January 2008 Meeting Notes

djgoku

Jan 10, 2008, 3:32:15 PM1/10/08
to kc...@googlegroups.com
Meeting Notes:

* Yaifo (http://yaifo.sf.net)
* trac (http://trac.edgewall.org)
* svn (http://subversion.tigris.org)
* why we use BSDs (ease/documentation/stability/usability)
* OpenBSD package management (pkg_add/pkg_delete/pkg_info)

The presentation of yaifo wasn't the best, my local OpenBSD 4.2 repo
failed and so it took longer than I expected. Upon reboot the box
never came back up (POST lock up) so I couldn't confirm that the
install was successful until I got home.

Justin was asking of why we use OpenBSD. One reason is it is simple to
setup many services including a webserver/firewall/DNS server/DHCP
Server/NTP Server in a matter of minutes. Usually it is a matter of
adding the right stuff in /etc/rc.conf.local so the service will start
up at boot, and then starting the service. Packages are easily
installed using pkg_add though you need to know the package name or
search the ports tree to find the package name if you do not know it.

Example (Apache):

# add to /etc.rc.conf.local
httpd_flags=""

# start service, below is a shell prompt

# apachectl start
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started

Now you should be able to open a browser and browse to the webserver
and apache index page should show up.

February 2008 Meeting Information:

Date: February 14, 2008
Time: 6:00PM - 8:45PM
Location: Plaza Library
Room: Small Meeting Room

Noah

Jan 10, 2008, 3:37:04 PM1/10/08
to kc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the meeting notes.

FYI, some of us have companions who would like our attention on valentines day.  That said, I have a prior engagement and won't be able to make February's meeting.

On Jan 10, 2008 2:32 PM, djgoku <djg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Meeting Notes:

* Yaifo (http://yaifo.sf.net)
* trac (http://trac.edgewall.org)