Kasabi Directory dataset

Leigh Dodds

Oct 7, 2011, 11:44:32 AM10/7/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Right from launch we've exposed machine-readable metadata about the
datasets in Kasabi. This is all available at:

http://data.kasabi.com.

We've improved that quite a bit over the last few months and there's
still a lot more we can do. But I thought I'd collect up a (static)
snapshot of the data and use it to create a Kasabi dataset.

http://kasabi.com/dataset/kasabi-directory

Despite being a bit of recursive fun, it's also potentially useful if
anyone is interested in building some better data discovery interfaces
on Kasabi. Right now our search and browse capability is fairly basic,
but we've got plenty of ideas of how to improve that, largely by
drawing on more information about the datasets themselves.

But access to the basic metadata, via the Kasabi APIs, means that
anyone can explore this too. So, for example, you can use it to find
datasets that contain the same RDF classes, by querying the void class
partitions.

If anyone plays with it, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds
Product Lead, Kasabi

Talis Systems Ltd
43 Temple Row
Birmingham
B2 5LS

Maali, Fadi

Oct 9, 2011, 9:42:51 PM10/9/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh/all,

Based on the directory dataset, I built a matrix visualization of the
classes distribution across datasets. It can be seen here:
http://kasabi-directory.appspot.com/index.html

It is currently crowded and not very useful, but I hope that it might
help gaining some insights.

I blogged about the process and the future plans
(http://sheeeer.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/kasabi-directory-matrix/) and
shared the code on github
(https://github.com/fadmaa/Kasabi-directory-matrix/)

Hope someone might find this helpful.

Regards,
Fadi

Zach Beauvais

Oct 10, 2011, 6:54:10 AM10/10/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fadi,

That's cool! It looks a bit like one of those DNA sequences you see on forensic cop shows.

Do you think a sub-section would work in that kind of matrix to compare different kinds of data (like via category: media, government…)?

-Z

---

Maali, Fadi

Oct 10, 2011, 7:10:12 AM10/10/11
to kasab...@googlegroups.com

Hi Zach,

The sub-section idea sounds cool and useful. I think it is a bit challenging to define an easy way for users to interact with the matrix but definitely is worth investigating.  I will add it to the TODO list and keep the mailing list posted in case of progress.

Regards,

Fadi