ST Map stitching Canon R5C Slow Renders

forrest brennan

May 25, 2024, 2:28:08 PMMay 25
to Kartaverse
Hi Andrew,

I was testing the differences between stitching R5C footage in Resolve vs Mistika and find using the ST Map method allows for a lot of flexibility that I appreciate.  However, when I go to render the stitches in a proxy h264 or h265 codec to preview all the footage in real time on a headset, the render times are incredibly long.  When I load the same footage into Mistika and set up proxies for real time review the render time is significantly faster. Granted the raw clips are sometimes 5 minutes long, I'm talking minutes vs. hours.

Is this just the nature of Mistika being optimized for such tasks or settings that I am mistakenly selecting you think?

I'm running off an RTX 3090 64GB Ram and Ryzen 12 core CPU so computing power doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thanks for all you do!

Andrew Hazelden

May 25, 2024, 7:20:11 PMMay 25
to Kartaverse

Hi Forrest,

If you transcode the Canon RawLT media into an intermediate video format like ProRes 4444XQ for the 180VR editing phase you will likely see a slightly faster rendering speed.

For MP4 output you could check to see if NVIDIA "NVenc" hardware acceleration helps with the H.264/H.265 video encoding process.

If performance is critical, there is a Touch Designer based real-time STMap warping example project included with the downloadable resources in the Hugh Hou YouTube tutorial on STMaps. If you want to generate proxies for long duration clips, this approach allows for fast batch processing of 180VR media assets using the exact same STMap template. TouchDesigner can also help with live-streaming needs, too.

Regards,

Andrew Hazelden

Kartaverse Developer

forrest brennan