Fw: [Nativewriters] Digest Number 2526

1 view

Judi Armbruster

Aug 6, 2012, 8:01:23 AM8/6/12
to karuknews

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Native...@yahoogroups.com" <Native...@yahoogroups.com>
To: Native...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 5:25 AM
Subject: [Nativewriters] Digest Number 2526

7 New Messages

Digest #2526

Messages

Sun Aug 5, 2012 5:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Emergency Management is the second full-length play by Jason Grasl, a
member of the Blackfeet tribe
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Blackfoot_ Confederacy> . He is an actor.
Among his Native Voices acting credits are Teaching Disco Square Dancing
to Our Elders and The Further Adventures of Super Indian. Other stage
credits include The Blame of Love (which he also wrote), From Little
Seeds, Trophies and Tony n Tina's Wedding

http://theaterofone world.org/ 2012/08/03/ native-american- news-native- voic\
es-at-the-autry- gives-first- look-to-suspense ful-play- by-native- american- \
actor-oct-25/

<http://theaterofone world.org/ 2012/08/03/ native-american- news-native- voi\
ces-at-the-autry- gives-first- look-to-suspense ful-play- by-native- american\
-actor-oct-25/

Native American News | Native Voices at the Autry gives "First
Look" to suspenseful play by Native American actor, Oct. 25
Posted on August 3, 2012

[Jason Grasl, an actor, workshops his new play "Emergency Management" |
Photo by Sylvia Mautner Photography]
<http://theaterofone world.org/ 2012/08/03/ native-american- news-native- voi\
ces-at-the-autry- gives-first- look-to-suspense ful-play- by-native- american\
-actor-oct-25/ nv-sm/

Jason Grasl, an actor, workshops his new play "Emergency
Management" | Photo by Sylvia Mautner Photography

LOS ANGELES | A non-Native family adopts a Cheyenne boy. The adopted
kid becomes a rising political star in Arizona. His sister is kidnapped
abroad and held for ransom. What is the Cheyenne kid, who tries too hard
to be everything to everyone, going to do?

The suspenseful narrative of a new play Emergency Management will be
given a free staged reading by Native Voices at the Autry, USA
<http://maps. google.com/ maps?ll=38. 8833333333, -77.0166666667& spn=10.0, 10\
.0&q=38.8833333333, -77.0166666667% 20%28United% 20States% 29&t=h
> `s
only equity theater company <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Theatre>
dedicated exclusively to developing the work of Native American
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Race_and_ ethnicity_ in_the_United_ States_Ce\
nsus
> playwrights. Reading will take place Thursday, October 25, 2012,
7:30 pm, at the Wells Fargo Theater at The Autry National Center
<http://maps. google.com/ maps?ll=34. 148572,-118. 28181&spn= 0.01,0.01& q=34.\
148572,-118. 28181%20% 28Autry%20Nation al%20Center% 29&t=h
> in Griffith
Park
<http://maps. google.com/ maps?ll=34. 1333333333, -118.3&spn= 0.01,0.01& q=34.\
1333333333,- 118.3%20% 28Griffith% 20Park%29& t=h
> . It will be followed by
an audience talk back.

Those of us who have been passionate about Native American theater
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Theater_of_ the_United_ States> wish that
this were more than a ready. We wish it were an actual production. But
that is just how it is in the American theater today, especially the
do-gooder-but- do-nothing mainstream nonprofit world where they don't
take risks on new writers. Let's be serious: Have you ever heard of
this play's author Jason Grasl? If you said no, then I've proven
my point. In the American theater today being a known quantity matters.

Which is why, if you are in the Los Angeles area, you might want to
check out this reading, part of Native Voices' signature FIRST LOOK
SERIES: Plays in Progress, which brings playwrights together with
professional directors, dramaturgs, and actors for a workshop and public
presentation at the Autry, providing an important next step in the
play's development.

