Horizon organics alert: here comes “natural”

Season Burnett, KCCSAC Director

Jul 16, 2009, 12:10:07 AM7/16/09
to Kansas City CSA Coalition
Yet another reason to build up and support our local food system -- if
you know your growers, and you support your growers, you know that the
money you spend on wholesome, organic foods are supporting *real
people,* not lining the silk pockets of some megacorporation.

(reposted from Marion Nestle's blog, "Food Politics", 7/1/09):

<i>Horizon, the commercial organic milk producer, is introducing its
first new non-organic products for children. These will be labeled
“natural,” not organic. Horizon’s press people say the products
“don’t contain growth hormones and will be easier on the pocketbook…
These are our first natural offerings in the marketplace, and Horizon
always tries to provide great-tasting products for moms and for
families.” Really?

“Natural” is an odd term. It has no regulatory meaning. Meats that
are “natural” are supposed to be minimally processed and if their
labels say they were produced without antibiotics or hormones the
statements have to be truthful and not misleading. As I discussed in
What to Eat, meat retailers can’t tell the difference between
“natural” and organic and neither can a lot of consumers. Retailers
are happy to charge the same high prices for the “natural” products
and consumers think they are buying organics. This is not a good
situation.

So why would a company ostensibly devoted to the principles and
practice of organics suddenly decide to start marketing “natural”
products? For the answer, I defer to Mark Kastel of the Cornucopia
Institute who sent this message today:

<b> The rumors have now been confirmed. Dean Foods’ WhiteWave
division has now announced that they will bring out
“natural” (conventional) dairy products under the Horizon label. This
at a time when organic dairy farmers around the country are in
financial crisis due to a glut of milk.

"They are in essence creating a new product category, “natural
dairy products,” that will directly compete with certified organic
farmers and the marketers they partner with.

"This move comes on the heels of the recent decision by Dean/
WhiteWave to switch almost the entire product offerings of their Silk
soymilk and soyfoods line to “natural” (conventional) soybeans. They
made the switch to conventional soybeans, in Silk products, without
lowering the price. Sheer profiteering.

The likelihood is that they will create this new category and
enjoy higher profits than they currently realize having to pay those
pesky organic dairy farmers a livable wage.

The news story below, from the Natural Foods Merchandise quotes
Dean Foods/WhiteWave officials saying these products will be “easier
on the pocketbook.” Yes, they will be designed to undercut certified
organic on price.

Horizon is the largest, in terms of dollar volume, organic brand
in the marketplace. Silk holds the leading market share in soyfoods
and was once, prior to Dean Foods’ acquisition, a 100% organic company
and brand.

SHAME!

Stay tuned. Dean Foods has just declared war on the organic
industry. Although the first shot has been fired it will not be the
last.

The organic farmers, consumers and ethical business people who
built this industry did so in effort to create an alternative food
system with a different set of values. We will all work hard to
defend what so many good people spent so many years to create.

Mark A. Kastel
Senior Farm Policy Analyst
The Cornucopia Institute</b></i>