Fwd: [KanBikeWalk] K-7 & 55th St/Johnson Drive Interchange Public Information Open House, Thursday, Feb, 18

Eric Rogers

Feb 17, 2010, 3:44:17 PM2/17/10
to kc-bike-...@googlegroups.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dale Crawford <kan...@comcast.net>
Date: February 17, 2010 1:52:42 PM CST
To: Cycling-n-JC <Cyclin...@yahoogroups.com>, KanBikeWalk <KanBi...@yahoogroups.com>, ChicksnRoos <Chick...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [KanBikeWalk] K-7 & 55th St/Johnson Drive Interchange Public Information Open House, Thursday, Feb, 18

K-7 & 55th St./Johnson Drive Interchange Public Information Open House
When:  Thursday, Feb 18 from 6:00-8:00 PM
Where:  Monticello Middle School, 6100 Monticello, Shawnee

Please read the press release below from KDOT on a new interchange for K-7 & 55th St/Johnson Drive.  If you've ever bicycled in western Shawnee, you've more than likely been through this intersection.  It's where a lot of us get on K-7 to head north over the Kansas River to Bonner Springs.  Here's you chance to see what's proposed and to see if they've listened to the bicycle communities requests for bike lanes and accommodations.

Here's what KanBikeWalk has been recommending:
Bike lanes east-west through the interchange project area
Continued bicycle access to K-7 to cross the Kansas River
Trail paralleling K-7
Sidewalks on both sides of the bridge for novice bicyclists and pedestrians to cross K-7.
Bike lanes and sidewalks at all other overpass and underpass on K-7, such as at the proposed overpass at Clear Creek Parkway.

KanBikeWalk has routinely stressed the need for bike lanes and sidewalks at all interchanges, overpass and underpass whether the local roads approaching the interchange have bike lanes or not.  Bicycle use, as well as motorist use, at these locations is always greater than the surrounding roads as they are the only crossings of freeways, such as K-7.

KDOT is providing more and more opportunities for the public, including bicyclists, to be involved in the transportation planning and project design process.  It's up to us, as bicyclists, to take advantage of the opportunity when it knocks.  KDOT is knocking, so lets be sure to open the door by attending.

Maybe today's sunshine will last through tomorrow and some of us can ride to the meeting.  Wouldn't that be a novelty this winter!
Dale Crawford, RLA, ASLA
KanBikeWalk Vice-President

cid:image003.png@01CAAA60.D48FB2D0

Kansas Department of Transportation News Release

February 10, 2010                                                                            10-006-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

News Contact:  Kimberly Qualls, (785) 640-9340 or kqu...@ksdot.org

Public Info Open House Set for K-7 & 55th Street/Johnson Drive Interchange Project in Johnson County

The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is hosting a Public Information Open House for the K-7 & 55th Street/Johnson Drive interchange project in Johnson County on Thursday, February 18 at theMonticello Trails Middle School, 6100 Monticello Road in Shawnee.  The public is invited to drop by the open house anytime between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
We invite anyone interested in the interchange project to come and learn about the project, and view displays for construction phasing and potential traffic impacts.  KDOT, City of Shawnee, and consultant staff will be on hand to answer questions about the interchange project.
When the interchange project is completed, 55th Street/Johnson Drive will run under K-7.  The project includes construction of a roundabout to merge the K-7 on- and off-ramps with 55th Street/Johnson Drive.  A second roundabout will be built west of K-7 at the intersection of Hedge Lane Terrace and 55th Street.  Also included with this project are the construction of Hedge Lane Terrace south to Clear Creek Parkway and the construction of a side-road overpass at Clear Creek Parkway and K-7.
Miles Excavating, Inc. (Basehor, KS) is the primary contractor with a total contract cost of $21.4 million.  Project construction is scheduled to begin in mid-March 2010, with a tentative completion date of fall 2011.  The K-7 & 55th Street/Johnson Drive interchange project is a cooperative effort, funded in part by KDOT and the City of Shawnee.
If you are in need of a sign language interpreter, an assistive listening device, large print or Braille material, or other accommodations to attend this open house, please notify Kimberly Qualls at (785) 296-3881 at least 48 hours prior to the open house.  Requests may also be addressed to the Kansas Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Information, 700 SW Harrison Street, 2nd Floor West, Topeka, Kansas 66603-3754 or phone (785) 296-3585 (Voice)/ Hearing Impaired – 711.  For more information or questions, please contact Kimberly Qualls, Northeast Kansas Public Affairs Manager, at (785) 640-9340.
###

Kimberly K. Qualls
NE Kansas Public Affairs Manager
Kansas Dept. of Transportation