Hole in footage after KartaVR added - Insta360

Christian Huebner

Jan 27, 2024, 2:27:39 AMJan 27
to Kartaverse
Hello,
First of all, thanks for providing this tooling, it looks very promising.
I am new to reframing Insta360 video on DaVinci Resolve, so this is likely something I did wrong. I tried several times. I have Reactor and KartaVR Reframe 360 Ultra installed in DaVinci Resolve.
The video I want to edit is an MP4 exported as 360 degree video from Insta360 Studio.
I then drag the video into a new DaVinci project with a new timeline of 3840x2160 with 29.97 Hz and the stretch to all corners option.
In the Fusion tab I add KartaVR kvrReframe360Ultra. At first the video looks normal, but when I twist the yaw wheel this is what happens:
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11.10.41 PM.png
I also tried dragging the reframe tool onto the timeline directly instead of adding it as a node in Fusion, with the same result.
It does not look as if anything is missing, the right side of the hole should just be directly attached to the left side.
I would much appreciate your advice on how to fix this.
Thanks again!
Christian

Philippe Perruchot

Jan 27, 2024, 4:06:19 AMJan 27
to Kartaverse
How is the video when you use  Insta360 studio or Piplayer software to watch it?

Christian Huebner

Jan 27, 2024, 6:05:27 PMJan 27
to Kartaverse
I reframed the video in insta360 studio, it looks as expected with no holes. I prefer DaVinci Resolve though, so I would like to be able to just export the 360 degree video and import it into DaVinci to reframe it there.

Christian Huebner

Jan 28, 2024, 8:41:31 PMJan 28
to Kartaverse
The issue appears to be related to ProRes 4:2:2 export, h.264 works. Either the problem is with the Insta360 software or with KartaVR.

Andrew Hazelden

Jan 30, 2024, 6:32:56 PMJan 30
to Kartaverse
Hi Christian,

Does the source 360VR video look correct (and uncropped at the edges) if you use the Fusion native 360° playback mode in the viewer window, or the PanoMap node to rotate the view to look at the left/right seam border zone?

Viewer Window 360 View.png

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden

Le samedi 27 janvier 2024 à 08:27:39 UTC+1, c.c.h...@gmail.com a écrit :
Hello,
First of all, thanks for providing this tooling, it looks very promising.
I am new to reframing Insta360 video on DaVinci Resolve, so this is likely something I did wrong. I tried several times. I have Reactor and KartaVR Reframe 360 Ultra installed in DaVinci Resolve.
The video I want to edit is an MP4 exported as 360 degree video from Insta360 Studio.
I then drag the video into a new DaVinci project with a new timeline of 3840x2160 with 29.97 Hz and the stretch to all corners option.
In the Fusion tab I add KartaVR kvrReframe360Ultra. At first the video looks normal, but when I twist the yaw wheel this is what happens:

Christian Huebner

Feb 1, 2024, 12:24:33 AMFeb 1
to Kartaverse
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for looking into this!
In the Fusion viewer 360 degree mode, as per your picture, I see the same hole. What I am curious about is why the 360 degree video does not fill the fusion player window when the 360 degree mode is not enabled. I exported the image in the standard format (5760x2880) uncropped from  Insta360 Studio. I wonder whether the checkered area manifests as the 'hole' in the 360 degree video. I tried zoom to fit (see left top corner, but it does not actually fit the image into the frame. When I created the timeline I chose 4k and 29.97fps as advised and selected the 'stretch to all corners' option.  The video itself fits together, so if the white space was eliminated I think it would work. There is no crop in play anywhere. It's probably something stupid I am doing, but I experimented with it so much and searched the web high and low, but have not come to a result.
Best,
Christian

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 9.17.47 PM.png

Philippe Perruchot

Feb 1, 2024, 3:02:29 AMFeb 1
to Kartaverse
Looks good on the last image  8-)

Andrew Hazelden

Feb 1, 2024, 3:11:58 PMFeb 1
to Kartaverse
Hi Christian,

To help narrow down the troubleshooting process further, are you running 5760x2880 px sized source video through Resolve (free) or Resolve Studio?

I've heard in the past, on the BMD Resolve/Fusion forums, of the occasional strange footage scaling issue with Resolve (Free)'s handling of video over 4K UHD in certain media container formats. I seem to recall a few BMD forum posts that described a scenario where edit timelines with footage that was over 4K resolution coming from Resolve Studio would show the same sort of transparent frame border issue you noticed in your screenshots when the project file was brought into Resolve (Free). The Resolve (Free) resolution limits caused rendering differences to occur.

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden

Christian Huebner

Feb 1, 2024, 9:14:46 PMFeb 1
to Kartaverse
Hi Andrew,
I am indeed running Resolve (free). As I am just a beginner I didn't see the necessity of buying Resolve Studio just yet. I thought the limitation in 4k was only for the output video, but it is understandable that it would go for input, too. Thanks for the heads up, I'll buy Studio when I am a bit more experienced.
Best,
Christian