Fw: [Nativewriters] Digest Number 2532

1 view

Judi Armbruster

Aug 12, 2012, 9:51:21 AM8/12/12
to karuknews

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Native...@yahoogroups.com" <Native...@yahoogroups.com>
To: Native...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:12 AM
Subject: [Nativewriters] Digest Number 2532

4 New Messages

Digest #2532
2
Sherman Alexie event signing for "Blasphemy" by "fslafountaine" fslafountaine
3
Dale Carson’s Ode to Oysters by "fslafountaine" fslafountaine
4

Messages

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Louise Erdrich returns to the territory of her bestselling, Pulitzer
Prize finalist The Plague of Doves with The Round House, transporting
readers to the Ojibwe reservation in North Dakota. It is an exquisitely
told story of a boy on the cusp of manhood who seeks justice and
understanding in the wake of a terrible crime that upends and forever
transforms his family

http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136958
<http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136958>
Louise Erdrich event save
<http://www.vita. mn/subscribe. php?event_ id=136958& goto_url= %2Fevent_ deta\
il.php%3Fevent_ id%3D136958% 26t%3D1344690571
> | tag
<http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136958#>

"The Round House."
When
Oct 2, Tue. at 7:00 pm

Where
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
<http://www.vita. mn/venue_ detail.php? venue_id= 1091>
1917 Logan Av. S.
Minneapolis, MN
612-377-1273
http://stpaulsmpls. org <http://stpaulsmpls. org/>

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

"Blasphemy," where Sherman Alexie unites fifteen beloved classics with
fifteen new stories in one sweeping anthology for devoted fans and
first-time readers.

http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136959
<http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136959>
Sherman Alexie event save
<http://www.vita. mn/subscribe. php?event_ id=136959& goto_url= %2Fevent_ deta\
il.php%3Fevent_ id%3D136959% 26t%3D1344698484
> | tag
<http://www.vita. mn/event_ detail.php? event_id= 136959#>

Along with Literary Witnesses, signing for "Blasphemy" to follow.
When
Nov 12, Mon. at 7:00 pm

Where
Plymouth Congregational Church
<http://www.vita. mn/venue_ detail.php? venue_id= 109>
1900 Nicollet Av. S.
Minneapolis, MN
612 374-4023
http://birchbarkboo ks <http://birchbarkboo ks/>

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

Dale Carson, Abenaki, is the author of three books: New Native American
Cooking, Native New England Cooking and A Dreamcatcher Book. She has
written about and demonstrated Native cooking techniques for more than
30 years. Dale has four grown children and lives with her husband in
Madison, Connecticut.

http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/11/dale- carsons-ode- to\
-oysters-126778

<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/11/dale- carsons-ode- t\
o-oysters-126778

Dale Carson's Ode to Oysters By Dale Carson August 11, 2012 RSS
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/rssfeeds> [An oyster
from the restaurant Frantzen Lindberg in Stockolm. This chilled oyster
is served with a sour apple frosting and juniper cream—a mouthful of
gastronomic pleasure. (Courtesy oysterstew.co. uk)] An oyster from
the restaurant Frantzen Lindberg in Stockolm. This chilled oyster is
served with a sour apple frosting and juniper cream—a mouthful of
gastronomic pleasure. (Courtesy oysterstew.co. uk)
* Read More:
* Dale Carson
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ dale-carson>
* Native Food
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ native-food>
* Oysters <http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ oysters>
* Recipe of the Week
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ recipe-of- the-week>
* Shellfish <http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/tag/ shellfish>
Share This Story 0 0 1 Get News Alerts
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/news- alerts> Submit this
story [ Dale Carsons Ode to Oysters]
Dale Carson

The delicious shellfish I loved growing up has a long and vast global
history. Today, both wild and cultivated—or sustainably
raised—oysters are a treasured culinary
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/11/dale- carsons-ode- t\
o-oysters-126778#
> favorite.

Denmark is believed to hold the largest shellfish heap in the world,
largely due to the quantity of oyster shells. Oysters were, and still
are, a Native American favorite as evidenced by a shell heap in Maine
estimated at seven million bushels. Native oyster-use on both coasts
indicates, pre-Columbus, people only cooked the bi-valve, regularly
enjoying oyster stew. They were eaten raw later.

