What is Permaculture?

Steve Moring

Jan 19, 2017, 1:35:45 PM1/19/17
to Growing Growers Discussion List, Sustainability Action, Food-Not-Lawns KC, kc-food-ci...@googlegroups.com, Kaw Council, Kansas GreenWish, KC No Till Google Group, KC Organics and Natural Market, Lawrence Fruit Tree Project, KPC-Dev Google Groups)
Dear Growers,

The Kansas Permaculture Institute, Inc. a Kansas non-profit 501(C)3 invites growers to participate in its Spring Permaculture Design Course:

What is Permaculture?

Many of you might be familiar with the term permaculture.  It was coined in the 1970’s by Bill Mollison from Australia, meaning “permanently sustainable agriculture”.  In forty years it has evolved to encompass much more than agriculture and self reliance. For most people it is a whole new paradigm of thinking about how we relate to the rest of the planet, its living systems, our ethics and values.  It not just about how to grow our food the “old fashion” way with minimal energy inputs, it is about how we use energy, design landscapes, how we build our homes and work places, how we protect and restore ecosystems, and maintain our ecological support systems.  It is going green multi-dimensionally.  It is a handbook for the transition to the coming post petroleum age.

 Today permaculture is a major part of the international transition movement.  If you are concerned about how we as communities can address global warming, energy decent with the depletion of fossil fuels and resultant economic instability, come join with new community members, the Kansas Permaculture Collaborative  to learn the basics of permaculture by participating in our Permacullture Design Certification Course,Re-skilling for a Sustainable Future  with our team experienced instructors from the Kansas Permaculture Institute.

The course consists of a series of eleven, three hour classroom lectures and video screenings, and six field sessions held every Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons, beginning  February 23, 2017 from 6 – 4 pm at the Dreher 4H Building, 2110 Harper Ave. Lawrence, KS.  Lecture topics include food security, permaculture ethics, ecological principles, system design, sustainable soils, food production, food forests, earth works, construction of human habitats, and creating resilient local economies food systems. The course wraps up with four, six hour hands-on practicum sessions, where students will learn about various applications of permaculture design principles.  Completion of the 72+ hours of course instruction will culminate on May 20 with the award of a Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) from the Kansas Permaculture Institute.

For more information on course content, meeting times, locations and registration go to our website: http://www.kawpermaculture.com/education-training/  or contact Steve Moring at 785-691-7305.   Cost for the course is $850.

Please join us in this adventure in sustainable living and restoration of our planet!