What would you respond?

chuck and teril swart

Jun 8, 2023, 2:18:37 PM6/8/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Playing KSU you are dealt:

732
A54
J765
KQ2

Partner opens 1c, there is no interference and the auction goes:

1c   1d;  2d  ?

Do you bid 2NT showing 9 to 11 but without a spade stop, or do you bid 2H which, I think, shows a better hand?

Christopher Monsour

Jun 8, 2023, 2:23:32 PM6/8/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
2H

Get Outlook for Android

Jun 8, 2023, 6:10:17 PM6/8/23
to Christopher Monsour, kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
As I read B-18, opener's 1D rebid shows the same strength as his 2M in the uncontested auction 1C-1M-2M (i.e., "value of 15-17"); and when responder's 1D response to 1C was on a balanced hand that was too strong for a 1NT response, responder's expected rebid is in NT.

On that basis, it would seem that the 1D responder would be expected to rebid 1NT with 3=3=4=3 shape and 10 HCP. The fact that responder has only 3 small spades and a 2NT rebid would be seriously anti-positional argues for a 1H rebid. The question is whether the risk that responder's 1H rebid will cause opener will play responder for an unbalanced and/or stronger hand is greater than the risk posed by the anti-positional 1NT rebid.

I'd rebid 1H on the problem hand, but with considerable reluctance. I'd be curious to see the results of a poll of KSU users.

Bob Walter

Jun 8, 2023, 7:15:22 PM6/8/23
On 6/8/2023 6:10 PM, rbt...@optonline.net wrote:
> As I read B-18, opener's 1D rebid shows the same strength as his 2M in
> the uncontested auction 1C-1M-2M (i.e., "value of 15-17"); and when
> responder's 1D response to 1C was on a balanced hand that was too strong
> for a 1NT response, responder's expected rebid is in NT.

It is unusual to rebid 1D over a 1D response.
. . .

> I'd rebid 1H on the problem hand, but with considerable reluctance. I'd
> be curious to see the results of a poll of KSU users.

I don't think many KSU users will try to bid 1H over 2D.

Adam Wildavsky

Jun 8, 2023, 7:16:31 PM6/8/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
1H is insufficient.

rbt...@optonline.net

Jun 8, 2023, 7:21:52 PM6/8/23
to Adam Wildavsky, kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the typo. I had intended to vote for 2H (reluctantly).

Bob Walter

Jun 9, 2023, 2:18:16 AM6/9/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
3C bid where you live.

Martin Ambuhl

Jun 9, 2023, 2:28:40 AM6/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
2H, No second choice, forcing to at least 3NT. Stopping in 4C/4D still
possible if opener is minimum and no spade stopper. Opener's minimum is
quite good, remember.

Fred.

Jun 9, 2023, 9:40:11 AM6/9/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Tough.

If our partnership understanding of the Walsh 1 Diamond is
 that rebidding a major promises long strong diamonds, I
am end-played into bidding NT, but 3NT.  2NT would be 9 or
a good 8 HCP, just as with opener's raise to 2M.  Our double
fit in in the minors makes it likely that the partnership can
stand 4D if opener must pull.  However, the same double
fit also means that partner must hold a doubleton or shorter
in at least one of the majors, AND partner is less likely to pull
than if our fit were in a major.

If, on the other hand, as in my own partnership, our
understanding is that 2H is, per KSU, ambiguous in this
situation, I would bid 2H, OK with the idea that it is forcing to
3NT or 4D, but resolved not to reraise diamonds creating the
impression of long  strong diamonds.  If partner bids 2S or
2NT, I will bid 3NT.  If partner rebids 3C, or 3D I will bid 4C
expecting partner to know I am raising on 3, since with
4 clubs and extras I would have raised directly.

Fred.

doug...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2023, 1:15:22 PM6/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Likewise.

O's bidding suggests an unbalanced hand with 6 or 5 losers and no 4cM. His 15-17 equivalent will typically include shortness points in a M (or both).

R has 3 cover cards. The honor locations (Inside-Outside, per Jeff Rubens) strongly favor suit play.  5m is possible if O is top of range (5 losers less 3 cover cards).

A NT contract is anti percentage, very anti-percentage if O doesn't advance over 2N. No reason to bid that if there's any other choice.

2H could be on 4 H, longer D and a GF hand. R doesn't have that, so a less ambiguous bid would be preferable.

3C is that bid. It tells your whole story: 3-card C fit, longer D, no 4cM, 9-11 support points.

O will know what to do.

doug...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2023, 1:25:48 PM6/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Adding: reverse R's black suits so he holds KQx Axx Jxxx xxx and the 2N rebid stands out.

Christopher Monsour

Jun 9, 2023, 1:56:59 PM6/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
The question is whether opener will ever guess I have six major suit cards (or even close) when I bid 3C.  Opener's bidding does not promise an unbalanced hand.   He could easily hold AQ Q32 AK52 J1097 or the like.  KS opens 1C on 4-4 when not good enough to bud 1D-1M-2C over a response in the 3-card major.

