1H 1S 2S 3H

Adam Wildavsky

Sep 23, 2021, 4:53:04 AM9/23/21
to kaplan-sheinwold
Per C-11 in

this is:

"Psychic spades - opener must pass."

Given that most bridge organizations have for years frowned at the idea of "psychic controls" I no longer play the sequence as Edgar did. But that leaves open the question of what it should mean. Any suggestions?

Sent via Superhuman

Christopher Monsour

Sep 23, 2021, 5:54:45 AM9/23/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I assume "this" refers to 1H-1S-2S-3H.  Considering the definitions of the previous bids, I think it ought to be GF with 4 spades and 3 hearts.   Opener raises freely on 3, and responder is supposed to have 5 spades unless too strong for 1N.  Now, if you routine bid 1S instead of 1N with Axxx Axx Qxx Jxx maybe you want it to be invitational instead, but in KSU straight up it really should be natural and forcing.

Get Outlook for Android

Sep 23, 2021, 5:56:44 AM9/23/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I should add that with recent changes to convention charts, has anyone checked whether a multi-meaning 1S response is now allowed?  You might actually be able to play this sequence the old way again.

Get Outlook for Android

Sep 23, 2021, 8:30:51 AM9/23/21
On 9/23/21 5:56 AM, Christopher Monsour wrote:
> I should add that with recent changes to convention charts, has anyone
> checked whether a multi-meaning 1S response is now allowed?  You might
> actually be able to play this sequence the old way again.

As far as I can tell, a 1S response to 1H opening showing either natural
spades or a weak hand with short spades and heart support is legal on
the Open and Open+ charts. I'm not sure how effective it would be if
alerted and explained, though.

If the subject sequence is not natural and GF, how does one bid
responder's hand holding 4=3 in majors and GF values? 2NT?

--
Steve Willner

Christopher Monsour

Sep 23, 2021, 9:00:08 AM9/23/21
to kaplan-s...@googlegroups.com
I assume 2N would be the initial response, yes.  But that's awkward if you have a small doubleton.

Get Outlook for Android

Oct 3, 2021, 1:49:35 PM10/3/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
I've always played 1H-1S, 2S-3H as natural GF.

I would hope as KSU is written that after 1H-1S, 2S-3m
that opener would bid 3S exactly when holding 4cS.

Fred.

Fred.

Oct 12, 2021, 9:54:19 AM10/12/21
to The Kaplan-Sheinwold Bidding System
On reflection, since a GF 3H is not really necessary to handle GF 4S+3H,
perhaps it should be invitational with the same distribution, reserving
2NT for invitational 4S+(0-2)H.

Of course opener might not be too happy with 3H when holding the like
of xxx-AQJx-xx-AJxx.

Also, things  are easier to keep track of when after 1x-1y-2y, 3x and 3z
are always GF.  I don't plan to change 3H when x=H to invitational.

Fred.