B7 questions

Ronald Kalf

May 19, 2022, 6:39:47 AM5/19/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

For 1m-1H; 1S it reads „Ambiguous strength; intended as forcing; could be 3-card suit (rare)“

  1. Opener can have an unlimited unbalanced hand or a balanced hand with 15-17 (or 19?) points. According to B4 the 1N-rebid denies 4-card spade. Responder‘s only weak rebid is 1N, which opener will have to pass with a balanced hand. Thus we will miss a 4-4-fit in spade anyway. Then why shouldn’t opener rebid 1N even with a 4-card spade with the benefit of the 1S-rebid being always unbalanced (like 1C-1D; 1M)?
  2. Is a 3-card really that rare? What is the alternative with reverse strength, but no values in om? Thus opener‘s 2m after 1m-1H; 1S-1N still doesn’t promise a 4-card spade and we might play in a 5-2 fit in a minor in stead of 2S with 4-4. Now if 1S is always unbalanced responder could utilize 2 weak rebids, 1N without and 2C with a 4-card S. Opener would pass 1N with a minimum 4-1-4-4. 2om would have to replace the „old“ 2m getting us to 3C with 9+12 after 1C-1H; 1S-2D; 3C.

Please comment!

Christopher Monsour

May 19, 2022, 7:10:32 AM5/19/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
If you are 4-4 in the majors and too weak to raise opener's 1S rebid, your initial response is supposed to be 1S, yes?

Get Outlook for Android

May 19, 2022, 9:42:39 AM5/19/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
B1: …but prefer 1♠ when 4-4 in majors if 6 or bad 7 points. 1m-1M can be a lot weaker then that. I‘ve always interpreted „Responder strains to find a bid“ as bidding with a K or any 4 points.

Fred.

May 19, 2022, 9:45:54 AM5/19/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
When responder holds both majors and 5 points or less, passing
opener's rebid is a reasonable risk, so responder bids 1H prepared
to pass opener's 1S rebid.  When responder holds both majors and
6 or 7 points, as Chris pointed out, responder is expected to bid 1S.
This may miss a 4-4 heart fit, but with 1NT right-sided.  It won't miss
 a 4-4 spade fit with the 1NT wrong-sided as a 1H response could.

After

1m - 1H
1S

responder with 4 spades should have either a 3-5 point pass or
the 8 point minimum required for a raise.

Alternatively, if responder always bids hearts before spades, after

1m - 1H
1S - 1NT
2m

opener must have either 4 spades or the values for a reverse,
If responder gives a spade preference with 4 spades,  and opener
has only 3 spades, one of 2S or 3m is likely to be a viable
contract.

Personally, my partner and I play that responder always bids hearts
before spades.  After

1m  - 1M
1NT

we use what I remember as the Kit Woolsey variation of 2-way checkback:
2C=>2D, invitational
2D, game forcing
2M, 2H(M=S), signoff
2S (M=H), 4-4 in the majors, non-forcing, invitational
2NT=>3C, used to sign off
all suit jumps purish with slam interest

after
1m - 1H
2NT

we play 3S = forcing 4-4 or 5-5 in the majors  and

1m  - 1H
2NT - 3C (relay)
3D   - 3S

as 5+ hearts and 4 spades.