Raising a major to 4

Carl WEISMAN

Jan 19, 2024, 10:44:33 AMJan 19
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
This isn’t special to KS, but…

It’s against my religion to raise directly to 4 in an uncontested auction when I have three control points. But last night I held

KQJx
KQxx
Jx
Qxx

My partner openend 1S. This was a last-second pickup, so we had discussed almost nothing. I guessed to respond 2C and then bid 4S. Nothing bad happened.

Do you think I should have let all those quacks discourage me from raising directly?

jerome keslin

Jan 19, 2024, 11:55:31 AMJan 19
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It's not hard to construct hands where partner passes an immediate jump to 4s and a slam is missed.
You could hold 5s and less than 7 points.

fred Curtis

Jan 19, 2024, 12:25:34 PMJan 19
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
When you have so many quacks, your opening partner, perforce, will hold controls for his bid. Sure, some of the lesser honours in S are wasted, but his very empty holding may otherwise discourage movement.

A hand with three A minimum could be slam positive… if the shortage is not opposite the H concentration with luck.

The issue has to be the extent to which the 2C bid promises a suit eg reversing the H & C would make the presumed natural sequence much clearer and incline opener to upgrade both length and fitting Honours, but it depends on agreement.

The strength in HCP makes this hand good for a relay response ( best as discover shape and controls/wastage low),and my alternative would be to indicate a minimum balanced GF raise.

Fred Curtis
Sent from my iPad

> On 20 Jan 2024, at 2:44 am, 'Carl WEISMAN' via The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System <kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> This isn’t special to KS, but…

Carl WEISMAN

Jan 19, 2024, 12:35:19 PMJan 19
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Indeed.

But it is also possible to construct deals where treating this quackfest as a game-forcing raise gets you to a shaky 5-level contract.

Carl WEISMAN

Jan 19, 2024, 12:44:56 PMJan 19
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Also, you could miss a slam when you have

Kxxxx
Kxxxxx

Does that stop you from a direct raise?