New! HSC aerobatic training special!

Quest@HSC

Nov 30, 2011, 4:59:45 AM11/30/11
to KCVH_Soaring_Center_Group
Hi everybody,

Beginning on December 1st, 2011, and going until further notice,
Hollister Soaring Center will be offering aerobatic/unusual attitude/
upset training at a special, reduced rate.

For the purposes of dual aerobatic training, HSC will be offering tows
at the "Panoche XC" rate of $83.00 per 1,000 feet up to 6,000 feet.
(This comes out to $14.00 per thousand feet, less $1. As far as I know
at this time, this is probably the best tow rate anywhere in Northern
California!) For dual aerobatic training tows which go higher than
6,000 feet, the rate for each additional 1,000 feet of tow will be
$27.00/1,000 feet, which is $10 less per thousand feet than our
regular retail rate.

Glider rental rates for the HSC SGS 2-32 will also be reduced 50% to
$32.50/hour, which I am confident is much less than you will be able
to find anywhere else for rental of an aerobatic glider.

Flight instruction for the dual aerobatic flight training will remain
at the HSC standard rate of $65.00/hour for ground and/or flight
training.

The aerobatic training will be conducted in the two HSC SGS 2-32s by
me, and in the BASA DGs by HSC employee/CFIG Jonathan Hughes.

I am personally providing the training in the 2-32 because of my level
of comfort and experience in this ship. And Jonathan will be providing
the training in the BASA ships because of his level of experience in
the DGs.

The Schweizer SGS 2-32 is a great basic trainer for learning the
fundamentals of aerobatics, as well as exploring unusual attitude
recognition and recovery, and what is also known as "upset" training.
We will proceed slowly into this realm for all new aerobatic students
with an emphasis on preparation and safety at all times. We will wear
parachutes and a complete briefing will be given before the flight. We
won't do any radical, violent, or "extreme" maneuvers which might make
you nauseous and therefore steer you away from future aerobatic
experiences. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS END ANY AEROBATIC SESSIONS WITH A
DESIRE FOR MORE, AND NEVER PUSH TO THE POINT OF FEELING SICK OR
NAUSEOUS! IT IS QUITE EASY TO QUICKLY EXCEED THIS LEVEL DURING AN
AGGRESSIVE ROUTINE IN AN "UNLIMITED" TYPE GLIDER!

Although the literature for the 2-32 describes it as "fully
aerobatic", we will be doing what is referred to as "gentleman
aerobatics", which are very graceful, fun and rewarding for the new
aerobatic student. We won't be doing any inverted, or "negative G"
flying in the 2-32s, which is also quite uncomfortable. If you are a
BASA Member you will be able to experience this with Jonathan in one
of the BASA DGs if you so desire.

Other maneuvers that we won't do in either ship are: snap rolls or
"accelerated" maneuvers; tail-slides; tumbling maneuvers or Lomcevaks;
and anything else specifically prohibited by the Flight Manual or
placards.

I believe that it is very important to "train how you fly" by
receiving instruction and practicing in an aircraft that is quite
similar (if not identical) to what you fly on a regular basis.
Advanced/unlimited aircraft rarely perform the same as most of the
common ships flown, hence training in them may not be as beneficial as
training in something closer to what you normally fly.

The fun, challenging, and fairly gentle maneuvers that we will work on
are:

1) Loops (3.25 to 3.5 positive Gs)
2) Barrel rolls (positive G only, rolling 45 degrees off axis of a
centerpoint.)
3) Upright spins.
4) Hammerhead stall-turn.
5) Zero-G push humpty-bump.
6) Lazy 8s
7) Wing-overs (more than 90 degrees of bank in a reversing turn.)
8) Lufberry turn (descending, constant, high-speed turns of more than
60 degrees of bank, and up to 80 degrees of bank.)
9) Steep spiral recognition and recovery.
10) Deep stall recognition and recovery.
11) Unusual attitude recognition and recovery.
12) Zero-G with high pitch attitude recognition and recovery.
13) Aileron rolls which require "pushing" to the "outside" or
"negative Gs against the straps" may possibly be performed in the BASA
DGs at the discretion of Jonathan Hughes.
14) 1/4 Cloverleaf and 1/4 reverse cloverleaf.
15) 1/2 reverse Cuban eight.

