They double Stayman.

jerome keslin

Aug 29, 2023, 5:17:19 PM8/29/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Some players respond 2c to 1nt with very weak hands as a pre escape before the doubling starts. Players who are aware of this tactic will double 2c, not as lead directing, but just to show points.
Kokish and Kraft,  in their description of the weak nt system,
suggest that opener rebids as follows:
* Pass: neutral
* 2 any: a 5 carder.
* Redble:  4-4 majors.
If one were to adopt this, and the bidding went:
1nt - p - 2c - dbl
 P   - p -  ?

Do you have any suggestions how responder should rebid?

Kokish suggested:
* redbl: good hand, 4+c
* 2d: natural
* 2h: 4-4 majors
* 2s: invite.

I am interested to know what the group thinks.

Martin Ambuhl

Aug 29, 2023, 7:51:58 PM8/29/23
On 8/29/2023 5:17 PM, jerome keslin wrote:
> Some players respond 2c to 1nt with very weak hands as a pre escape
> before the doubling starts. Players who are aware of this tactic will
> double 2c, not as lead directing, but just to show points.
> Kokish and Kraft,  in their description of the weak nt system,
> suggest that opener rebids as follows:
[etc]
My earlier response was, in fact, unresponsive and at least partially
wrong. I have more than one group of players to whom I respond, and
didn't notice in time.

The KSU standard way of the double when it shows clubs is probably
adequate here. Using the redouble in place of 3C for both majors is
playable, giving showing playable clubs.

> * Pass: neutral
> * 2 any: a 5 carder.
> * Redble:  4-4 majors.
> If one were to adopt this, and the bidding went:
> 1nt - p - 2c - dbl
>  P   - p -  ?
>
> Do you have any suggestions how responder should rebid?
>
> Kokish suggested:
> * redbl: good hand, 4+c
> * 2d: natural
> * 2h: 4-4 majors
> * 2s: invite.

The redouble must show either an interest in penalizing the opponents or
a definite lack of interest in playing clubs, as the partnership
chooses. Just to show "good hand, 4+C" seems an attempt to give away
the top the opponents just handed you.

Ronald Kalf

Nov 4, 2023, 3:31:40 AM11/4/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
There must bea way to repeat the original question, for me that is XX