API to subscribe to Datasets

Andreas Harth

Nov 2, 2011, 12:02:21 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is there an API to list datasets available in Kasabi?

Also, is there an API to subscribe to datasets, or do I have to do
that manually?

Cheers,
Andreas.

Julian Higman

Nov 2, 2011, 12:51:24 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas

There is a directory of datasets at http://data.kasabi.com/datasets
(and VoID descriptions for each one). Does that help?

There isn't currently an API for subscribing to datasets, but it's
something that we may well add if there is demand for it. Part of the
process for subscribing is agreeing to the licence terms for the
dataset, so this would have to be handled in an API call too.. Do you
have a particular use case in mind?

Cheers, Julian.

Barry Norton

Nov 2, 2011, 12:56:15 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com

Can one now request this (the collection, not the individual VoiDs) in RDF? I remember asking for this at the pre-launch...

Barry

Julian Higman

Nov 2, 2011, 1:20:55 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry

The dataset index certainly should be available as RDF and JSON (and
it has been previously, I think ) - but from the looks of it it's not
at the moment.

I'll investigate and find out why not.

Cheers, Julian.

Julian Higman

Nov 2, 2011, 3:57:34 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've had a look at the dataset index - you CAN request it in other
formats (json, rdf) if you're using the Accept header to select a
format, e.g.

curl http://data.kasabi.com/datasets -H "Accept:application/rdf+xml"

or using the "output" parameter, e.g.

curl "http://data.kasabi.com/datasets?output=json"

However, it DOESN'T currently respond to selecting the format using
the file extension, .e.g.

curl http://data.kasabi.com/datasets.rdf

We'll put a fix for this in the next release of the api layer.

Thanks very much for pointing it out!

Cheers, Julian.

Leigh Dodds

Nov 2, 2011, 4:02:08 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget there's also the Kasabi Directory dataset which includes a copy of all of the VoiD descriptions.

Cheers,

L.
--
Leigh Dodds
Product Lead, Kasabi

Talis Systems Ltd
43 Temple Row
Birmingham
B2 5LS

Barry Norton

Nov 2, 2011, 4:05:12 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com

Nice, I had forgot.

Negotiating RDF using an Accept header is good for me too (the 'proper way').

Following up on Andreas' point, though, maybe a good standard interface would be RSS? Essentially that's (part of) what the Kasabi blog does at the human-readable level...

Barry

Julian Higman

Nov 2, 2011, 4:53:22 PM11/2/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry

There is an RSS feed of datasets on the website, at http://kasabi.com/rss.xml.

Currently, though, it just gives the 10 latest datasets, and the links
that it gives are links to the homepage on the website for the
dataset, rather than to the void description (so not sure if that'll
be as useful as it might be).

Cheers, Julian.