After a 1d response is ovetcalled

jerome keslin

Dec 12, 2020, 7:15:17 AM12/12/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
1c - p - 1d - 1h
  ?

What do opener's rebids mean?

Thanks,
Jerome.

Adam Wildavsky

Dec 12, 2020, 11:45:41 AM12/12/20
to kaplan-sheinwold
Best to decide what opener's double means first. Most pairs agree to play it the same way as over a 1M response.
  • Edgar played it for penalties.
  • Doug Doub and I use it to show 15+ HCP.
  • Mark Feldman and I also show 15+ HCP, but takeout oriented.
  • 3-card support is another popular treatment, though some play this only after a 1M response.
From the list archives:

"Playing KSU with the late Ivar Stakgold a few years ago I picked up a 4=2=3=4 16-count with KQJT of spades. After 1♣ (p) 1♥ (1♠)  I doubled for penalties. With a minimum response and a stiff ♠ Ivar properly pulled to 2♣. After two passes LHO tried 2♠ and when it came around to me I was stubborn enough to double again. I knew what to lead and we set it a few tricks."

Fred.

Dec 12, 2020, 3:51:01 PM12/12/20
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Actually, in the 1963 revision of the _Kaplan Sheinwold System
 of Winning Bridge_ EK proceeded in the opposite direction from
Adam.  EK started with the general rule that opener's rebids had
the same limits as if RHO had not bid, except hands at the bottom
of their ranges would be passed.   He left double undiscussed, but
I have always assumed that he intended that it be penalty oriented.

But, there's lots of room for choice here.  My partnership plays
double = penalty, pass = 15-17 balanced, 1NT = 1 suiter too
strong for 2m, with a fragment in the opponent's overcall.   So,
of course, we are required to rebid 2m (or 1S with 4 of them in
this particular sequence) with a minimum.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Dec 12, 2020, 6:24:21 PM12/12/20
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Kaplan's approach to "free bids" was that "and I really mean it" was appended to any bid.

Not stronger, but not least-of-evils either.

So you wouldn't rebid Q10xxx in clubs on the given auction.

Carl

jerome keslin

Dec 13, 2020, 12:29:45 AM12/13/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
After 1c - p -1d - 1h,  what meaning(s) should be given to openers 2h  cue bid?
Game force, asking for a heart stop, something else?

Fred.

Dec 19, 2020, 5:04:44 PM12/19/20
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I think that was his approach to free responses.  With KTxx-xxx-xx-xxxx
responder would bid 1S over a minor opening, fearing that opener might
have a big hand passed out, but, but pass RHO's 1H overcall around to
opener.

He did say that opener's free rebids had the same limits as when
forced, but going further into the discussion, it becomes clear that
 he meant upper limits.  For instance, on page 196 of the paperback
 reprint, he goes on to say:  "That free 1NT rebid, for example, is
probably 16 or 17 points with good spades."

The problem with his approach is that it does not distinguish
between a balanced 15 HCP, and a weak unbalanced hand,
and leaves opener rebidding 2m with a strong minor and a
stop in RHO's suit.  In practice, we've taken very little damage
rebidding bad 2m's, and in some cases 2m has lead to
worthwhile competition.

Fred.

judyorcarl

Dec 20, 2020, 11:20:47 PM12/20/20
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
A consistent method is for opener's double to be 15+ with some clear defect for notrump.

Opener's pass to be minimum with poor suit.

Carl

doug...@aol.com

Dec 21, 2020, 8:19:17 AM12/21/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

This is what my partnership has always played.

There was a discussion here years ago that termed this the "Strong NT Double", a slight misnomer in the present example as, when 1NT is available and sensible, we bid that. If the intervention preempts openers 1N rebid or makes it unwise, then the Double stands in. Essentially, Double covers any  hand that's too strong to pass yet lacks a sensible rebid.

We use this Double over intervention at any level, in the following defined auctions:

1m - any - (R) - (I)
?

R = any response that *could* include 9+. A Negative Dbl qualifies, but these responses do not:
- 1m - pass - 1NT (5-8)
- 1m - 1X - 2m (<9, Responder would cuebid with Limit Raise+ values)

I = any Intervention at any level, including a Dbl

Opener rebids normally when possible. A double (or redouble) is defined as, "15+, no descriptive rebid available".

Pass indicates <15 and denies any shape that would want to rebid freely (ie, no fit for responder, no 4 spades if a 1S rebid was available, no 6-card m).

Since most opponents aren't intervening on air, Pass occurs more frequently than Double. It's important to develop a firm understanding of what it shows, which is a consequence of the partnership's opening methods and style. Our definition is similar to Carl's, with a twist.

We play mini-Roman, so our 1m openings on <15 guarantee 5+ cards in the m. We alert Opener's Pass & enjoy the opponent's look of confusion/admiration/annoyance when we explain that O has a minimum range opening bid with exactly 5 in the m.

This structure results in sound 2m or 3m contracts that the field can't reach. It also unearths some penalty doubles when we have the preponderance of values and there's no clear fit for either side. Outcomes weaker than the field's are rare, the most common being playing a sound minor suit contract and scoring less than the field in an unsound but makeable 1NT... irrelevant at IMPs but annoying at MPs. We find solace in knowing we bid more accurately. ;)

Doug

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kaplan-sheinwold/37c9d2f4-e511-4202-a47a-dda7a1002d9bn%40googlegroups.com
.

Fred.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:53:40 AM12/21/20
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
We play it as a hand eligible for a 2NT or 3NT rebid and
asking for a half stop or better.   Responder's rebid
is similar to 2NT rebid plus 2S, & 2NT natural, GF.  This
makes 3C Wolff  Relay, so, the 2 level cue bid is not quite
a game force.  I'd expect that with the rare 2NT hand blank
in the adverse suit we would pass, as we do the 15-17
balanced hand,  and with the 3NT hand with nothing in the
adverse suit, we would bid a fragment.

Fred.