Emergency Management is the second full-length play by Jason Grasl, a
member of the Blackfeet tribe
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Blackfoot_ Confederacy> . He is an actor.
Among his Native Voices acting credits are Teaching Disco Square Dancing
to Our Elders and The Further Adventures of Super Indian. Other stage
credits include The Blame of Love (which he also wrote), From Little
Seeds, Trophies and Tony n Tina's Wedding. Grasl's film credits
include Fantasy Football: The Movie, The Seminarian, April's Fools
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ April_Fools% 27_Day> and Banking. Most
recently, he appeared in the webseries "Fallout: Nuka Break,"
based on the Fallout video game series.

WHO: Native Voices at the Autry, America's leading Native American
theatre company

WHAT: First Look Series: Plays in Progress
Reading of Emergency Management, by Jason Grasl (Blackfeet*)
Executive Producers: Randy Reinholz (Choctaw*) and Jean Bruce Scott
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Jean_Bruce_ Scott>

WHEN:
Thursday, October 25, 2012, 7:30 pm

WHERE:
Wells Fargo Theater
The Autry National Center
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA
<http://maps. google.com/ maps?ll=34. 05,-118.25& spn=0.1,0. 1&q=34.05, -118.2\
5%20%28Los%20Angele s%29&t=h
> 90027-1462

TICKET PRICES:
FREE

INFO:
323 667-2000, ext. 299
www.NativeVoicesatt heAutry.org

Sun Aug 5, 2012 5:23 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

"They wanted to see if the Houma Nation still lived on the land like
they did way back," Jay Paul explained. "They asked, `who do
you think is the best on the bayou?' and everyone said `RJ
Molinere, that's the alligator man.' My dad said he wasn't
filming without me. So that's how they got me and my dad."
They're genuine people and represent the Houma Nation and Indian
country very well.

http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/04/the- history-channel\
s-swamp-people- houma-nation- stars-are- hosted-at- julyamsh- 125196

<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/04/the- history-channe\
ls-swamp-people- houma-nation- stars-are- hosted-at- julyamsh- 125196

The History Channel's Swamp People Houma Nation Stars are Hosted at
Julyamsh By Jack McNeel August 4, 2012 [R.J. and Jay Paul Molinere]
http://armwrestling 24h.blogspot. com/ R.J. and Jay Paul Molinere
* Read More:
* Houma Nation
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ houma-nation>
* Julyamsh <http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ julyamsh>
* Pow Wows <http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ pow-wows>

"Alligators in the swamp have no predators," Jay Paul said.
"An alligator is a killing machine. If he thinks it's edible
he's going to eat it. They'll try anything." The crowd had
lots of questions and Jay Paul and RJ Molinere answered them all.

Have you ever watched the TV show Swamp People on the History Channel?
<http://www.history. com/shows/ swamp-people> If not, put it on your list
of things to do this fall as two members of the Houma Nation, RJ
Molinere and his son, Jay Paul, are featured on the show. They are shown
doing what they would be doing anyway – killing alligators. Living
off the land and bayous, fishing, crabbing, shrimping, hunting,
trapping—all components that have long been a way of life for these
people of Louisiana.

They were hosted at Julyamsh Powwow
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/pow- wows> in mid-July by the
Coeur d'Alene Tribe, and during their two days here the line of
people to meet them, to have a photo taken with them, and perhaps
purchase a T-shirt and have it autographed, seemed never ending. It was
obvious the show was well known and well liked, and, that RJ and Jay
Paul are a big part of that.

Hunting alligators has been part of RJ's life since he was little,
and he finds the past two years of Swamp People rather amazing.
"Three years ago I would have never thought that a show like the
History Channel brought out would have turned out like this. I've
been catching alligators for close to 36 years. The History
Channel's sharing it with the world."

Hunting alligators has also been a major part of RJ's income for
many years. He says that when he started he received about $80 a foot
for each animal taken. Times have changed for a variety of reasons, and
prices are now much lower, about $28 a foot for the larger alligators
and down to half that amount for smaller ones. Last year, the two of
them, working as a team, filled their 525 alligator tags during the
month-long, September season. The big difference now is they will have
from one to five cameramen in the boat with them to film their work for
the show.

