how to bid these hands in KSU

chuck and teril swart

Jan 14, 2022, 1:57:56 AM1/14/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Imps EW vul, South dealer, NS pass throughout

West                                East
AK                                   QJ5432
QJ8                                  94
QT7432                            J6
KQ                                  J73

Sansing, Richard C.

Jan 14, 2022, 6:14:04 AM1/14/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

1D-1S

1NT-2S

Pass

Richard Sansing

Steve Willner

Jan 14, 2022, 9:19:55 AM1/14/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
The West hand is 14.75 C4 points, justifying Richard's auction. I
confess that without the calculator I'd have devalued it but only to 16
at the first rebid. When East rebids 2S, though, the minor honors are
junk, and pass is clear.

On 1/14/22 6:13 AM, Sansing, Richard C. wrote:
> 1D-1S
> 1NT-2S
> Pass

David Morgan

Jan 14, 2022, 8:47:00 PM1/14/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Opener's hand is seriously flawed: not one but two HH-doubletons which
will make communication very difficult.  On the other hand DAKx makes 3N
cold unless D are 4-0 offside.  I can easily imagine going down in 1N
while there are eight or nine tricks in diamonds. I did wonder about
opening 1D and rebidding 2C but opener just isn't strong enough to take
a third bid and has too many high cards, no matter how poorly placed, to
open 1D and rebid 2D.  So, I too would bid as Richard did.

David

Christopher Monsour

Jan 14, 2022, 8:48:59 PM1/14/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Yup.  1D-1S-1N-2S looks like the right auction.

Get Outlook for Android

Jan 15, 2022, 1:21:36 AM1/15/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
By the way, this is a good hand for weak NT.  Playing strong NT, if you elect not to open 1N, you might be tempted to rebid 2N after 1D-1S.