Double of a stopper showing bid

jerome keslin

Jul 29, 2021, 4:08:27 AM7/29/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
 IMP, all vul.
Partner opens 1C.
You hold:
Axx, x, AJxx, T9xxx.

1c -  p.  - 2c - p
2h - dbl - ?

How should we proceed?

Fred.

Aug 1, 2021, 2:09:51 PM8/1/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

Responder's hand evaluates to 10.95 KnR, which  is a fair amount
above Adam's 8.5 KnR minimum for the inverted minor raise, even
allowing for the heart duplication.  Without the double I'd bid 2S, and
 I think that is what I should bid here as responder.  AJx, x, QJ9x, T9xxx
would be a minimum (8.65 KnR) deserving a 3C rebid.  It's important to
give opener, who may have to make a decision over 4H or 5H, the news
that bigger things are possible.

Fred.

doug...@aol.com

Aug 1, 2021, 3:20:38 PM8/1/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Fred, for the reasons he cited. My values are suitable for a C contract or for defense.

If I end up on lead against a H contract,  I'm leading my trump. This skewers partner but they were hoping to do that anyway. Our side has no obvious ruffing opportunites... might as well reduce theirs.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kaplan-sheinwold/0b3d46b0-594f-4441-a1fc-baa2fd0aa4ban%40googlegroups.com
.

Christopher Monsour

Aug 1, 2021, 4:35:10 PM8/1/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I guess it's a matter of style, but I would think pass shows a hand better than a 3C rebid, and I think it paints a better picture of my hand.  I don't know how partner ever envisions AJxx of diamonds after I choose to bid 2S over the doubler when I could have passed.

Aug 3, 2021, 6:53:57 AM8/3/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
In my partnership,  3C would be the weakest call. Anything else is stronger, including pass, which to me would digest the INability to bid 2S.

Not sure why 2S would deny D values. After opener's 2H and no double, what would you bid if not 2S? 2N would show both side stoppers but surely wrong-sides the contract, while 3D seems aggressive for the values, even if it doesn't deny the S ace.

Fred.

Aug 9, 2021, 10:18:42 PM8/9/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
My partnership style is for pass to be the strongest action,
in this case a hand that doesn't want to stop in 4m, even if
opener has minimum with 2 or 3 doomed HCP in the stopped
suit.   A stopper showing bid by responder shows decent controls
and extras, as here, but is not as encouraging.

Fred.