Julyen Hamilton in Amsterdam January 2021

1 view

Katie Duck

Nov 18, 2020, 6:10:13 PM11/18/20
to katied...@googlegroups.com

Dear All, Each and Everybody!

The urgency to teach and learn and share and explore and make rolls onwards completely unbounded by virus and our present situation. Attempting to make this practically possible, Weijke and I have determined to arrange the annual Amsterdam Course for this coming January 2021!
We have a fine space and warm wishes to make it possible.
For different reasons we have decided upon a 7 full-day version January 4 t/m 10th.

We know that for many of you, travelling and attending a course ‘in the flesh’ is not as simple as it was a year ago but we feel we can have it still be a good possibility to aim and head for.
If you agree and are wishing for time in the studio with others, working intently and intensely on the advanced basics which you know interest me, then make contact as soon as you can.

Weijke’s email is below and here are the details of the course.
Do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Be well, be wise....until Jan’21

Julyen Hamilton

‘evolving technique and making dances’

Julyen Hamilton’s teaching investigates deeply the creative act and the technique needed to accompany and facilitate it. His vision of technique is one which observes how things are made, how they function and how knowledge, experience and intuition can be used to create the work we each need to make. It naturally enters the world of physiology, philosophy, culture, imagination
and the future. In recent years the compositional elements of major concern have been time, space, dramaturgy, music and the voice; they stem from his experience as a dancer who creates and organises material instantly before the public. The basic work is the handling of the body and the ‘speaking’ from it in space, motion and time. Its coordination and its relationship to the material it creates – and then to the sharing of it in performance. His ability to distil and convey essential principles allows dancers from a wide range of backgrounds to engage in his methodology.

JULYEN HAMILTON is a dancer / choreographer / poet / teacher / musician. He has been making and performing dances for 40 years throughout the world. Born and brought up in England he trained in London in the 1970’s, a time of radical experimentation, he has been an exponent of innovative performance since that time. His work is mostly improvised : he composes dance works instantly as well as the texts which often accompany them. His work with text is unique. It fuses naturally his long-term writing practice with his refined skills in dancing. When working with his company ALLEN’S LINE he directs dancers and lighting designers to make and perform work through this same immediacy. Since the 80’s he has performed constantly in close collaboration with many of the highest quality musicians from all over Europe. It is with some of these musicians that he gives readings of his poetry. He is at present performing the solos  ‘INTERVIEW’and ‘HELD DEAR’ and  performing with bass player Barre Phillips amongst many others.

 With his company ALLEN’S LINE, he has been performing their latest piece ‘BURST’ in Rome, Paris, Bruxelles and France. They are in preparation fro their next piece ‘THIRST’ which was to have premiered in Paris in November.
As a pianist he plays regularly with 'Hamilton Carroll' in Berlin and Brussels. Their first cd ‘POINTER’ was released in 2016. His label ‘Bluedog Publishing.net’ produces videos of his performances on DVD. CDs and print. His new poetry album ‘Jack Gets Out of Prison’ with bassist Wilbert de Joode was released in 2018. he is at present working on a piano / bass album with bass player Giorgos Kokkinaris.

Practicalities:
Dates: january 4 until 10 2021
Price: € 380,-
Place: Dokzaal, Plantage Dokzaal 8, Amsterdam
Times: Daily from 11 to 17 h

Registration:
To register for the workshop please send an email with your name, address, telephone, your dance/movement history and your reasons for wishing to attend to wei...@weijkekoopmans.nl.
At the same time to ensure your place a deposit of € 100,-must be made into bank account NL35INGB0006164128, in the name of A.W. Koopmans, Weesp.
BIC code is INGBNL2A.
The rest of the fee must be paid before the workshop starts.

Please notewei...@weijkekoopmans.nl is my new mail address.
P1000333.JPG