4th seat intervenes with a WJO.

jerome keslin

Aug 7, 2022, 1:11:48 AM8/7/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
IMP pairs, no one vul.

1c - p - 1h - 2s
  p - p -   p

Responder passed the hand out with :
873
QT94
QJ87
K4

and 2s was 4 down which only cost the overcaller 1 IMP.

Opener passed 2s with:
AJT4
AJ7
K63
AT7.

Is this the correct bid.
Would 2nt be good - bad?
Or would both double and 2nt show a strong NT with the former being more interested in penalties?
Obviously 4 down doubled or 3nt would have been more profitable.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Martin Ambuhl

Aug 7, 2022, 1:42:45 AM8/7/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Why was opener avoiding the obvious double of 2S? Of double, pass, and
2NT, his pass was by far the worst choice. Or is your partnership one of
the ACBL-pushed absurdity that the opponents should always be able to
make losing bids because you should never double them?

If opener's pass over 2S is "right" in your partnership, responder is
forced to act with a good 8 count. Either double or 2NT rates to do
better than passing.

Or is this pair invested in letting the opponents win?

jerome keslin

Aug 7, 2022, 1:54:52 AM8/7/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Yes thanks Martin. We like to be kind to the opponents.
In your partnership what would be the difference between double and 2nt?

Martin Ambuhl

Aug 7, 2022, 2:50:12 AM8/7/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com, jerome keslin
On 8/7/2022 1:54 AM, jerome keslin wrote:
> Yes thanks Martin. We like to be kind to the opponents.
> In your partnership what would be the difference between double and 2nt?

after
1C pass 1H 2S
double means that you think the opponents have made a mistake. Ron
Klinger's guide lines here are not too far off - for a double of a
2-level bid, he says you would like
a) the majority of HCP (OK)
b) at least 4 trumps (OK)
c) at least 2 trump tricks (OK)

Note that you have no reason to think that there is a game for your
side. If not, your goal is down 2. If there is a game for your side,
the goal is down 3. If partner pulls the double, he should have a
minimum with high cards concentrated in his long heart suit (and you
should pass 3H).

If you bid 2NT, you are suggesting that you think your side will score
better playing the hand than defending. That is not the case here,
at least before seeing partner's hand.

(none vul, IMPs)

David Morgan

Aug 7, 2022, 8:35:11 PM8/7/22
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Playing double as penalties would work well on this specific deal but
would create insurmountable difficulties on a wide range of strong hands
that have no clear bid: imagine the same values but with opener having
xx or xxx in overcaller's suit.  The opponents lucked out here that
responder had too many spades to be able to reopen.  Normally when
opener has a hand like the one he held responder will have one or two
spades, making a reopening double attractive.

Note that playing double as takeout/values will cause the partnership to
miss out on some juicy penalties.  If opener had the same hand with an
extra Q he could not afford to pass as responder would rarely have the
values to reopen.  Instead opener would just have to bid game.  My
simulations suggest these losses are greatly outnumbered by deals where
opener has strength but no clear action, the very types of hands that
can be shown by double if it is not played for penalties.

David
www.avg.com

judyorcarl

Aug 7, 2022, 9:18:50 PM8/7/22
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
2NT should show long strong diamonds with a spade stopper.  After a competitive auction, no 2NT contracts!

Pass should definitely show unbalanced 14-.

Carl