Bicycle route from Old NE to Penn Valley

Janice

May 6, 2009, 6:14:55 PM5/6/09
to KC Bike Commuters
I'm going to try biking to work for Bike Week next week. I've thought
about doing it before but have always been concerned about finding a
safe route, both in terms of traffic and safety (as in, avoiding high
crime areas).

My main concern is getting through downtown to Midtown. I'm starting
out in the Old Northeast (north and east of downtown KC, by the
original KC Museum) and going to Penn Valley Community College. I'm
thinking about taking Independence Ave. to Charlotte, then taking
Charlotte to 31st St. and then Broadway. Is anyone familiar with this
general route or have a better idea?

Thanks,

Janice

Michael Coons

May 6, 2009, 10:47:46 PM5/6/09
to kc-bike-...@googlegroups.com
Janice,

It seems that that might be better in the evening, but in the morning, I would just head down Admiral to Grand and all the way down Grand to Union Station, (or even McGee or Oak if you want a bit less travelled), then up through Penn Valley Park near Liberty Memorial. You'd be amazed at how little traffic there is in the morning downtown, especially before 7:30.  Charlotte from 17th to 31st is a giant hill and might be a bit daunting for your first ride, but it is whatever makes you comfortable.

Also remember there is always the Max to assist in the commute if you get tired...

Good luck!