My intention is to have you on the controls and flying the maneuvers
as much as possible. It does take quite a bit of practice on some of
these maneuvers until you can fly them proficiently. That's why we'll
begin with the basics, and only add the more advanced maneuvers when
you're ready. Jonathan and I can demonstrate some of the more complex
ones to you, but there's no sense taking the time for you to learn
them unless you've got the basics down pat.

My experience in aerobatic flying includes the following:

Power aerobatics: Dozens of hours flying aerobatics in: Citabria;
Decathlon; Super Decathlon; Pitts S2-B and S2-C; Giles 202; Extra 300;
Great Lakes; Waco Bi-Plane; Stearman;
Avions Robin; Yak 52; Grob G115 (airplane).

I have completed the Basic and Advanced aerobatic courses at Sean D.
Tucker's Tutima Academy of Flight Safety. At Tutima I flew with Ken
Erickson and Ben Freelove, both of whom have performed in airshows
with Sean. Ben Freelove attained #2 in the US National Advanced
Aerobatic Competition this past summer, and is on the US Advanced
aerobatic team. He was also on the US National Advanced Aerobatic team
that competed in the International Competition in Europe during the
summer of 2010. He was the highest performing American and came in 9th
in the competition. It was a pleasure to fly with both of these
professional pilots, and I learned an immeasurable amount from the two
of them.

I have competed in two International Aerobatic Club sanctioned
competitions at the Sportsman level. I flew the Pitts S2-C at Paso
Robles in June of 2010, and competed in the Pitts S2-B at Delano in
September of 2010.

Glider aerobatics:

I have flown more than a hundred total aerobatic flights both solo and
while introducing HSC customers to the thrill of aerobatics aboard the
SGS 2-32. Also, I have dozens of aerobatic rides given in the Grob 103
and ASK21 at Turf Soaring School in Phoenix, AZ.

I have completed the Basic and most of the Advanced aerobatic flight
training program in the MDM Fox Unlimited aerobatic glider at Estrella
Gliderport in Phoenix AZ. There I flew with Jason Stephens who is a
multiple-time, US National, unlimited glider aerobatic champion.
Flying in the Fox with Jason was a hoot, but is probably not
recommended for those just venturing into aerobatics.

I have flown several flights in an MDM Swift Unlimited Single Place
glider, which just happens to be the exact same ship which airshow
performer Paul Jennings used when he performed at the Hollister
Airshow in May, 2011.

I am working toward obtaining a Statement of Aerobatic Competency
(also known as an "ACE" card) so that I may be able to perform a
glider aerobatic routine at the Hollister Airshow sometime in the
future.

I have flown some aerobatic maneuvers in the BASA DGs, but have not
done enough to feel proficient in providing instruction in this ship.

Jonathan Hughes also has extensive experience flying aerobatics in the
SGS 2-32, as well as the BASA DGs, so is fully qualified to provide
excellent instruction in the BASA ships.

If you're interested in pursuing the fun of aerobatic training, or
just experiencing any of the maneuvers listed above, please call or e-
mail and I will put you on the HSC schedule whenever it's convenient
for you.

Please remember to support your LOCAL glider FBO!!! We look forward to
seeing you all out at Hollister at some point in the near future!

Happy looping, adrenaline pumping and PROFICIENT, SAFE, aerobatic
glider flying.
Quest

PS- A few months ago I began the long, arduous process of getting
together the forms and documents necessary to apply for a waiver for
an aerobatic practice area near the Hollister Airport. If there are
any pilots or "lurkers" out there who would be interested in helping
this project along to its completion, by all means get in touch with
me. I am looking at a 1,000 meter by 1,000 meter area which is at the
NW intersection of Fairview road and Fallon. There is nothing below
this area but farmland, and it's about three miles east of the
airport. This is the "quietest" area around Hollister Muni and no one
flies through this area on a regular basis. A waiver could allow us to
do aerobatic training and routines in the area above that spot, and
would even waive the regulations regarding proximity to Victor
airways. We would be able to do acro down to 1,500 feet AGL, and still
easily be able to enter a left base for Runway 24 with no problem. (I
know because I flew at 1,500 feet over this area and was easily able
to get to Rwy. 24 on a left base entry). If successful, this aerobatic
practice area would allow customers and others to view the aerobatic
flights from the area of the HSC picnic tables and office. While not
quite "on" the airport, it would be great fun to watch the flights
nonetheless.