Your rebid?

chuck and teril swart

Mar 9, 2024, 2:57:54 AMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Imps, no one vul, first to speak you hold

A76
A9
74
KQT874

You open 1c and partner bids 1d.
Is this hand too strong for a 2c rebid?

B-3 states that "Opener should prefer to rebid 2c with 6-card suit or strong 5-carder when minimum."

B-18 states that a 2c rebid is "bare minimum, discouraging"

I have always assumed that bidding 1M here showed the strength of a an aggressive reverse, ie at least 14 points with a good 6-card suit, but there may be a gap between a "minimum" and a "bare minimum"

Carl WEISMAN

Mar 9, 2024, 7:56:04 AMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
15 Goren points. 15.85 CCCC. 16 Roth points (1 for HHxxxx).

So 1S.

Carl

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 8:05:16 AMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

1N also seems reasonable, since I have both majors stopped, am in the 15-17 range, and already named my long suit.

Otis Bricker

Mar 9, 2024, 3:41:37 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Might as well add my two cents.

I do not love this hand as much as some others seem to. By the original KS count rules this is just over a minimum minor opening. 15 (13 HCP+1 for the suit +1 extra for the extra 1/2 QT) instead of 14.

Obviously the points are quality so I think this is over the ” Bare minimum; discouraging” KSU mandates.  But barely.  If partner bid 2c, I would probably nod and say I could see it but thought it was conservative after play.

I suspect that description was influenced by that fact that so little space has been consumed, you don’t have to promise much more than a minimum to bid something else and room to slow down.

As I see little advantage to receiving the lead and want to clue partner in on the long clubs, I am a 1S bidder.

Not all hands have obviously correct bids. Where would the fun be if they did?

Otis

On Mar 9, 2024, at 2:57 AM, chuck and teril swart <chuckte...@gmail.com> wrote:

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 4:08:38 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I feel less strongly about this at IMPs, but I really want to rebid 1N at matchpoints, because the auction is likely to be much less revealing.   In particular, if partner's hearts are all spots, we won't have pinpointed a heart weakness in the closed hand.  Also, the defense will often err because they can't count my tricks.

Get Outlook for Android

Mar 9, 2024, 5:05:47 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Kaplan said somethinng like “I would sell my rights to open (strong) 1NT with a 6-card minor for a used subway token."

rbt...@optonline.net

Mar 9, 2024, 5:20:01 PMMar 9
to 'Carl WEISMAN' via The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

For what it's worth, I agree with treating this hand as non-minimum but, in my view, it is so close that if the club 10 were the deuce (so that the 4 Cs count would be 15.00), I would be comfortable re-bidding 2C over responder's 1D.

As others have pointed out, treating the posted deal as non-minimum leaves a choice of rebids between 1S and 1NT. I consider this decision also close, but for me the advantage of protecting responder's secondary major suit honors (if any) gives 1S a slight edge.

The 1S vs. 1NT rebid issue could make an interesting poll of K-S players

Bob Walter

Kaplan said somethinng like “I would sell my rights to open (strong) 1NT with a 6-card minor for a used subway token."

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 7:54:39 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
The same price he would have named for any strong NT opening.

It's much less dangerous as a rebid, especially when responder has essentially denied four- card support by bidding 1D.

Get Outlook for Android