release candidate for 2.1 release

Takashi Matsuo

Jan 23, 2012, 8:56:24 PM1/23/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to release kay-2.1 in few weeks.

However, I'd rather not compile any release candidate for 2.1 as an
independent version this time.
Please consider py27 branch as a release candidate for the new version.

So if you think there's any blocking problem there, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Takashi Matsuo
matsuo....@gmail.com

Prateek Malhotra

Jan 25, 2012, 11:01:31 AM1/25/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
The latest changes break some NDB functionality in my code. This is in part due to an odd use case that I don't require but it may come into play at some point. The error I'm getting is: 'MethodDecoratorAdaptor' object has no attribute '__name__'

It's probably due to a update_wrapper missing somewhere in the code, though I'll take a look into this to verify.

Example:

@context.toplevel
@no_cache
def view_function(request):

-Prateek

Prateek Malhotra

Jan 25, 2012, 11:46:49 AM1/25/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
And of course this was resolved by switching to:
@no_cache
@context.toplevel
def view_function(request):

But this got me thinking about stacking multiple decorators on a single function (say to require_login and no_cache). This can be resolved by removing line 34 of kay.utils.decorators (A change I submitted before I realized how the execution flow of all these wrappers were occurring). Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue with using @context.toplevel above any other decorator since it expects a func_code attribute on the wrapped function (which isn't updated using update_wrapper or anything of the sort). We can manually do this but I'm not sure what implications that has.

Let me know if this makes sense and if the change should be applied! I've submitted a patch to the issue tracker (Issue #114).

Thanks,
Prateek

Paolo Casciello

Jan 26, 2012, 4:01:37 AM1/26/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using the latest py27 branch and it works fine for me.

There's also to organize a bit the issues on the tracker checking what is still actual and what is obsolete/not applicable.

Paolo

Takashi Matsuo

Jan 26, 2012, 4:44:39 PM1/26/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Prateek,

I've just added a test case for stacked decorators.
Thanks for reporting!

--
Takashi Matsuo
matsuo....@gmail.com

Takashi Matsuo

Jan 26, 2012, 4:48:20 PM1/26/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paolo,

2012/1/26 Paolo Casciello <paolo.c...@gmail.com>:

Definitely! I'll work on it shortly.

BTW, are you interested in becoming a contributor of this project?
If so, I can add you as a contributor.

--
Takashi Matsuo
matsuo....@gmail.com

> Paolo

> --
> "kay-users" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/kay-users/-/sRU8RNsG7NgJ.

Paolo Casciello

Jan 26, 2012, 4:56:26 PM1/26/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Takashi,

Sure, I'm interested and honored. :)

Paolo

Takashi Matsuo

Jan 27, 2012, 12:16:08 AM1/27/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Paolo,

I've just added you to our contributors. Welcome!
Please feel free to triage the issues ;)

When you want to submit any change directly, please let me know. We'd
better do some code review or something like that.

--
Takashi Matsuo
matsuo....@gmail.com

Paolo Casciello

Jan 27, 2012, 3:53:15 PM1/27/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First, thank you. Sigh... the triaging job no one wants... :D

For the code review.. i was thinking... we could use a different tool since google code doesn't (yet) support a good system like the pull request in bitbucket and github.

I know its little tricky but we could:
1) move the entire code development on a cloned repo on bitbucket using pull requests (or not) and synchronize the official code.google regularly.
2) move the entire project on bitbucket keeping google code as a backup and for the old links pointing to that.
... and obviously ...
3) keep it the actual way and i'll commit on my cloned repo on bitbucket so we can code review changes there before pushing to the official repo

I have also another idea for the docs. Why don't we use the great service offered free for open source projects by http://readthedocs.org/ ?
It offers free sphinx documentation hosting integrated with hg repos. So we only have to link our repo to it and they will keep documentation built and available. It's configurable for wich tags to watch and so on. I used that site, as a reader, a lot. :)

Bye,
  Paolo

Prateek Malhotra

Jan 30, 2012, 10:48:29 AM1/30/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
For Code Review, have you looked at codereview.appspot.com? Seems befitting to use an app-engine powered service and its what the BDFL uses for the NDB project.

-Prateek

  Paolo

Paolo Casciello

Jan 30, 2012, 11:12:34 AM1/30/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
It's retvield by Guido Van Rossum.
I was aware of that but I've never used it. I always preferred something like the pull requests of GH and BB.
But I've also never noticed there's the "submit code review" option in a repo hosted on google code that i this uses rietveld as a code reviewer tool.
My fault but i've never used an owned repo on google code. :(

So it's better if i migrate my devel kay repo on google code and try that :)

Nickolas Daskalou

Apr 4, 2012, 9:38:00 AM4/4/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

After an absence of over a year I am finally back developing on App Engine again (very excited!).

I've had a quick try of the py27 branch and notice that the PER_DOMAIN_SETTINGS setting is no longer supported.

One of my older projects which I have resumed work on uses this setting, and I would love to move that project onto python 2.7.

Is there a suggested way to migrate old projects which relied on the PER_DOMAIN_SETTINGS setting?

Cheers,

Nick

Takashi Matsuo

Apr 25, 2012, 2:08:54 PM4/25/12
to kay-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back Nickolas!

2012/4/4 Nickolas Daskalou <ni...@daskalou.com>:
Yeah, I didn't think anyone is using it, and threw it away. Sorry about that.
I'll try to get it back shortly.

Happy coding :)

--
Takashi Matsuo