Troostwood Youth Garden in the news!

Season Burnett, CSAC Director

Jul 15, 2009, 5:32:33 PM7/15/09
to Kansas City CSA Coalition
Troostwood Youth Garden is featured in an article by the National
Catholic Reporter!

Growing a Healthy Neighborhood Troostwood Garden started as an
activity for kids
Jul. 09, 2009
By Rich Heffern
National Catholic Reporter

"When it’s hot, Mr. John and I work with cabbage leaves on our heads,”
teenager Justin Burrell told me, then reached down, plucked one and
wore it to show what his unique fashion statement looked like.

Justin is a 19-year-old gardener with Troostwood Youth Garden in the
urban core of Kansas City, Mo. “Mr. John” is his mentor, John Kaiahua,
who has farmed for over 20 years selling his produce in a community-
supported agriculture (CSA) subscription-buying project.

Justin works at the inner-city garden with other neighborhood youth,
hoeing weeds, digging up potatoes, planting and picking all kinds of
produce, from mustard greens to beets, radishes to eggplants. Under
Kaiahua’s guidance, they start work in January, planting seedlings in
the greenhouse, and finish up in November when the last green tomatoes
are rescued from the month’s hard freezes. ...

(Read more here: http://ncronline.org/news/ecology/growing-healthy-neighborhood)