A 2 club opening.

jerome keslin

Apr 21, 2022, 3:09:08 PM4/21/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
In KSU it states that

2c  -  2d
2nt

shows 23-24.

Would the group open 2c with only 22 points intending to rebid 2nt after a 2d response, with the following hand?

AKx
Kx
AKxxx
AJx

The hand had no decent spots.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Adam Wildavsky

Apr 21, 2022, 3:34:00 PM4/21/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I see nowhere in KSU stating a 23-24 requirement. By implication it's at least a decent 22, since a 2N opening is:

20-21 points (not a "bad 20" - too many queens, honors in short suits; treat a "bad 22" as 21)

This hand has 22.95 CCCC, so I'd open 2c.

I always try to post a hand's CCCC when discussing evaluation. It saves the readers from having to look it up (or calculate it) themselves.

Sent via Superhuman

Christopher Monsour

Apr 21, 2022, 4:42:10 PM4/21/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
The 5th card in a suit headed by AK is always a good spot!

Get Outlook for Android

Apr 21, 2022, 4:53:41 PM4/21/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

In the version of KSU which I downloaded from the Bridge world site, there is a small section on Strong Opening bids.

image.png

Fred.

Apr 21, 2022, 6:17:04 PM4/21/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
A 2NT opening would have a similar problem facing a hand
which would respond 2D.   Though responder might raise
to 3NT on a queen and a jack,  you might make it.

But, with 75% of the controls in the deck  it's  also a hand
which might roll a small slam facing a king and some
quacks.  I wouldn't even consider opening 1H unless
desperate to avoid a minus.

2C gives you a better upside for about the same downside
as 2NT.

Fred.

Adam Wildavsky

Apr 21, 2022, 6:22:29 PM4/21/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
You’re right, Jerome. The version I linked to is the same, I just didn’t read carefully enough. That means there’s an inconsistency that I’d not noticed before!

In any case, I’d still open this one 2c.

Fred.

Apr 21, 2022, 8:01:32 PM4/21/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I think we both patched it up on reading.  By the time I got
to the 2nd period under 2C, I'd already rebid 2NT with 22,
so I didn't look at the low end of the range, and, I suspect,
neither did you for the same reason.

Fred.