3d asking

jerome keslin

Oct 29, 2020, 11:49:47 AM10/29/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Forgive the question which has nothing to do with KS, but I was curious to know if anyone has heard of, or plays the following :

After a 3 club preempt, a 3 diamond responds asks opener for a 3 card major. If he has one , he rebids the OTHER major to right side the contract.

Christopher Monsour

Oct 29, 2020, 12:17:26 PM10/29/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I've heard of it.  (I think it's in _Preempts A to Z_.)

Unless you preempts are always very classic, I'd suggest using the 3D response as something more like Ogust.  It doesn't matter too much what the other responses mean as long as 3C-3D-3S means "my suit will run opposite Ax or Kx".

Oct 29, 2020, 12:41:34 PM10/29/20
to kaplan-sheinwold
In a couple of partnerships I play something suggested by Peter Boyd:
  • 3♦ shows an invite in a major or doubt about 3N
    • 3♥ = I would reject a ♥ invite.
    • 3♠ = I would accept a ♥ invite but reject a ♠ invite.
    • 3N = I would accept either major suit invite and 3N is fine with me.
    • 4♣ = Sorry!

aholl...@cox.net

Oct 29, 2020, 7:04:25 PM10/29/20
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

Another version that I have seen is 3as Puppet to 3 to either a) play 3  b) differentiate strength of immediate/delayed 3♠.

Scientists can then decide meaning of immediate 3and responder’s 3followed by various rebids. I can’t recall which pair(s) were using this, so can’t check for the follow-ups they used.

Finally thought of who might be playing that treatment. At one point Brink-Drijver used:

3!D = PUP 3!H  a) !H, to play  b) !S, FG  c) doubt about 3N  d) !H & !S

Historical note: confirm 3♣ - 3 ask for 3-card major is mentioned in Preempts A to Z [Sabine Zenkel & Ron Andersen]. Fuzzy memory has someone mentioning the convention before that publication.

Current note: at least one Dutch pair uses the 3ask and defines the immediate 3– 3M  conditionally a) 1st seat favorable = NF  b) otherwise F1