Europe has a gluttonous history with oysters. The Romans ate dozens at a
time. Henry IV of England was said to have eaten 300 as an appetizer
daily. Casanova reportedly ate 50 a day. By the mid-19th Century, supply
was running low in Europe—as it was in North America. The
oyster's fame was at a pinnacle. In 1880, we were harvesting fifteen
times more oysters in Delaware Bay than we are today. Abraham Lincoln
often had oyster parties at his home in Illinois. Starting in 1842
oysters were brought by wagons across the country, packed with damp
straw or ice. Oyster houses were established in major coastal cities
offering "all you can eat for six cents."

When the Dutch "bought" Manhattan island, they also took Oyster
Island, known today as Ellis Island. The six cent price was pretty
standard for a while, until the Gold
<http://indiancountr ytodaymedianetwo rk.com/2012/ 08/11/dale- carsons-ode- t\
o-oysters-126778#
> Rush caused the cost to skyrocket—at least in
San Francisco—to $20 a plate. Many of the west coast oysters also
came from Washington State. West coast oysters are generally larger than
the Atlantic coast. It was once remarked that eating an American oyster
was like swallowing a baby.

In the United States today, there are three major species that are
harvested commercially, yet all sold under different names regionally.

Olympic oysters are medium-sized. They come from Puget Sound and run
about an inch and a half.

Pacific (also known as Japanese) oysters can run up to a foot long.

Eastern (Atlantic) oysters—Bluepoint being the most popular—are
considered the most flavorful and briny.

What's all the fuss about? For centuries, oysters have maintained a
reputation for being an aphrodisiac, which is not all hype. They contain
a high amount of zinc—an essential mineral for male potency; it is
said to enhance the male sex drive. Oysters are also an excellent source
of iron with 15.6 mg per cup raw; they are aso high in calcium, niacin
and protein.

Back in the day, I was always told not to buy or eat shellfish in a
month without an "r" in it. But this myth is now debunked due to
refrigeration and better handling and shipping. Whether you like them
raw on the half shell, batter-fried, grilled, steamed, baked,
smoked—or a host of other preparations— there is nothing like
their bright, unique taste.

Mama's Oyster Stew

1 dozen fresh oysters, plus their liquid

2 tablespoons butter, no substitutes

1-1/2 cups half and half, or light cream (you can substitute milk)

1 dash Worcestershire sauce

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Melt the butter on very low heat and add the oysters. Don't walk
away but watch the oysters carefully until their edges start to curl, it
happens quickly. Now add the half and half, cream or milk slowly and let
simmer, never boil. Add salt, Worchestershire and pepper and serve.

Note: Mom always served this with oyster crackers or saltines if we were
out of crackers.

Scalloped Oysters

1 quart of oysters plus their liquid

1 stick unsalted butter

1 clove garlic, minced

1 cup fresh, soft breadcrumbs

1 cup crushed saltines

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme

1 tablespoon minced fresh curley parsley

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

2 tablespoons dry sherry

4 tablespoons heavy cream

½ teaspoon, or 2 dashes, hot pepper sauce

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

Using a large skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic to it, cooking
for about 2 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and cracker crumbs to this and
stir about 5 minutes until crumbs are lightly golden. Turn off and
remove pan from heat. Stir in the thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.

Spread about ½ of the crumbs in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart
baking dish. Drain the oysters but reserve the liquid in a small bowl.
Put the oysters in a single layer over the crumbs.

Combine the cream, sherry, hot pepper sauce and 3 tablespoons of the
reserved oyster liquid in a small bowl. Now drizzle this over the
oysters and cover with the rest of the crumbs. Bake uncovered about one
half hour until the crumbs are golden brown and the liquid bubbles.