In addition to their fame in hunting alligators, both men are
exceptional athletes. RJ is an outstanding arm wrestler, having won four
World Championships at 154 pounds. He is an eleven time National
Champion, two time Arnold Classic Armwrestling Champion, and two time
GNC champion.

Jay Paul, now 23, calls himself an adrenaline junkie and is a golden
gloves champion and an undefeated mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter.

There is one drawback to the notoriety that came with the TV show; the
time now spent traveling the country to attend fishing and hunting shows
and pow wows cuts into other hobbies. "We don't get to hunt as
much. We don't get to work out as much. I don't get to arm
wrestle as much and Jay doesn't get to fight as much – things
like that," RJ said.

"But it's for the people," RJ explains. "We put that on
hold a little while. It's more of a spirit. We put that other stuff
aside and take care of the stuff that needs to be taken care of." He
explained that at many shows the lines to meet them continues nonstop
for 7 or 8 hours at a time.

This trip to Julyamsh <http://www.julyamsh .com/> provided an
opportunity to bring part of the family along and make it partly a
vacation. "This was real special," RJ said. His wife Stacey and
daughter Brittany both made the trip, along with her youngsters,
A'yiana and Jhai. The adults helped out selling T-shirts and
greeting the visitors.

The men are very gracious, frequently standing to shake hands or to
encourage someone to come forward who might be a little shy.

A question and answer period provided opportunities to hear a little bit
more about what these men are like. About guns Jay Paul replied, "My
dad started me. I love guns. I'm a gun fanatic. That's how I was
raised. When I'm home I've always got a gun on me,
[Swamp 1. Jay Paul and RJ on stage answering questions 270x221 The
History Channel's Swamp People Houma Nation Stars are Hosted at
Julyamsh]
Jay Paul and RJ on stage answering questions

I'm out in the woods, shooting, target practicing, I'm doing it
all."

About steel toed boots, Jay Paul explained he always wears them when
hunting gators. "If I hadn't had steel toed boots that
(particular) day, the alligator would have taken half my foot off."

Asked why the fishing lines of others on the show sometimes break and
theirs don't, Jay Paul replied. "We use a light weight nylon
braided rope and theirs is nylon." He added that they also use a
different caliber rifle. "Me and my dad are different from all
others. That's Native pride is what it is," he laughed.

How were they selected for the show? "They wanted to see if the
Houma Nation still lived on the land like they did way back," Jay
Paul explained. "They asked, `who do you think is the best on
the bayou?' and everyone said `RJ Molinere, that's the
alligator man.' My dad said he wasn't filming without me. So
that's how they got me and my dad."

They're genuine people and represent the Houma Nation and Indian
country very well.

Read
more:http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/04/the- history-ch\
annels-swamp- people-houma- nation-stars- are-hosted- at-julyamsh- 125196

http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/04/the- history-channel\
s-swamp-people- houma-nation- stars-are- hosted-at- julyamsh- 125196#ixzz22fo\
wzolA

<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/04/the- history-channe\
ls-swamp-people- houma-nation- stars-are- hosted-at- julyamsh- 125196#ixzz22f\
owzolA

Sun Aug 5, 2012 5:44 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

First, the book was written by David Treuer, who is a tribal member of
the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe. And, second, Treuer writes about his own
reservation and several others. Readers will be pleased to know David
Treuer's latest book "Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation
Life" is different in at least two ways.

http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/rez-life- goes-way- beyond-diane- sawyer-r\
iding-a-horse- on-the-pine- ridge-indian- reservation. html

<http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/rez-life- goes-way- beyond-diane- sawyer-\
riding-a-horse- on-the-pine- ridge-indian- reservation. html

Book Review "Rez Life" Goes Way Beyond Diane Sawyer Riding a Horse on
the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life
By David Treur
Atlantic Monthly Press | 330 pp | $17.16
ISBN: 9780802119711

Levi Rickert, editor-in-chief in Entertainment.

posted August 4, 2012 8:50 am edt

Discussion »
<http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/rez-life- goes-way- beyond-diane- sawyer-\
riding-a-horse- on-the-pine- ridge-indian- reservation. html#rez- life-goes- w\
ay-beyond-diane- sawyer-riding- a-horse-on- the-pine- ridge-indian- reservati\
on

Americans seem to have a fascination with American Indian reservations.

