Your rebid playing KSU

chuck and teril swart

Nov 3, 2023, 2:40:31 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Imps, non-vul vs vul. You are first to speak and hold:
K2
A9
KT9852
A74

You open 1d and the bidding goes
1d (P) 1H (P)
?

Is this hand too good for 2d, according to B-10 which says "not 14 if a good suit"?
If you don't bid 2d then what is your call.

Adam Wildavsky

Nov 3, 2023, 2:49:42 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I’ll happily rebid 2d. Edgar did not define “good six-card suit” but to my mind it should contain at least two of the top three honors. Even with that, I’d like some texture as well.

jerome keslin

Nov 3, 2023, 3:53:18 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't think this hand is
 " severely " limited.
Upgrade to a 1nt rebid. Auctions easier after this.

Adam Wildavsky

Nov 3, 2023, 5:32:06 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It’s not the hand that’s limited, it’s the auction. Possibly this is a distinction without a difference.

Christopher Monsour

Nov 3, 2023, 8:25:37 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

I’d definitely rebid 1N at matchpoints, but 2D, keeping strain open, seems better at IMPs.

Christopher Monsour

Nov 3, 2023, 8:26:29 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

And if I think it’s too good for 2D (I don’t), 2C is an option.

Steve Willner

Nov 3, 2023, 9:11:11 AM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Isn't 2D a "miserable minimum?" I don't think the example hand is that.
(C4 = 15.95.) I think 1NT is within range, but I'd rebid 2C. It could
be right to play 3NT from my side, but it seems more likely that
partner's side is better.
--
Steve Willner

Fred.

Nov 3, 2023, 2:22:42 PM11/3/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I agree with Adam.  Opener expects that responder
will rebid 3NT with a random 10 HCP after

1D - 1H
2C -  2H
3D

I want the responding hand to have a good 2-card diamond
fit as well.  With 10-11 HCP including a good 2-card diamond
fit,  I think responder will try 2NT after

1D - 1H
2D

Fred.

doug...@aol.com

Nov 3, 2023, 2:34:52 PM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
This was my first thought, expecting to rebid 3D.

jerome keslin

Nov 3, 2023, 3:06:07 PM11/3/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It is not clear to me how responder is supposed to continue after a 2c rebid, holding xxx, KJxxx, x, Qxxx. Apparently 2h is forcing in KSU and then a 3d rebid by opener is problematic.

Steve Willner

Nov 3, 2023, 3:50:54 PM11/3/23
On 11/3/23 3:05 PM, jerome keslin wrote:
> It is not clear to me how responder is supposed to continue after a 2c
> rebid, holding xxx, KJxxx, x, Qxxx.

If responder thinks the hand is no longer a real response, given the
diamond misfit, the answer is to pass 2C. If responder thinks (as I do)
this is a normal minimum response, the bid is 2H, which shows no extra
values and is mandatory with a 5+cM.

> Apparently 2h is forcing in KSU and
> then a 3d rebid by opener is problematic.

What's the problem? Responder has a minimum response and passes. 4C,
if that's what you were thinking of, shows game interest. (Not to
mention that opener's club suit could have been a doubleton.)

--
Steve Willner

Fred.

Nov 3, 2023, 4:51:11 PM11/3/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I can't imagine responder calling anything but 2H on the
second round.  2C is essentially unlimited and a good
4H contract is decidedly a possibility.   Sometimes you
are set when everything is wrong.

Fred.

Ronald Kalf

Nov 4, 2023, 3:42:00 AM11/4/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

2C for me, I rate the hand 16. 1N is an interesting option, but the hand doesn‘t look notrumpish and likely plays better from the other side.