Render is cropped and zoomed on output

Fiona Andrews

Feb 3, 2024, 2:34:15 PMFeb 3
to Kartaverse
Video of the issue and setting used, https://youtu.be/5HdSsTmY7J8

What am I getting wrong?

Insta360, Resolve 16.4

Andrew Hazelden

Feb 3, 2024, 7:33:10 PMFeb 3
to Kartaverse
Hi Fiona,

This is happening in Resolve v18.4 not v16.4 right?

The Kartaverse support thread just before yours titled "Hole in footage after KartaVR added - Insta360" had an issue where 5.7K resolution Insta360 footage loaded into Resolve (Free) would have a rendering glitch.

When the Edit page timeline based footage was loaded into the Fusion page, the image would be displayed with a glitch that shows a transparent border around the image frame when displayed in the viewer window. This caused a shift in the source imagery content before it was then processed with Fusion based nodes (like the KartaVR kvrReframe360Ultra fuse).

I'm wondering if there is a possibility the zooming issue you are currently seeing in your screen recording is actually the same source problem that Christian reported the other day, with the difference being you had the camera looking mostly forward so that bug in your case exhibited a zooming/cropping issue when rendering the output?

Would you be willing to compare what happens if you pass 4K UHD vs 5.7K resolution 360VR source footage from Insta360 into Resolve to see if there is a visual difference in the rendering glitch you are seeing in your project file?

It would be a big help to know if this is a Resolve (Free) footage input scaling bug that is making this glitch occur or not. If that is the case then I can try to escalate a bug report to BMD's Resolve dev team to get a fix rolled out. Otherwise I will need to do more troubleshooting to figure out what's wrong.

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden

Fiona Andrews

Feb 5, 2024, 1:44:01 AMFeb 5
to Kartaverse
HI Andrew, thanks for ou attention to this. And yes sorry, typo. It's version 18.6.4 build 6

Here's the version shot in 4k. It worked fine.
https://youtu.be/YVbChASC48I

Fiona

Fiona Andrews

Feb 6, 2024, 1:12:03 AMFeb 6
to Kartaverse
If it helps, I just installed and tried the reframe360 plugin and it did the same thing, zoomed on render of the full 5k res file to 1080p.

Andrew Hazelden

Feb 8, 2024, 1:11:44 PMFeb 8
to Kartaverse
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the YouTube video that shows the output using 4K resolution footage.

Also, I appreciate the help with testing the full 5K resolution footage using the standard OpenFX based reframe360 plugin.

Regards,
Andrew

Fiona Andrews

Mar 9, 2024, 1:23:57 AMMar 9
to Kartaverse
Any update on this issue?
Is there a previous version of resolve that works for 360 reframing?
Thanks

Fiona Andrews

Mar 9, 2024, 1:26:33 AMMar 9
to Kartaverse
And is this also an issue in the studio version?

Andrew Hazelden

Mar 13, 2024, 9:03:41 AMMar 13
to Kartaverse
Hi Fiona,

This is not a problem in Resolve Studio or Fusion Studio. It appears like it only happens in Resolve (Free) due to a side effect of the way the free version has the 4K resolution limits applied to elements that are accessed via the Fusion page (like an Effects Template does).

Possible workarounds might include trying to nest the source media in another timeline to enforce a timeline resolution clamping effect before the reframing process is applied?

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden