Upgrading.

jerome keslin

Sep 1, 2021, 6:47:54 AM9/1/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com

Playing IMP pairs , vul against not.
After 3 passes I opened 1 club with:

AQ73
9854
A4
AT7

I thought I was too good to open 1nt with 3 and a 1/2 quicktricks and if my partner responded in a major I thought that I could support  him as my hand was worth 15 points with my prime values and a doubleton.
What is your opinion?
Thanks,
Jerome.

Adam Wildavsky

Sep 1, 2021, 1:53:06 PM9/1/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Partner should not be disappointed in your dummy if you raise 1M to 2M. Indeed, opening 1N could miss a good 4-4 major suit game. That said, why consult us when you can (in a way) ask Edgar?

The hand would be 14.55 with the H7 instead of the H8 - that seems to be giving the 8 too much credit. I would not call a 1N opening a mistake.

I asked years ago what list members thought ranges should be when taking fractional points into account. I don't recall the discussion going anywhere. Doug and I make 1N 12.0 to 14.50, a 1N rebid 14.51 to 17.50, and so on. I don't have any evidence that that's best - it's worked well enough for us.

Sent via Superhuman

Alex Martelli

Sep 1, 2021, 8:44:46 PM9/1/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
You may be interested in Kevin Cadmus' adjustments to HCP for balanced hands -- derived, so Kevin says, from HUGE amounts of computer simulations, in the millions of deals (my own simulations, as published in Jan and Feb 2000 issues of The Bridge World, ran into just tens of thousands, and deliberately picked very unbalanced hands to eliminate a lot of variability).

Kevin's results are only published, to the best of my knowledge, in an appendix to his "BFUN" book (now getting close to a 7th edition), focused on describing a system focused on canape, strong club, weak NT, and relays (I've been trying out BFUN for months with a Diamond LM partner in TV -- online games only, of course, since I'm in CA, and it does seem to be fun but not 100% effective... but that's a different subject). These "TTS" adjustments are focused on results on declaring a no-trump contract.

Summarizing the "TTS" adjustments to raw HCPs:
  • a + for every A and 10; a - for every Q and J
  • 2 - for a doubleton headed by Q; one - for doubleton or tripleton headed by J
  • a + for 3+ card suit headed by AQ, AJ, or KJ
  • a - for any suit headed by AK
The latter's obviously the astonishing novelty: this is the only evaluation scheme I ever heard of, where having A and K together is rated BELOW having them separate (rather than equal, as in HCP or LTC; or more, as in QT). The other stuff seems pretty much commonsense.

Net out +s and -s: a net 3, either way, is worth one HCP.

In your hand,
AQ73
9854
A4
AT7
you have 4 single-card +s (3As, 1 10) vs 1 single-card - (that Q); AQxx in S add another +1, so, net, +4, which is equivalent to 1.33 HCP. So adding those to your 14 HCP, you have 15.33, no doubt too strong for a 12-14 NT (BFUN expresses all balanced-hand ranges down to 1/3rd of a point, of course; BFUN's weak NT, for example, is 12+ to 15).

The TTS adjustments are few and simple enough that it's not a stretch to do them at the table!

Alex

jerome keslin

Sep 2, 2021, 1:20:03 AM9/2/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex.
If i understood you correctly are you saying that in
" TTS " , each positive value is worth 0.33 points?