Eleven years ago, Ian Frazier wrote a book called "On the Rez." Last
fall, Oprah Winfrey's OWN channel ran "Life on the Rez" segment on "Our
America with Lisa Ling." Last October, ABC's "20/20" featured a segment
with Diane Sawyer reporting on an Indian reservation called "A Hidden
America: Children of the Plains."

[Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe] 300 American Indian Reservations to Choose
From

This month The National Geographic's cover story is "In the Spirit of
Crazy Horse: Rebirth of a Sioux Nation."

In all four cited cases, the reservation featured was the Pine Ridge
Indian Reservation.

Even though there are some 300 American Indian reservations in the
United States, the media seem to get stuck on the Pine Ridge Indian
Reservation in South Dakota.

Readers will be pleased to know David Treuer's latest book "Rez Life: An
Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life" is different in at least two
ways. First, the book was written by Treuer, who is a tribal member of
the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe. And, second, Treuer writes about his own
reservation and several others.

Treuer is an author of three novels. He is a winner of a Pushcart Prize,
the Minnesota Book Award, and fellowships from the Guggenheim
Foundation. He teaches literature and creative writing at USC.

Treuer points out reservations were the remainder of lands negotiated by
American Indian tribes to the United States federal government. The
Ojibwe word for "reservation" is "ishkonigan, " which means in English
"leftovers."

The title of the book "Rez Life" was taken from Treuer's cousin, Jesse,
who has the words tattooed in gang styled lettering just under the arc
of his ribcage.

In his own words in the Author's Notes section, Treuer writes:
"Like reservations themselves, this book is a hybrid. It has
elements of journalism, history and memoir."
This hybrid results in a balanced treatment that is refreshing because
it captures more of the essence of reservations that non-Indians don't
come to close to capturing. For instance, apparently Diane Sawyer thinks
Americans still want to see Indians riding horses. So, in "A Hidden
America: Children of the Plains," she decided she wanted to go along for
a ride too. Whenever I think about her depiction, I still remember the
image of her bouncing hair riding horses with Indian kids smiling in her
segment. It seemed so contrived.

Treuer, on the other hand, provides an array of chapters laced with
conversations he had with American Indians. Anytime there are quotation
marks, he actually has audio tape to back up the subject's words. This
is not short of good journalism in action. One senses the realness by
frustration in Indian voices. Life on the rez can be frustrating.

[Rez Life Book] A Truer Sense of
American Indian history
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 0802119719/ ref=as_li_ qf_sp_asin_ tl?ie=\
UTF8&camp=1789& creative= 9325&creativeASI N=0802119719& linkCode= as2&tag=na\
tnewnet-20

The Indians depicted in "Rez Life" are real. Their voices are real. They
are the voices American Indians are used to hearing. They relay the
realness of being Indian living on reservations.

Fortunately, Treuer is not afraid to present real life situations that
have gripped American Indians during the past generation. Particularly,
he writes about the problems with fishing rights in Great Lakes states
on Indian reservations. He writes about the racism experienced by
Indians who have simply tried to protect their treaty rights.

Other issues Treuer is not afraid to confront are issues confronted by
American Indians who live on reservations surrounding vast poverty,
alcoholism and sovereignty.

Treuer even allows into tragedy in his own family. Early in the book, he
recounts how he went back to the Leech Lake Indian Reservation on the
day his eighty-three year old grandfather committed suicide. Again, this
is real - an Indian committing suicide on an Indian reservation.

"Rez Life" is a poignant book that will leave the reader a truer sense
of American Indian history that goes way beyond what others are willing
to do or are even capable of doing in depicting Indian life on
reservations… the leftovers.

