Responder has a balanced 9-11 after a 1d opening

jerome keslin

Dec 9, 2023, 5:15:29 AM12/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
In KSU, 1d - 1nt  is 5-8, and 1d - 2nt is 12-15.
What does responder with  say, 9-11?
Kxx
Qxx
Kxx
Qxxx

Martin Ambuhl

Dec 9, 2023, 6:24:40 AM12/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Please look at B-18 and B-19.

doug...@aol.com

Dec 9, 2023, 9:08:09 AM12/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
See the KSU notes. Per B-1, with 9-11 (12), R bids (in order of preference):
1. 1 M,
2. Single raise with 4-card or longer support, or
3. Other minor.

Continuations after 1D-2C are at B-19.

jerome keslin

Dec 9, 2023, 10:02:13 AM12/9/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, missed that.

Fred.

Dec 9, 2023, 10:45:07 AM12/9/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Let me add to the others:  after either 1c - 1d or 1d - 2c
responder's only weak rebids are in the minors.  Anything
else requires at least 9 HCP.  This is particularly
striking in B-3 where

1c  - 1d
1M - 1NT

promises 9-11 HCP.  With 5-8 balanced, responder should
have bid 1NT rather than 1D.

With a 5-8  5c-3-3-2 you must respond 1NT to 1d.  In his
original KS book, EK recommended that opener rebid 2c
 holding the  like of 1=4=5=3.  Note that there must be an
 8-card fit in one of the minors.  Also, while one could
wind up in a 7-card fit, it's never happened to me in
practice, and it has scored well, even at match points.

Fred.