1NT-X

Sansing, Richard C.

Nov 21, 2023, 5:55:15 PM11/21/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

My partner and I have escape bids if X is for penalty. Any suggestions for a system if X shows a single-suited hand?

Ronald Kalf

Nov 22, 2023, 2:27:36 AM11/22/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
As long as your escape structure includes a business redouble, I suggest the same. If it doesn’t, I suggest changing in both cases.

jerome keslin

Nov 22, 2023, 4:28:51 AM11/22/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
After the double I can still catch them by passing which forces opener to redouble.

Ronald Kalf

Nov 22, 2023, 9:16:36 AM11/22/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Of course you can, but if advancer runs, opener cannot double because responder maybe weak. Now if responder has only a doubleton s/he cannot double either even if strong and then they are off the hook.
That is why I redouble for business and use good old Rimmington Wriggle to escape. The only disadvantage is that 2C is either clubs or D+M which I can only show if they double. I might get a bad score if I have to play 2C undoubled if I have D+M.Never happened though.

Steve Willner

Nov 22, 2023, 9:40:38 AM11/22/23
On 11/22/23 2:27 AM, Ronald Kalf wrote:
> As long as your escape structure includes a business redouble, I suggest
> the same. If it doesn’t, I suggest changing in both cases.

I agree. If the opponents are good, the double will often be passed for
penalties, so you need to start the escape.

Christopher Monsour

Nov 22, 2023, 9:46:16 AM11/22/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like pass is forcing, which is a huge disadvantage when -100 is your best result (or when they run).  That's why redouble for business, pass to play, and wonder bid runouts are the best.

Get Outlook for Android

Nov 22, 2023, 2:19:09 PM11/22/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
There seem to be so many ways to handle the bidding after 1nt is doubled. Everyone has their pet method: Halmic, Rimington, Wonder bids, etc etc. If one method was perfect then why have so many treatments. And I am sure one can make up a hand to prove their point. Exit transfers have worked for me so far.

jerome keslin

Nov 22, 2023, 2:32:57 PM11/22/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
sorry I forgot to mention:
Guoba, Truscott, DONT, BidPig, Owen, Nilsland