Traces

Gordon

Feb 22, 2018, 11:29:03 AM2/22/18
to kappa-users
I added a tracking statement to my model in the kappa app, to track the formation of a particular species, and I checked the 'store traces' box in the simulation options. When I run my model, I can see the tracking counter incrementing each time it tracks the formation of my species, but I can't figure out how to see the trace. What happens when you click the 'get trace' button? Does it write the trace to a file, or is there a tab somewhere in the app where the trace is displayed? Or is this feature not yet implemented?

Many thanks for the help and support you guys are providing.

Cheers,

Gordon

Pierre Boutillier

Feb 24, 2018, 5:37:11 AM2/24/18
to Gordon, kappa-users
Hi,
The feature is in progress of implementation :-)

Yes, when you did everything right (as you did), you can click on "get trace". You wait ... (your fans start to play a symphony) ... you wait ... (your computer starting to swap) ... you wait ... (every other app are nearly frozen) ... you still wait ... and eventually the kappapp opens a popup to offer you to save the trace on your disk.
Then, you can use the command line tool to compute stories from this trace or do whatever you want with it! (If you use the super super last development version, there is a tab "story" where you'll eventually be able to launch story computation and analyse results directly in the UI but this is super super super experimental. Don't go there yet)

BUT traces are such huge objects and we did not figured out yet a smart enough way to generate them that, when your simulation is " too big" (when the trace would be > 2 Go which is not big in real cases), "Something not identified in the chrome browser/nodejs bla-bla bundled in the app to tackle the graphical part of it" stack overflow and you're never offered to download the trace... (without any visible evidence of the crash expect that your fans calm down while you did not receive anything)

Conclusion: it looks like you're doing the right thing. Try smaller to ensure that you manage get something this way and if so ... well ... either wait or still use the command line tools for that purposes
Best,
Pierre B.

Gordon

Mar 1, 2018, 3:49:30 PM3/1/18