what is your response?

chuck and teril swart

May 8, 2022, 1:50:12 AM5/8/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Imps, vul vs non, third seat playing KSU
You hold:
AJT862
AK3
KJ7

The auction goes
P      (P)    1H   (P);
1NT   (P)    ?
Is your hand worth a 3H bid?
If not, do you bid 2C?
If not what?
If the consensus is to bid 2C, then I have followup questions.

doug...@aol.com

May 8, 2022, 9:07:30 AM5/8/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I choose 3H. Per C-2, this shows:

- "17-19 points" - my 17HCP are control rich, making them worth more than 17

- "strong 6-card or longer M" - my H include nearly all the intermediates, making play opposite minimal support viable

- "nonforcing but rarely passed" - There's play for game opposite HKx and the D or C Q. Add a second Q anywhere but S and game becomes probable. I don't want partner seeking excuses to pass; I want them seeking excuses to bid.

Fred.

May 9, 2022, 8:48:06 AM5/9/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I admit to a little prejudice against 3H because it cuts
off lots of options.  I think it's really close between 3H
and 2C.  After 2C, a responder holding a doubleton
heart will almost certainly rebid 2H, 2NT, or 3H.

Follow ups:

2D:  2H = 16+ per C-2
2H:  3H = ditto
2S:  5C at imps, 4C at match points
2N:  4H
3C:  4C at imps, pass at match points
3D:  5D at imps, 4D at match points
3H: 4H

The argument for 2C at match points is that it is somewhat
 more likely to lead to a plus score than 3H.  The argument
for 2C at IMP scoring is that opener's hand makes a fine
minor suit dummy.  Even slam is possible: xx-x-QJT*-AQT*.
The argument for 3H is that it is more likely to pick up any
heart game.

Fred.

Christopher Monsour

May 9, 2022, 8:52:40 AM5/9/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I'd be a lot more careful over responders 2S rebid since I don't think it promises five clubs.  I assume 3D would be forcing next and would try that.  5C could easily be the wrong game, with 4H ,(or even 3N) cold.

Get Outlook for Android

Also, C-3 does not say that when responder bids 2♠ he denies 2♥

Sent via Superhuman

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 8:48:06 AM
To: The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System <kaplan-sheinwold@googlegroups.com>

Christopher Monsour

May 9, 2022, 11:10:20 AM5/9/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
It also doesn't deny holding more diamonds than clubs.  I bid 3D next since we might belong in 5D.

Get Outlook for Android

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kaplan-sheinwold/CAHkRE_31Nek77ctKhZmj0t7-5%2Bj9Q5rdSvy_cd8QT%2B9Nv7GBBw%40mail.gmail.com.

chuck and teril swart

May 9, 2022, 1:57:31 PM5/9/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
There are good arguments for both 2c and 3H at the table opener bid 2c. You are responder and hold
A954
QJ65
T942

What do you bid?

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 8:48:06 AM
To: The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System <kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com>

Adam Wildavsky

May 9, 2022, 2:40:25 PM5/9/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
What indeed? Here's C-3 for reference:

C-3
1 M
-
1 NT
2 m
-
?
2 M
6-9 points, normally 2-card support. If 3-card support, very bad hand.
2 NT
10-11 points, denies 3 cards in M, balanced.
3 M
10-11 points, 3 cards in M, no singleton.
3 m
8-9 points, normally 5 cards in m, likely singleton M.
2 ♠ or 3 ♥ (OM)
Strong bid in OM, "impossible bid," is fit in m, like 3 m, but 10-11 points. Forcing one round, no relationship to bid major, artificial.
2 ♦ (when m=♣)
Natural, nonforcing, 5-9, likely singleton M.
3 ♣ (when m=♦)
Natural, nonforcing, long clubs, likely singleton M.
3 ♦ (when m=♣)
Natural, nonforcing, 10-11, no stopper in OM, 6-card or longer diamonds.
2 ♥ (when M=♠)
Natural, 5-8, could be 5-carder with doubleton spade, so opener seldom passes with singleton heart.
Pass
Rare, 5-7, singleton M, fit for m; conceivably, doubleton M, 4-5 cards in m, very weak hand.

Sent via Superhuman

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 8:48:06 AM
To: The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System <kaplan-sheinwold@googlegroups.com>

Fred.

May 9, 2022, 3:51:40 PM5/9/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I guess my partnership got stuck in a place where 3c, and,
thus, 2S, promised 7-9 HCP mostly concentrated in a 5cC,
or even a 6-card suit.  This promised, not only a place to
 land,  but a source of tricks  for 3NT when opener held 15
or 16 HCP and good controls.

But, I concede that C-3 permits 3c on a 4cC.  I wonder,
given that 2C is often , a 3-card, or even occasionally
a 2-card suit, why it should.

Fred.

Steve Willner

May 9, 2022, 3:56:58 PM5/9/22
On 5/9/22 3:51 PM, Fred. wrote:
> But, I concede that C-3 permits 3c on a 4cC.  I wonder,
> given that 2C is often , a 3-card, or even occasionally
> a 2-card suit, why it should.

When opener rebids 3C on a short suit, won't opener have a planned
second rebid?

--
Steve Willner

Christopher Monsour

May 9, 2022, 4:07:49 PM5/9/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Given that 2S is forcing and that an 11 trick contract or even a slam may be in view, I think 2S is far more likely than 3C to be on a 4-card suit.

I would not raise clubs with the responding hand shown.  It's not just that I have only four but they aren't even a stopper, whilst I have both unbuds stopped.  I'd probably bid 2N.  We may get too high but at least we won't be in a ridiculous strain.

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 3:51:39 PM