Question about KSU B-10

chuck and teril swart

Sep 3, 2021, 2:34:35 AM9/3/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
B-10 says that the auction 1m  1M; 2m is "not 14 if good 6-card suit." This implies that a reverse by opener after 1m 1M is very wide range and so 1m  1M; 2R 2M/2nt  3m is still wide range--perhaps 14 to 18 or so. I've wondered whether this treatment is playable. With this in mind how do you bid these two hands? Imps South dealer, EW vul
N    AKQ96
      A862
      7
      J43

S    84
      KQT
      AKQT96
      Q2
Also, would you bid the South hand the same way if the club Q were a small club?

Christopher Monsour

Sep 3, 2021, 3:13:40 AM9/3/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't reverse.  With the diagram hand I rebid 2N, and without the CQ I rebid 1N.  Reversing into hearts with 2=3 in the majors and either a minimum reverse or a partial club stop is just asking for trouble, and the NT rebids are reasonable alternatives.  I do have sympathy for reversing on the weaker hand that has xx in clubs, and after 1D-1S-2H-3H-4D, you end in 4H.  (Responder only has about an extra king beyond what he needed for 3H, so I think he should stop given the misfit, and hearts is the only game known to be playable.)

Chris Monsour

Get Outlook for Android

Sep 8, 2021, 4:43:11 PM9/8/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
It may be hard to select a least-of-evils once the rebid of the minor is excluded.

But it is really important that responder can rely on the badness of 1m-1M; 2m.

Just as it may be hard to find a least-of-evils when a 3-card raise of partner's second suit is excluded.

Carl