Kasabi Community

1 view

Zach Beauvais

Oct 14, 2011, 8:50:44 AM10/14/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,

Before the weekend, I wanted to let you know about some things happening with the developer community.

There is now a survey up and open to Kasabi users, with a prize at the end of a new Amazon Kindle giveaway.  The survey takes about 5 minutes, and I'd encourage you to take part, as it helps me to understand where folk are coming from when they interact with Kasabi, and what they'd most like to get out of it.  If the link above doesn't display, you can access the survey at this url:

Also, we've had some interest in the Barn-raising for queries on 28th October. This is an informal gathering with a purpose: to create useful and/or interesting queries across any dataset in Kasabi. I see it as particularly useful to be able to answer questions or perform tasks from datasets, then save and share them with others.

You're welcome to join us on the 28th on IRC (#kasabi freenode.net) and Google+ Hangout (will post link to the live hangout on the morning).

So, there's a Kindle up for grabs, and a barn-full of queries to raise.

Cheers!

-Z

---
Zach Beauvais | @zbeauvais
Community Manager, Kasabi

Talis Systems Limited
43 Temple Row
Birmingham, B2 5LS

email: z...@talis.com
skype: zbeauvais
phone: 07775 870 362

Zach Beauvais

Oct 24, 2011, 8:36:53 AM10/24/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,

Just wanted to remind everyone about the Query Barn Raising this Friday, where we'll be gathering virtually on IRC, Google+, and anywhere else you'd like us to be, to contribute queries to make datasets more useful.

As an example of the kinds of queries that perform tasks and answer questions about a dataset, the Yahoo Geoplanet set is a good one to take a look at.

"Describe a Place with a given WOEID"

PREFIX rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>
PREFIX geop: <http://data.kasabi.com/dataset/yahoo-geoplanet/schema/>
DESCRIBE ?s WHERE {
  ?s geop:woeid "2077746"
}

A few lines, and we get a detailed description of a place by id.

This will be a good opportunity to try out some SPARQL ideas, or to learn more about querying structured data, so please feel free to join in if you have some questions to answer, and would like to turn them into queries.

I'll post a link to the Hangout in the morning once it's up and running... and make sure to comb my hair :).

Cheers,

-Z

Terry Leach

Oct 24, 2011, 11:51:51 AM10/24/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Zach,

Will there be one place where all the information contributed during Query Barn Raising be located?

Terry

Zach Beauvais

Oct 24, 2011, 11:59:37 AM10/24/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

Good question. Each set has its own area for queries, and they're dataset-specific, so there isn't really a central pool of them.

It sounds like a good idea to have a kind of notebook where everyone can make note of them though, doesn't it?

Any suggestions?

-Z

---
Zach Beauvais | @zbeauvais