pre-emptive responses

Carl WEISMAN

Mar 9, 2024, 8:50:04 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
This isn’t particular to KS. Discussion of pre-emptive responses always assumes opener is dealer. But things are different when they are not. Often way different.

After 1m - (P) - ? there is a live chance that the best hand at the table is on your left. If so, you want to make their life difficult.

After (P) - 1m - (P) - ? the best hand at the table is certainly not on your left, and pre-empting with a 2-trick overbid has the serious risk of turning a plus to a minus.

And after P - (P) - 1m - (P) - ? it’s even worse.

What to do about it? I have no idea.

Carl

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 8:54:05 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
You respond 1N a lot more!

Get Outlook for Android

Mar 9, 2024, 8:56:22 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
And with very weak hands, you pass more.   For example, if partner opens 1D at favorable, I'm bidding 3D with x xxx Kxxx xxxxx if he was dealer, but passing otherwise.

Get Outlook for Android

Mar 9, 2024, 8:59:07 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't use weak jump shifts by a passed hand. I prefer to play them as fit-showing. If I held a hand suitable for a preempt I'd have opened on the first round.

One could vary this if using a 2♦ or 2M opening as something other than a weak 2, but I do not.

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 9:02:20 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I thought KSU used strong jump shifts by unpassed hands.   I hate WJS in uncontested auctions, but fully endorse FSJ by passed hands, except for keeping 3C as natural, non-fit, if playing Drury.

Get Outlook for Android

Mar 9, 2024, 9:04:37 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
When playing Drury I do as Chris suggests and retain 3♣ as a natural invite. I use 2N to show a club fit. This avoids wrong-siding 3N when opener accepts the club invite.

Christopher Monsour

Mar 9, 2024, 9:05:38 PMMar 9
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I do the same