To Americans fascinated with American Indian reservations should order
this book today. With six weeks left of summer, It makes for great
summertime reading.

posted August 4, 2012 8:50 am edt

Sun Aug 5, 2012 6:05 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Micah Ling earned her MFA in poetry at Indiana University. She has three
collections of poetry, published by Sunnyoutside Press (Buffalo, NY):
Three Islands
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513180? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513253? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513350? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
> . In 2011, she won the Eugene & Marilyn Glick Indiana Emerging Author
Award <http://www.butler. edu/absolutenm/ templates/ ?a=3032> .

http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/
<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/>
More Poetry And Conversation With Micah Ling By Romayne Rubinas Dorsey
<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ author/rrubinas/> Posted
August 5, 2012
<http://www.reddit. com/submit? url=http: //indianapublicm edia.org/ poetswea\
ve/micah-ling- 2-2/

<http://digg. com/submit? url=http: //indianapublicm edia.org/ poetsweave/ mic\
ah-ling-2-2/

<http://www.stumbleu pon.com/submit? url=http: //indianapublicm edia.org/ poe\
tsweave/micah- ling-2-2/

<http://del.icio. us/post?v= 4&noui&jump= close&url= http://indianapu blicmed\
ia.org/poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/&title= More%20Poetry% 20And%20Conversa ti\
on%20With%20Micah% 20Ling

<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/emailpopup/ ?Kee\
pThis=true&TB_ iframe=true& height=640& width=500

<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/#>
Ling shares more poetry from her latest book, Settlement, followed by a
conversation about the connection to "place" in her poetry.

* Listen in Popup
* Download MP3
<http://wfiu. indiana.edu/ podcasts/ audio/poets/ 12/120805- pw-ling2_ plus-in\
terview.mp3? nopop

* Comment
<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ micah-ling- 2-2/#dsq- content>
[vacant road]
<http://indianapubli cmedia.org/ poetsweave/ files/2012/ 08/2012-micah- ling_\
vacant-road. jpg

Photo: Joe Lencioni
<http://shiftingpixe l.com/2005/ 10/24/converging -lines-on- a-dirt-road/>

"You drive a vacant road and hear a song that takes you back. Realize
here and now that you're past innocence. Never return. It's a hollow
feeling, empty and strange, like being on a cliff, maybe slipping a bit.
Wonder for a moment if you might be able to get it back, if you drive
the truck fast enough, if you make enough dust..." from the poem
"Settlement. "

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or
murmur or think at some point, `If this isn't nice, I don't
know what is'."
Kurt Vonnegut

Micah Ling earned her MFA in poetry at Indiana University. She has three
collections of poetry, published by Sunnyoutside Press (Buffalo, NY):
Three Islands
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513180? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
> , Sweetgrass
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513253? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
> , and Settlement
<http://www.amazon. com/gp/product/ 1934513350? ie=UTF8&tag= wfipubradfroi- 2\
0
> . In 2011, she won the Eugene & Marilyn Glick Indiana Emerging Author
Award <http://www.butler. edu/absolutenm/ templates/ ?a=3032> .

Micah also writes freelance music reviews and manages her own website,
Ringside Reviews.com <http://www.ringside reviews.com/> .

On this extended The Poets Weave podcast, Micah reads poems from her
latest book and then joins us for a conversation about the connection to
"place" in her poetry and her use of repeated titles like
"Settlement" and how her understanding of that word/concept has
evolved.

