below are some brief summations of the successful pitches:

The Mercantile Mechanicals: Am Dram meets The Apprentice (Trina Hathorpe)

The comedy in this contemporary take on A Midsummer Night’s Dream’s Mechanicals is primarily derived from the ludicrousness of the situation these characters face: to down the tools of their normal day jobs in the finance sector to produce and perform The Most Lamentable Comedy and Most Cruel Death of Pyramus and Thisbe for an audience of London’s social and financial 'royalty'. These Mechanicals are successful, corporate professionals who, (some reluctantly, some with relish) leave their desks to navigate the intricacies of producing a show from scratch with no training, a strict time frame and minimal budget. The stakes are high – the audience will contain some very influential people – hence the Peter Quince and his team must attempt to treat the ridiculous with utmost seriousness lest they lose their jobs as well as their dignity!

Motley Crew: London's Mechanicals (Kat Wootton)

London’s mechanicals are a grab bag. Between them, they reflect the different faces of the city. Reflecting London’s makeup, they are mix of ages, genders, and ethnicities, who are brought together by their director Quince’s determination and pushy enthusiasm, along with their curiosity and desire for attention. They seem completely out of place together, entirely mismatched in everything except their burning energy. Drawn to perform by their shared love of costume and presentation, these characters will be developed with the people cast to draw out the most individualistic, big, and fun portrayal possible.

That means the 6 roles of Bottom, Quince, Flute, Snug, Snout and Starvling are on offer TWICE.

Auditions will be at the St Brides Institute in Blackfriars on Tuesday 9th December from 7pm, and are free to attend.

If you are interested in auditioning, please be aware that there will be no subs asked, and that in a break from tradition, we would like you to register your intent to audition by emailing arti...@kdctheatre.com

Unfortunately, due to the criteria set out in the application details from the RSC, you will not be eligible to apply if you are a paid actor, regularly take on paid work as an actor, or list your profession as actor, even if you still do it for fun. Sorry.

After WE have cast our mechanicals, the RSC will hold a Workshop audition weekend on the 21st and 22nd Feb 2015, alongside other amateur theatre companies around London – from this, 3 groups would go forward to the Hub Auditions on the 30th and 31st May 2015

In addition, if you are interested, but cannot make the 9th December, please let us know that as well!

Andy Marchant

KDC Theatre Artistic Director

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook

“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Charlotte Vassell

Dec 15, 2014, 5:22:06 PM12/15/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good evening all,

SPRING NEWCOMERS:

Date: Thursday 8th January 2015

Time: Join us from 7pm for a drink. The meeting will start at 7.30pm

Venue: The Red Herring, 49 Gresham St, EC2V 7EH

Each season we hold a Newcomers Meeting where the directors will tell you more about their plays and the audition process. It’s a great way to find out more about the season and of course you can quiz the directors and committee too. Whether you’ve been hanging out with KDC for years, or you’re completely new to us, come on down!

THIS SEASON’S SHOWS ARE…

17th – 21st March 2015

These Shining Lives by Melanie Marnich

Directed by Kate Moore

24th March –28th March 2015

The Butler Didn’t Do It by Ryan Watson

Directed by Charlotte Vassell

31st March - 4th April 2015

All In The Timing by David Ives

Directed by Kat Wootton

Details of all the shows can be found on the attached audition notices.

Auditions for These Shining Lives and All In The Timing

Date: 12th, 13th and 14th January

Time: 7pm

Venue: Clean Break Studios, 2 Patshull Road, Kentish Town, NW5 2LB. The nearest tube is Kentish Town

You can audition for both shows on the same night though ultimately you can only be cast in one.

Auditions for The Butler Didn’t Do It

Date: 20th and 21st January

Time: 7pm

Venue: Clean Break Studios, 2 Patshull Road, Kentish Town, NW5 2LB. The nearest tube is Kentish Town

Our auditions are free to attend. There’ll be committee members on hand to help every night so we promise you’ll be well looked after!

Please come along on whichever days suits you but do bear in mind that the last night is usually very busy so we’d advise you come on an earlier night if you can.

Recalls will be on the following Saturday.

Follow us on Twitter @kdctheatre or on Facebook

“The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.”

Arthur C. Clarke

Audition Notice - The Butler Didn't Do It.pdf
Audition notice - These Shining Lives.pdf
Audition Notice - All In The Timing.pdf

Charlotte Vassell

Dec 22, 2014, 4:56:55 PM12/22/14
to kdcth...@googlegroups.com

Good everyone,

THE MECHANICALS:

Congratulations to all those cast in our RSC pitches. Those lucky people are:

Kat Wootton’s Motley Crew: London's Mechanicals

Quince: Martin Shaw

Bottom: Valerie Antwi

Flute: Rachel Nwokoro

Snout: Matt Tylianakis

Snug: Stephen Russell

Starveling: Emily Barnes

The Mercantile Mechanicals of Trina Hasthorpe

Bottom: Andy Marchant

Quince: Ava Pickett

Flute: Mark Ewins

Snug: Caroline Doyle

Snout: Emma Rolf

Starveling: Melissa Bethune

Thank you for everyone who came to audition, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with KDC in 2015 and we hope to see you all again in the new year.

“'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.”

Clement Clarke Moore

The Butler Didn't Do It Audition Notice.pdf
All In The Timing Audition Notice.pdf
These Shining Lives Audition Notice.pdf