Bidding.

jerome keslin

Jan 18, 2021, 1:36:43 PM1/18/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
IMP pairs. V vs NV

North         South

Q               A432
AK72        643
Q752        K4
A983        T874

North dealt.
Opponents silent

How might the bidding go?

doug...@aol.com

Jan 18, 2021, 1:51:34 PM1/18/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

After 1D - 1S, I'd rebid 1NT and play it there.

Same if I opened 1C.

* Non-KSU tidbit: My partnership plays mini-Roman, with the same strength limits as a Weak NT. This hand values at 15.35, so it's too strong, but if I made that mis-judgement ATT it would go:  2D - 2S, 3C - Pass. Not a horrible contract, but I'd rather be in 1N.

Sansing, Richard C.

Jan 18, 2021, 1:54:15 PM1/18/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

The introduction to Part C of KS Updated offers a minimum 1444 hand with good hearts as an example of a hand in which a four-card major may be opened, so:

1H-P-2H-All Pass

With an 8-card spade fit, I would not be surprised to hear the opponents to balance; but you stipulated silent opponents.

Richard

Adam Wildavsky

Jan 18, 2021, 5:42:44 PM1/18/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
2H is not a favorite, so having the opponents reach 2S would be desirable.

Fred.

Jan 24, 2021, 6:08:49 PM1/24/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
You will have a better chance of finding a club fit if you open
the North hand 1C.  Raise a response in either red suit, pass
1NT, and rebid 1NT after a 1S response.

If North opens 1H, the the hand is way too strong to comfortably
pass a 1NT response, but  a 2C rebid will often result in playing
a 4-2 fit, even worse than when South raises with xxx in hearts.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Jan 24, 2021, 9:24:53 PM1/24/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
way too strong????

maybe a tiny bit too strong, but I doubt even that

doug...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2021, 7:19:26 AM1/25/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

Certainly too strong. R may have up to 11. 3N and 5 of either m are still on the table. Pass would be egregious, especially V at IMPs.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kaplan-sheinwold/15b26e82-67c8-443f-80c3-732470d3a9cen%40googlegroups.com
.

judyorcarl

Jan 25, 2021, 9:01:50 AM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Responder will not bid 1NT with a fairly good eleven.  That is forced when you open min  4441 in a major.

Will you have to pay off sometimes?  Sure.

Fred.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:33:21 AM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Maybe I should have said "clearly" rather than "way", but that is a
quibble.

The description on opener's pass in C-3 is:
"Not impossible. Likely, opener has 4-card major, 12-14 points.
Conceivably, 5-card major but very weak suit, 12-13 points.
Greater strength unwise, since responder may have good 11 points."
At IMP pairs I wouldn't like passing a decent 14.

Look at the 2m response in C-1 and tell me what responder should bid
holding a decent 11 and lacking the length for 3H or 1S.

What, by the way, is the benefit for which I'm paying off when I open 1H
 rather than 1C?  That I don't have to rebid 1NT on a hand which many
would open a 15-17 NT?  I think that the ability to find the best suit fit
outweighs that small awkwardness.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Jan 25, 2021, 9:59:22 AM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Benefit: every minimum hand that opens a minor has 5+ length.

To call that hand a non-min puts takes the singleton spade queen too seriously.

doug...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2021, 10:44:01 AM1/25/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

Christopher Monsour

Jan 25, 2021, 10:56:00 AM1/25/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Opening 1!C is fine NV.  If vulnerable, why not open 1!D to avoid having to pass 1N?

Jan 25, 2021, 11:07:08 AM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
The hand is 15.35 KnR, 15.15 demoting the spade queen. Replace
 both queens with small cards  and it is still a good minimum range
opening with 13.60 KnR.  Here 1H would work because opener can
pass 1NT, though still will not be happy if responder raises with xxx.
Switch the majors and I would still open it 1C, since I can rebid 1S
over a heart response (and, no!, this does not promise a 5cm or
extra values).

When responder bids 1S, the short suit value goes away, but the
spade queen becomes worth something.

Fred.

Adam Wildavsky

Jan 25, 2021, 11:52:01 AM1/25/21
to kaplan-sheinwold
Thanks for including the KnR! I always like to see it in discussions of hand evaluation.

KnR already demotes short queens severely - why demote the SQ further, and why specifically by 0.20?

Adam Wildavsky

Jan 25, 2021, 11:53:50 AM1/25/21
to kaplan-sheinwold
I see the context now, the SQ adds 0.20 versus a small singleton.

Fred.

Jan 25, 2021, 12:04:58 PM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
0.20 was the KnR difference between the stiff queen and
a stiff singleton in the same place.  I wasn't really suggesting
demoting it further.  I was trying to emphasize out that, ignoring
the rebid problem over 1S, it is a sound opening no matter
how you look at the spade queen.

Fred.

Adam Wildavsky

Jan 25, 2021, 12:14:07 PM1/25/21
to kaplan-sheinwold
A point worth considering. A 1NT response is a priori unlikely, and it might not go All Pass, and if it did we might end up +90 or -100. But there's a real danger of a significantly poor result - a simulation would be useful.

judyorcarl

Jan 25, 2021, 2:04:55 PM1/25/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

Notice that with the actual deal, a 1H opening will result in a contract of 2H, which I would love to declare.

An irremovable defect of 5-card major systems is that you can *never* play in two of opener's good 4-card major,

Carl

Fred.

Jan 26, 2021, 9:51:49 AM1/26/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Since 5-4-3-1 occurs about 6 times as often as 4-4-4-1
I'd expect 1=4=5=3 and 4=1=5=3 hands to come up about 3 times
as often as 1=4=4=4 and 4=1=4=4 hands, even disregarding the
1=4=4=4's which are opened 1H.  Believing that I am doing so on
EK's advice, with the former distributions after a 1NT response to
1D, I rebid 2C.  Having been promised a 5-card diamond suit, a
responder with 3=3=3=4 can give a 2D preference if the clubs
are weak.

In practice, which is far from a statistical universe,  I've usually
found responder with 5 clubs and 2 or 3 diamonds where clubs
is, by far, the superior strain.

Opening 1D with 4-4 more often, I don't think the specter of
a 3=3=3=4 responding hand should stop an opener with an
unbalanced 5=3 in the minors from rebidding  2C

Fred.