Get Outlook for Android

Jun 9, 2023, 6:18:02 PM6/9/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
1D - 2D - 2NT denies good diamonds.

Fred.

Jun 22, 2023, 10:47:31 AM6/22/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
The KSU description in B-18 is " Like raise in major; good hand.",
which, to me, includes the balanced 15-17 with 4 diamonds.  In
his book EK indicated that the motivation for opening 1C with
4D+4C is to give the partnership assurance that it will find a fit
fit in either minor.  If the auction goes

1C     1D
1NT  3D,

how does opener show that the 15-17 includes a big diamond fit?

I'm not saying that your strategy of playing the diamond raise
as always unbalanced is wrong.  After such a raise, responder
knows that a soft 9 or 10 HCP is unlikely to produce game in NT,
and that a purish unbalanced hand is worthy of competition.

But, I don't think most people playing KSU see it as EK's intent.

Fred.

doug...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2023, 11:09:43 AM6/30/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the slow reply.

>If the auction goes

>1C     1D
>1NT  3D,

>how does opener show that the 15-17 includes a big diamond fit?

Fair question. Our (non-KSU) solution is that after

1C - 1D
1N

2C! = artificial, game-forcing
2D = to play
2M, 2N, 3C & 3D = invitational, passable

After
1C - 1D
1N - 2C!

O rebids naturally (so 2D with 4 in D).

At 2D we've established a GF, a D fit and defined opener's strength and shape. R is in a far better position than in the KSU sequence.

Disclaimer: this loses the ability to stop in 2C via:
1C - 1D
1N - 2C (to play, per B-2)

This is a tiny price to pay for enabling so many descriptive auctions on Inv/GF hands

Further, it's unclear that the KSU sequence ending at 2C is still practical bridge. Today's opponents are more aggressive and they're aware of Law of Total Tricks considerations.

If R is 5-4 in the minors and we hold barely half the HCPs, the opponents will often have entered the auction before we can complete KSU's revealing little sequence. If we do complete it, we've put them in a good position to know whether to balance into 2M or defend. We've even given them a handy balancing bid (2D) for shapely hands too weak to double. We shouldn't fight tanks by displaying our pillows!

Doug

judyorcarl

Jul 1, 2023, 3:48:32 PM7/1/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
"Further, it's unclear that the KSU sequence ending at 2C is still practical bridge. Today's opponents are more aggressive and they're aware of Law of Total Tricks considerations."

Your argument would equally well apply to rebidding a 6-card diamond suit.  But it's wrong.

It cannot be right to avoid taking your only chance at a plus score.  If you pass 1NT, the opponents have the choice of getting a good score by passing it out.  You will _not_ make it harder to compete by passing.

Fred.

Jul 2, 2023, 10:29:28 PM7/2/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
After

     1C     1D
     1NT

2C may be your best chance at a plus score, but from
the viewpoint of responder during the bidding it is far
from the _only_ chance,  With 5-8 HCP, 5D and 4C, both
pass and 2D are in the running.  And, 2C can be an
absolute disaster when a MP SA field is in 1NT making 2
and opener ineptly fails to take  the necessary 10 tricks.

Actually, I make a habit of passing 1NT at MP unless
holding 6- HCP or a void.  It usually scores better
than the minors and is rarely a disaster.  But, my
partner is pretty good at scrambling 1NT contracts.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Jul 3, 2023, 7:48:02 PM7/3/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I was commenting on a system making the sign-off in openers suit unavailable.

Fred.

Jul 8, 2023, 7:48:03 PM7/8/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
And, I was commenting on such a sign-off not really being
necessary on the sequence, since you at least one other
plausible sign-off.  Now, had the bidding gone

1C  1D
1M,

then 2C is often the only place that promises a reasonable fit.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Jul 8, 2023, 7:58:29 PM7/8/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
The objective of part-score bidding is to avoid silly contracts.  1C - 1D - 1NT can certainly be a silly contract. For example, when responder has no entry except by ruffing.

You seem to assume the opps will bail you out of silly contracts.

Fred.

Jul 9, 2023, 11:50:36 AM7/9/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Without the weak 2C rebid, responder has a choice
2D and pass depending on the texture of the responding
 hand.  I am assuming not that the opponents will bail
me out, but that responder's reasonable choice between
them is likely to be non-silly.

I am willing to settle for likely non-silly rather than very
likely (opener could still be 4423) non-silly, because there
are obvious advantages to opener being able to rebid 1NT,
for instance, the ability to avoid the difficulty pointed out by
the original post.

You are right about the virtue of the weak 2C rebid.  It's just
about guaranteed to be a decent place to play.  Its defect is
that guarantees to the opponents that they have a major suit
fit.

Fred.