Dale Carson, Abenaki, is the author of three books: New Native American
Cooking, Native New England Cooking and A Dreamcatcher Book. She has
written about and demonstrated Native cooking techniques for more than
30 years. Dale has four grown children and lives with her husband in
Madison, Connecticut.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"fslafountaine" fslafountaine

When "God is Red: A Native View of Religion" was first published in
1973, it predated the American Indian Religious Freedom Act by five
years. Back then American Indians were not free to practice their
traditional spiritual teachings. So when "God is Red" by the late
American Indian scholar, Vine Deloria, Jr, Sioux, was first released, it
was provocative and challenging to the very core of the Judeo-Christian
belief system.

http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/god-is- red-still- challenges. html
<http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/god-is- red-still- challenges. html>
Book Review "God is Red" Still Challenges
God is Red: A Native View of Religion
30th Anniversary Edition
By Vine Deloria Jr
Fulcrum Publishing | 326 pp | $21.95
ISBN: 9781555914981

Levi Rickert, editor-in-chief in Entertainment.

posted August 11, 2012 6:00 am edt

Join the Discussion of this Book »
<http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/god-is- red-still- challenges. html#god- i\
s-red-still- challenges

What we believe about religion is a personal matter. While we may want
our loved ones to all believe what we believe about the Supreme Being -
who we may refer to as God, Jesus or the Creator - they ultimately still
have to make their own choice about what to believe.
Religion is a personal matter.
["God is Red" Still Challenges - Book Review] It's Personal

Books, such as "God is Red: A Native View of Religion - 30th Anniversary
Edition" are important to help shape, formulate and even test our
personal beliefs.

When "God is Red: A Native View of Religion" was first published in
1973, it predated the American Indian Religious Freedom Act by five
years. Back then American Indians were not free to practice their
traditional spiritual teachings.

So when "God is Red" by the late American Indian scholar, Vine Deloria,
Jr, Sioux, was first released, it was provocative and challenging to the
very core of the Judeo-Christian belief system.

"God is Red: A Native View of Religion - 30th Anniversary Edition" still
challenges today.

Fortunately today, American Indians are protected by federal law to
practice their traditional spiritual teachings without fear of reprisal.
They no longer have to fear being arrested to practice the sun dance -
though it is important to note, not all American Indian tribes practice
the sun dance, but maintain other forms of worship to the Creator.

In 1974 "TIME" Magazine named Deloria one of the primary "shapers and
movers" of Christian faith and theology.

Deloria, who is best known for his expertise in American Indian law,
received a master's degree
<http://www.nativene wsnetwork. com/god-is- red-still- challenges. html#> in
theology from the Lutheran School of Theology, prior to receiving his
law degree from the University of Colorado. His grandfather, the
Reverend Philip Deloria, was an Episcopal priest. His father, Vine
Deloris, Sr., became an Episcopal archdeacon and missionary on the
Standing Rock Indian Reservation. Deloria passed away in 2005.

I first read "God is Red: A Native View of Religion" in 1992. I found it
challenging then; it still challenges now. Reading the updated edition
of the book was well worth the re-read, because in addition to the new
forewords by Leslie Marmon Silko and George E. Tinker, Deloria updates
the previous edition to make it more relevant to contemporary years.

"God is Red: A Native View of Religion - 30th Anniversary Edition" is a
provocative book that challenges the hypocrisy of Christians who idly
stood by as American Indians were mercilessly and savagely killed by
non-Indians out of pure greed for land.

As it became evident that all American Indians could not be killed,
there was a concerted effort to "civilize and Christianize" Indians.
Deloria writes in "God is Red":

"People are not allowed to be Indians and cannot become whites. They
have been educated, as the old-timers would say to think with their
heads instead of their hearts."

As we come to full circle and attempt reconcile Christianity, which is
still highly influential on and off Indian reservations among American
Indians, "God is Red: A Native View of Religion - 30th Anniversary
Edition" should be read. The book should be read by non-Indians who want
a better understanding about the conflicts American Indians have with
Christianity.

"God is Red" challenges the non-Indian to be more accepting of
traditional Indian teachings. It challenges American Indians to
reconcile how they can be Christians when we know what was done to our
ancestors in the name of Christianity.

Ultimately, what we believe about religion is indeed a personal matter.

posted August 11, 2012 6:00 am edt

The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog