Fw: [Larry Kibby's Reznews] Digest Number 4451

Judi Armbruster

Aug 12, 2012, 9:50:16 AM8/12/12
to karuknews

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Rez...@yahoogroups.com" <Rez...@yahoogroups.com>
To: Rez...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:53 AM
Subject: [Larry Kibby's Reznews] Digest Number 4451

2 New Messages

Digest #4451
1
Matt Lauer/The Today Show by "Larry Kibby" reservation_indian
2a
Saturday Evening Headlines by "Larry Kibby" reservation_indian

Messages

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Larry Kibby" reservation_indian

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Matt Lauer of NBC’s Today Show in a discussion with former Today Show Co-Host Meredith Viera uttered the words’ “Don’t Be An Indian Giver!” As most folks know or understand, NBC is covering the 2012 Summer Olympics' in London and some people have stated that the coverage has not been all that up to par.

In my own opinion, I believe it is time for Matt Lauer to move on and I think NBC Executives should realize that. I say this because of the recent move of Ann Curry who had been chosen to replace Meredith Viera when she left the show. To me, that was a bad decision, I feel that Ann Curry is a good Journalist and should have been given more of a chance.

Why make a big deal out of Matt Lauer’s words? Well, let me first inform you of a little history that involves the Olympics.

Back in 1912 Jim Thorpe sailed with American Olympic Team to Stockholm, Sweden where he would compete and medal in the pentathlon and decathlon, setting world records that would last for decades, which also included at that time King Gustav V of Sweden expressing to Jim Thorpe; “Sir, you are the greatest athlete in the world!”

However, in those days the Olympic Committee had very strict rules supposedly and after discovering that Thorpe had played to semi-professional seasons of baseball for money stripped him of all his glory that led to his name being removed from the record books and his Gold Medals taken away.

In this day and age, you look at some of the Olympic Games and who is competing, the amount of money they receive for playing in the sport they do and you wonder why the Olympic Committee will not recognize the Great Jim Thorpe?

The injustice that revolves around this matter is critical, why? “Don’t Be An Indian Giver”, uttered by Matt Lauer further makes a mockery of degrading Jim Thorpe and his great accomplishment.

Corporate endorsements, monetary compensations, some of these athletes are receiving money some of them I don’t believe they deserve but most of all they are receiving money and competing in the Olympics, that to me is a serious offense and a slap in the face to the Thorpe Family. We need to have the Honor, Pride and Dignity restored to Jim Thorpe, one of America’s Greatest Athlete and that Matt Lauer be made to apologize to Indian Country for his disgraceful remarks.

President Obama is committed to creating the most open and accessible administration in American history for American Indians. Now we need to send our comments and concerns about this matter to the President and request that President Obama demand the Olympic Committee Honor, Pride, Dignity and the Gold Medals back to the Jim Thorpe Family and that President Obama should not endorse or support NBC’s Matt Lauer until this matter has been resolved with Honor.

To send your comments and concerns to President Obama, please use the link below.
http://www.whitehou se.gov/contact/ submit-questions -and-comments

============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ====

August 11, 2012
Bulk Email Posting by:
Larry Kibby – l.kibby@frontier. com
Elko Indian Colony, Nevada 89801

This email posting is being sent to multiple emails.

All Sovereign Rights reserved. No portion of this material may be republished, rewritten or reproduced by the Non-Indian National Media unless granted explicit permission by the Reznews List Owner.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:52 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Larry Kibby" reservation_indian

Saturday Evening Headlines
August 11, 2012

To Subscribe to Reznews send an email to:
Reznews-subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

Legislative & Political News

SEN. DANIEL K. AKAKA HOLDS A HEARING ON TRIBAL IMPACTS OF ...
Power Engineering Magazine
I have the good pleasure of serving as the Director of the American Indian Environmental Office at EPA and I think that this is a very important opportunity to discuss with you some of the agency's efforts to strengthen human health...

Tribal Government & Reservation News

Elwha Tribe still waiting for money Congress promised
The Seattle Times
I would rather see Native American tribes receiving funds than that of illegal ailens... (August 11, 2012, by ... "There was to be more, and we saw land and economic-developmen t funds as key parts of that additional responsibility. ..

General News

Totemic Travel: The Ketchikan's Totem Heritage Center Is Educational and ...
Indian Country Today Media Network.com
Notable Mentions: The Smithsonian Institution' s National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) in Washington, D.C. and New York City constitute two world-class cultural and educational enterprises. ..

Red, White and True Mysteries: Four larger-than- life Native Americans played ...
Bolivar Herald Free Press
When we learn something about American history, it usually is not about Native American history. This week's story gives you a glimpse into the stories of four Native American Indians whose stories you know, but you might not recognize them by their....

Wanna buy a Montana town? Bidding starts at $250000
Fox News
The Custer Battlefield Museum, a collection of Little Bighorn and American Indian artifacts, is not for sale. Kortlander attempted to sell Garryowen last decade. That was scuttled amid a government investigation, later dropped, into illegal artifact ...

Environmental & Energy News

Utah Makes Deal For Private Gas Drilling on Public Land
PBS NewsHour
Published on Aug 9, 2012 by PBSNewsHour. White River, Utah, attracts adventurers for its gorgeous vistas and rare solitude. But proposals to drill for natural gas on the public land worry environmentalists and Native American tribes...

Department of Energy Collaborates to Recruit Native Students
Indian Country Today Media Network.com
While recruiting Minorities has been the primary objective of this office for the past few decades, they have recently revved up their efforts to reach out to Native Americans. “Our Nation's tribal communities are neighbors...

I.H.S. & Health News

General Dynamics (GD) Receives IT Services Contract For IHS Programs
iStockAnalyst
The task order was awarded to provide software engineering and support services for the Indian Health Service's electronic health information system, called the Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS). Indian Health Service (IHS) healthcare.. ..

Educational, Historical & History News

150 years ago in southern Minnesota: Culture clash
Mankato Free Press
It also was the beginning of battles with Indians farther to the west that would continue until the Wounded Knee Massacre nearly 30 years later, which marked the end of major fighting between the U.S. and the Dakota....

Culture,Traditional & Ceremonial News

Native American man to be reunited with family more than 100 years later
Danbury News Times
Young, a retired employee of Wooster Cemetery and a local history buff, said he is pleased that Afraid of Hawk could soon be returned to his family and buried on his native land on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota...

Archaeology, Preservation & Sacred Land News

After dam came down, tribe's 'creation' site found
Seattle Post Intelligencer
(AP) — A site sacred to a Washington state tribe has been found among the 1100 acres of land that emerged after the Elwha Dam was removed and waters receded. Now, the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe would like to have that land back...

Pipestone: Tradition, beauty in rare rock
Minneapolis Star Tribune
They still quarry today; only American Indians enrolled in a tribe recognized by the U.S. government are allowed to do so. Some believe the red stone represents their flesh or that it contains the blood of their ancestors...

Museum & Art News

Remarkable Santo Domingo Pueblo pottery by Robert Tenorio
Examiner.com
He attended the Institute of American Indian Arts (IAIA) at Santa Fe, N.M. While attending IAIA he says, “I wanted to make jewelry to help with the family but I was always going into the ceramics area, stealing their clay, potting away....

Crime & Court News

New York Court Bars Woman from Preparing Tax Returns
Accounting Today
According to the complaint, Aliffi falsely told her clients, many of whom lived on or near the Shinnecock Indian Reservation in Southampton, N.Y., that they were eligible for the credit simply because they were Native Americans and lived on or near...

Sioux nickname appeal: Group accuses NCAA of trying to erase Sioux history
Jamestown Sun
Soderstrom, who also renews claims in the appeal that the NCAA executive committee overstepped its authority in enacting a policy against use of American Indian names and imagery, has asked the appeals court for time to present oral arguments...

An endless tribal water fight
Arizona Republic
The U.S. Supreme Court laid the foundation for Indian water-rights claims in 1908, when it ruled that the United States reserved water for Indian reservations. The nature and extent of those water rights, however, remained unclear.....

Events, Festivals & Pow-wow News

Traditional dances, food evoke cultural pride at Powwow
Knoxville News Sentinel
The powwow was hosted by Indian Creek Productions, Inc., a nonprofit whose mission is to inform the public about American Indian history and culture. "We do this because it's educational, it's colorful, it's family-oriented, and that's all a good....

To contact the Reznews list owner send an email to:
Larry Kibby - l.kibby@frontier. com

All Sovereign Rights reserved. No portion of this material may be republished, rewritten or reproduced by the Non-Indian National Media unless granted explicit permission by the Reznews List Owner.
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog