A question about C-12

chuck and teril swart

Sep 14, 2023, 7:06:35 PM9/14/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Suppose that the auction goes:
1S  2H;
2S  3S;
Is 3S forcing? KSU doesn't address this and older sources say that a new suit is forcing by responder, suggesting that 3S is not forcing.

jerome keslin

Sep 15, 2023, 2:22:26 AM9/15/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
KSU suggests that 1s - 2h is 9+.
So 1s-2h-2s-3s should be an invite.
To set up a force bid  3rd suit forcing .

Ronald Kalf

Sep 15, 2023, 2:34:55 AM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Before the Update 2H was forcing unless rebid just like 1M-2m. 1S-2H is one of the most awkward sequences and I never liked overloading it even more. IMO 3S should be forcing and 2H should deny a limit raise.
Today I would go back to the original or better still play 1S-3H as invitational and 1S-2H as unconditionally gameforcing. Weaker hands can be handledby Llisa, Bart, Maggie or Gazzilli.

jerome keslin

Sep 15, 2023, 4:34:55 AM9/15/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Maggie.

Excuse my ignorance Ronald but who is Maggie ( Thatcher ? ). Couldn't find it on Google?

judyorcarl

Sep 15, 2023, 8:32:19 AM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
C-12 is badly thought out. Most egregiously, an opener with 12-14 and four hearts has no bid. But I don't think that is relevant to this question.

If 3S is forcing, what is responder to do with 11-12 and 3=5=3=2? Suppress the hearts? That is the modern heresy that playing a 5-3 fit while missing a 5-5 is a trivial matter.

judyorcarl

Sep 15, 2023, 8:34:25 AM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
In no version of K-S was 1S - 3H invitational.

Christopher Monsour

Sep 15, 2023, 8:34:59 AM9/15/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I have a way to make 1S-2H-2S natural and non-forcing that works well.   I have posted it here in the past and will do so again when I have time.

Get Outlook for Android

Sep 15, 2023, 8:36:54 AM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Sorry. I read the post carelessly.

Fred.

Sep 15, 2023, 11:14:11 AM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Agree,  What's more, the hands in question do not qualify
for a 3S bid having 3-card support and no singleton.

Fred.

Ronald Kalf

Sep 15, 2023, 5:32:37 PM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
Maggie belongs to the Simpson family and another variant of Lisa and Bart.

Ronald Kalf

Sep 15, 2023, 5:36:01 PM9/15/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
My suggestion is that a 3crd limit raise goes through F1N. If opener doesn‘t rebid 2H, we play in H, otherwise in S. WTP?

jerome keslin

Sep 16, 2023, 3:28:26 AM9/16/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Don't you mean, that if opener DOES rebid hearts, then we play in hearts.

jerome keslin

Sep 16, 2023, 3:51:18 AM9/16/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
So responder responds 1nt say with xxx, AKxxx, xxx, Kx ?
Now opener rebids 2c with AKxxx, QJx, xx, QJx
4h is now the optimal contract i think (or 3h+1).
Or do you open 1nt with that hand?

Christopher Monsour

Sep 16, 2023, 9:43:12 AM9/16/23
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
Here we go:

After 1S-2H, all of 2S, 2N, and 3H are non-forcing.  (I usually use this in the context of a strong club system, so having 4C and 4D as the only forcing ways to raise hearts is not so bad).  2N is a narrower range (around 12-13 HCP) whereas 2S could bw shapely garbage, or an 11 count you decided to open (translating ranges here to KSU ranges).

After 1S-2H-2S (NF, could be trash):
2N is non-forcing and natural but invitational.  Opener can try to sign off in a suit other than hearts.  3H is COG with 6-7 spades.
3C is GF with 4+ in a minor.  (Details below)
3D is 6+ hearts, invite or better.
3H is exactly 2 spades, invite or better
3S is 3+ spades GF
3N, 4H, 4S, 4N all natural
4C, 4D splinters

After 1S-2H-2S-3C-
3D = 4+
      3H agrees diamonds, 3S clubs with 2 spades, 4D RKC diamonds, 4S non-forcing with a diamond fit, others natural
3H = 4+ ciubs
      3S agrees clubs, 4C RKC clubs, 4S non-forcing with club fit.  Others natural
3S = 6+
3N, 4N else

After 1S-2H-2N (NF but highly invitational)
3C = 4+D GF or 5+D GI ;  now 3D is 2-3 Ds.  All other bids show a diamond fit.
3D = 6+H GI+ (3H is only below game place to stop)
3H = 4+C GF
3S = 3+S GF

I have a way to make 1S-2H-2S natural and non-forcing that works well.   I have posted it here in the past and will do so again when I have time.

Get Outlook for Android

judyorcarl

Sep 16, 2023, 2:01:28 PM9/16/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System

This is ingenious. My reservation is that opener can never show a strong 5-card suit.

Christopher Monsour

Sep 16, 2023, 8:53:05 PM9/16/23
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
It also was admittedly designed in the context of a strong club system.  I have found that the KSU approach to major-suit openings works well in that context, where playing 2/1 GF results in not responding at the two level often enough.