Sun Aug 5, 2012 7:29 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Sherman Alexie is a poet, author, filmmaker, comedian, and avid
basketball player. Born and raised on the Spokane Indian Reservation in
Wellpinit, Washington, Alexie writes on themes of poverty, alcoholism,
and hardship among Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest with
insight and humor. He is the author of twenty-two books, including The
Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, winner of the 2007 National
Book Award for Young People's Literature; War Dances; and The Lone
Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Alexie is also the author and
co-producer of the widely acclaimed film, Smoke Signals, which won the
Audience Award and Filmmakers' Trophy at the 1998 Sundance Film
Festival. His new book, Blasphemy, is a collection of short stories that
includes some of his most well known tales, including "What You Pawn
I Will Redeem," as well as 15 previously unpublished pieces. Alexie
is a board member at Longhouse Media, a non-profit committed to teaching
filmmaking to Native American Youth. He has long been a dedicated
advocate of programs and initiatives focused on helping at-risk Native
American youth.

http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ event/sherman- alexie-blasphemy
<http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ event/sherman- alexie-blasphemy>

Sherman Alexie - Blasphemy (At the Coolidge - Tickets on sale 9/1)
<http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ event/sherman- alexie-blasphemy>
Start: 10/16/2012 6:00 pm
The Pen/Faulkner Award-winning bestselling warrior of words, Sherman
Alexie (War Dances, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian)
returns to Brookline with a book chock-full of new and selected stories
that will make you holler with joy.

Tickets will go on sale 9/1 for $5 each.
<http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ node/90154> Blasphemy: New
and Selected Stories <http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ node/90154>
(Hardcover) By Sherman Alexie
<http://www.brooklin ebooksmith- shop.com/ search/apachesol r_search/ ?author\
_filter=Alexie% 2C+Sherman
> $27.00ISBN-13: 9780802120397
Availability: Coming Soon - Available for Pre-Order Now
Published: Grove Press, 10/2012
Location: 290 Harvard Street Coolidge Corner Brookline,
Massachusetts 02446-2908 United States

Sun Aug 5, 2012 11:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Richard Van Camp is from the Dogrib Nation of Fort Smith, Northwest
Territories, he is half white and half Dogrib. Van Camp is a graduate of
the University of Victoria's Creative Writing BFA Program, and holds
a Master's Degree in Creative Writing from the University of British
Columbia. He currently teaches Creative Writing with an Aboriginal
Focus at UBC. He has worked with the Emily Carr Institute teaching
Creative Writing and Storytelling, as well as, the Justice Institute of
British Columbia with their Aboriginal Leadership Program. He is also
CBC Radio's Writer in Residence for their North by Northwest
Program.

http://vancampinfo. wordpress. com/2012/ 08/04/richard- van-camp- biography/
<http://vancampinfo. wordpress. com/2012/ 08/04/richard- van-camp- biography/ \

Richard Van Camp Information <http://vancampinfo. wordpress. com/>
* About <http://vancampinfo. wordpress. com/about/>
Author Richard Van Camp's "What's the Most Beautiful Thing You Know
About Horses?" Illustrated by George Littlechild Richard Van Camp
Biography August 4, 2012

[http://vancampinfo. files.wordpress. com/2012/ 08/van-camp- images-pp2. jpg?\
w=705&h=526
]
<http://vancampinfo. files.wordpress. com/2012/ 08/van-camp- images-pp2. jpg>

Richard Van Camp is from the Dogrib Nation of Fort Smith, Northwest
Territories, he is half white and half Dogrib.

Van Camp is a graduate of the University of Victoria's Creative
Writing BFA Program, and holds a Master's Degree in Creative Writing
from the University of British Columbia.

He currently teaches Creative Writing with an Aboriginal Focus at UBC.
He has worked with the Emily Carr Institute teaching Creative Writing
and Storytelling, as well as, the Justice Institute of British Columbia
with their Aboriginal Leadership Program. He is also CBC Radio's
Writer in Residence for their North by Northwest Program.

Van Camp describes his childhood as growing up in a loving home and
family, with parents who were taxidermist. He writes about values and
themes such as family, identity, culture, respect and the essential
question: "What does it mean to be Dogrib?" As well, Van Camp
writes about animals as he believes that there is so much to learn from
animals and that people have a
responsibility as caretakers of this earth. He encourages children when
he reads to them that, if there's an animal they love, they should
learn as much as possible about that animal, and try to help them.

