Jan 2024 BW Challenge the Champs Hand 3

chuck and teril swart

Dec 31, 2023, 6:50:16 PM12/31/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
This seems very difficult to bid in KSU:
South Dealer EW vulnerable

West
AKJ65
Q62
KQ7
A6

East
Q87
AKJ75
J875

Alex Martelli

Dec 31, 2023, 7:06:24 PM12/31/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
With opps silent, it should start 1S-3H... responder's hand may not meet the full requirement for a KS strong JS, but, what's the point of playing strong JS if you don't use one with substantially more than an opening bid, good fit, good side suit, slammish hopes...?

If I was W after that response, getting a strong JS on my 19-hcp opener, I'd zoom right into a 4N RKCB, and likely end in 7H (y, 7NT is better,, but E would probably bid the same way w/something like xx-AKJxxx-A-QJxx, in which case 7H is great and 7NT definitely isn't).

I don't have the Jan'24 BW issue at hand -- how did the contestants bid it? Of course a good strong-club relay system (say, McCallum-Woolsey's "KK Relay") would make mincemeat out of this and easily reach 7NT, but, within the compass of non-Relay, natural-ish systems, I'm not sure how one could realistically do better.

Alex

Carl WEISMAN

Dec 31, 2023, 11:14:59 PM12/31/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
The spade queen is crucial. Your auction leaves it in doubt.

In KS, the forced rebid is 3S. That will yield 4S, confirming the spade queen. But leaves the heart king in doubt.

Maybe after 1S - 3H; 3S - 4S; ? there should be six aces.

Adam Wildavsky

Jan 1, 2024, 12:32:18 AMJan 1
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It’s tough to construct a strong JS that’s missing the HK. If opener is in doubt, though, cue-bidding will find it.

4S over 3S should make the hand easy, but responder, not willing to be passed in 4S, might rebid 4d.

Carl WEISMAN

Jan 1, 2024, 7:40:24 AMJan 1
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I am not willing to check the notes, but I recall that 1S - 3H; 3S - 4S ; ? is explicitly forcing.

Carl WEISMAN

Jan 1, 2024, 7:44:18 AMJan 1
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Forget I wrote that.

Steve Willner

Jan 1, 2024, 10:06:45 AMJan 1
On 12/31/23 7:06 PM, Alex Martelli wrote:
> With opps silent, it should start 1S-3H... responder's hand may not meet
> the full requirement for a KS strong JS,

In my view, SJS is for hands that want to send a slam signal but aren't
willing to bid above game on their own. (SJS can also be used for rare
hands that will take control after opener's rebid.) The East hand
Q87 AKJ75 A J875
looks within range to me. I agree with Alex that we ought to get to the
grand after that, but we probably wouldn't find NT.

(As an aside: I got the dealer wrong at first. It would have been
clearer to format the EW hands horizontally.)

On 1/1/24 12:32 AM, Adam Wildavsky wrote:
> 4S over 3S should make the hand easy, but responder, not willing to be
> passed in 4S, might rebid 4d.

Per my view above, if responder is not willing to pass 4S, he shouldn't
start with a JS. Is the hand strong enough to bid above game on its
own, though? Why can't there be three quick club losers?