When Van Camp was asked if he'd like George Littlechild to
illustrate his first novel for children, A Man Called Raven, in 1997, he
was ecstatic. Van Camp was already an enormous fan of Littlechild' s
artwork. Because Littlechild had to learn about Raven's and the
Dogrib people for A Man Called Raven, Litttlechild chose the topic for
their second project, horses, an animal that is meaningful to his Cree
people. Van Camp, who is from the North, tells how he had very little
experience or knowledge of horses. In just five short days in 1998 Van
Camp began asking the question, "What's the Most Beautiful
Thing You Know About Horses?" to his family, friends and community.

"Why I became an author is very interesting and simple: nobody was
writing the stories about my life and my experience, what I saw, what I
felt, what I heard, what I sensed".
(http://www.papertig ers.org/intervie ws/archived_ interviews/ rvcamp.html
<http://www.papertig ers.org/intervie ws/archived_ interviews/ rvcamp.html>
).

Sun Aug 5, 2012 1:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Mary Ellen Brave Bird was born in 1953 on the Rosebud Indian Reservation
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Rosebud_Indian_ Reservation> , South Dakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ South_Dakota> . She is a member of the
Sicangu Oyate, also known as the Burnt Thighs Nation or Brulé
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Brul%C3%A9> Band of Lakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_people> .[1]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-ml-0> She was
raised primarily by her grandparents while her mother studied in nursing
school and was working.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1> Brave
Bird was influenced by several relatives who followed traditional
practices, including her granduncle Dick Fool Bull, who introduced her
to the Native American Church
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Native_American_ Church> .[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1>

http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird>
Mary Brave Bird From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to:
navigation <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#mw-head> ,
search <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#p-search>
Mary Brave Bird Born Mary Ellen Brave Bird
Rosebud Indian Reservation
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Rosebud_Indian_ Reservation> , South Dakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ South_Dakota> , United States
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ United_States> Nationality American
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ United_States> Other names Mary Crow Dog
Ohitaki Win
Brave Woman
Mary Brave Woman Olguin Ethnicity Lakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_people> Citizenship United States
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ United_States> Education St. Francis
Indian School
<http://en.wikipedia .org/w/index. php?title= St._Francis_ Indian_School& act\
ion=edit&redlink= 1
> Occupation Author
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Author> and Activist
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Activism> Known for Lakota Woman
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_Woman>
American Indian Movement
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Indian_Movement> Religion
Native American Church
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Native_American_ Church> Spouse Leonard
Crow Dog (divorced)
Rudi Olguin (separated) Children Pedro, Anwah, June Bug, Jennifer,
Summer Rose, Rudi
Mary Brave Bird, also known as Mary Brave Woman Olguin and Mary Crow Dog
(born 1953) is a Brulé <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Brul%C3%A9>
Lakota <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_people> writer and activist
who was a member of the American Indian Movement
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Indian_Movement> during the
1970s and participated in some of their most publicized events,
including the Wounded Knee Incident
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Wounded_Knee_ Incident> when she was 20
years old.

Brave Bird lives with her youngest children on the Rosebud Indian
Reservation <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Rosebud_Indian_ Reservation> ,
South Dakota <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ South_Dakota> . Her 1990
memoir Lakota Woman won an American Book Award
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Book_Award> in 1991 and was
adapted as a made-for-TV- movie in 1994.
Contents
* 1 Early life and education
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Early_ life_and_ education>
* 2 Career <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Career>
* 3 Marriage and family
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Marriage_ and_family>
* 4 Writing career
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Writing_ career>
* 5 Movie <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Movie>
* 6 Quote <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Quote>
* 7 Published works
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#Published_ works>
* 8 References
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#References>
* 9 External links
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#External_ links>
Early life and education
[...]

During the 1960s, Brave Bird attended the St. Francis Indian School, in
St. Francis, South Dakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ St._Francis, _South_Dakota> , a Roman
Catholic boarding school.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1>
Career
In 1971 Brave Bird was inspired by a talk by Leonard Crow Dog
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Leonard_Crow_ Dog> and at age 18 joined
the American Indian Movement
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Indian_Movement> (AIM).[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1> She
participated in such historical events as the 1972 Trail of Broken
Treaties <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Trail_of_ Broken_Treaties> and
subsequent occupation of the BIA
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Bureau_of_ Indian_Affairs> headquarters in
Washington, DC. She was also part of the 1973 Occupation of Wounded Knee
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Wounded_Knee_ incident> .[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1>
Marriage and family
Brave Bird's first child Pedro was born during the 1973 siege at Wounded
Knee, the only one born there.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-ml-0> For her
bravery, two medicine men gave her the name Ohitaki Win or Brave
Woman.[1] <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-ml-0>

Brave Bird later married AIM spiritual leader Leonard Crow Dog
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Leonard_Crow_ Dog> . Together the couple
had two sons, Anwah and June Bug, and a daughter, Jennifer.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-ml-0> Brave
Bird divorced Leonard Crow Dog.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-ml-0>

In 1991, she married Rudi Olguin,[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1> and they
had a daughter Summer Rose and a son Rudi. Olguin and Brave Bird parted.
She lives in Rosebud, South Dakota
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Rosebud,_ South_Dakota> , with her youngest
children.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-wise- 2> She is
a grandmother and is still active in the Native American Church.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-wise- 2>
Writing career
Brave Bird is the author of two memoirs, Lakota Woman
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_Woman> (1990) and Ohitika Woman
<http://en.wikipedia .org/w/index. php?title= Ohitika_Woman& action=edit& red\
link=1
> (1993). Richard Erdoes, a long-time friend, helped edit the
books. Lakota Woman was published under the name Mary Crow Dog and won
the 1991 American Book Award
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Book_Award> . It describes her
life until 1977.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-naw- 1> Ohitika
Woman continues her life story.

Brave Bird's books describe the conditions of the Sioux
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Sioux> Indian and her experience growing
up on the Rosebud Indian Reservation
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Rosebud_Indian_ Reservation> in South
Dakota <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ South_Dakota> , as well as
conditions in the neighboring Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Pine_Ridge_ Indian_Reservati on> under the
leadership of tribal chairman Richard Wilson
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Dick_Wilson> . She also covers aspects of
the role of the FBI
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Federal_Bureau_ of_Investigation> , the
U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ U.S._Bureau_ of_Indian_ Affairs> and the
treatment of the Native Americans and their children in the mid-1900s.
Her work focuses on themes of gender, identity, and race.[4]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-Petrillo- 3>

Crow Dog and Brave Bird made cameo appearances in the 1991 Oliver Stone
film The Doors <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ The_Doors_ %28film%29> .[3]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-wise- 2>
Movie
Brave Bird's memoir was adapted as the 1994 movie Lakota Woman: Siege at
Wounded Knee
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Lakota_Woman: _Siege_at_ Wounded_Knee> ,
produced by TNT <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ TNT_%28TV_ network%29> and
Jane Fonda <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Jane_Fonda> . The film starred
Irene Bedard <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Irene_Bedard> as Mary Brave
Bird. The movie depicted the events that occurred
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Wounded_Knee_ incident> during the 1973
uprising of the AIM (American Indian Movement
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ American_ Indian_Movement> ) organization
and their stand-off at Wounded Knee
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Wounded_Knee_ incident> . Brave Bird has a
cameo appearance in the film.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-wise- 2>
[http://upload. wikimedia. org/wikipedia/ commons/thumb/ d/d6/Wikiquote- logo\
-en.svg/40px- Wikiquote- logo-en.svg. png
] Wikiquote has a collection of
quotations related to: Mary Brave Bird
<http://en.wikiquote .org/wiki/ Special:Search/ Mary_Brave_ Bird>
Go to school and fight, fight. Fight in the courts, fight in the law.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Mary_Brave_ Bird#cite_ note-wise- 2>
Published works
* Brave Bird, Mary, with Richard Erdoes. Ohitika Woman. New York:
Grove Press, 1993.
* Crow Dog, Mary, with Richard Erdoes. Lakota Woman. New York: Grove
Weidenfeld, 1990.