[KI-LC] For Consideration: Kantara Draft Social Media Guidelines

Joni Brennan

Mar 28, 2012, 11:22:27 PM3/28/12
to L...@kantarainitiative.org
Today on LC Pete asked about using Twitter for WG/DG announcements and news.  I noted it's a great idea and just the kind of 'grass roots' efforts that help raise the visibility of Kantara == raise the visibility of your WG/DG hard work and efforts!  UMA WG was referenced as an 'all-star' example of how social media can be an EXCELLENT tool for out reach. (Way to go UMA!)

It got me thinking that LC could perhaps explore some how-to's and guidelines regarding social media use for Kantara subject matter.  I came across a good article that allowed free use and re-mixing of some suggested top 10 corporate social media use guidelines [1].  So while the how-to's would have to be generated (I bet UMAnitarians have some helpful input!), perhaps the below are some guidelines for consideration by the LC.  I've spent a little time tweaking them for Kantara purposes. Where the guidelines talk about confidentiality this basically is meant to cover activities of the ARB, IRB and Liaison 3rd Party documents.

For process I suggest the LC could spend a bit of time reviewing the below.  Share comments, optimizations, adds, deletes - etc.  Once the LC feels the draft policy guidelines are stable the LC could vote to recommend the BoT consider ratification of the draft Social Media policy to help guide groups who wish to dive in to the social media sphere.

Note: this activity is not meant to over burden enthusiastic folks, but simply to provide some guidance which would stand along some (to be developed) how-to instructions.

What do you think LC? - Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Draft Social Media Use Guidelines / Policy

1. Be transparent and state that you are a Member or Participant of KANTARA. Your honesty will be noted in the Social Media environment. If you are writing about KANTARA or a competitor, use your real name, identify that you are a Member or Participant of KANTARA, and be clear about your role. If you have a vested interest in what you are discussing, be the first to say so.
2. Never represent yourself or KANTARA in a false or misleading way. All statements must be true and not misleading; all claims must be substantiated.
3. Post meaningful, respectful comments — in other words, please, no spam and no remarks that are off-topic or offensive.
4. Use common sense and common courtesy: for example, it’s best to ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal to KANTARA. Make sure your efforts to be transparent don't violate KANTARA confidentiality.
5. Stick to your area of expertise and do feel free to provide unique, individual perspectives on non-confidential activities at KANTARA.
6. When disagreeing with others' opinions, keep it appropriate and polite. If you find yourself in a situation online that looks as if it’s becoming antagonistic, do not get overly defensive and do not disengage from the conversation abruptly: feel free to ask the Executive Director for advice and/or to disengage from the dialogue in a polite manner that reflects well on KANTARA.
7. If you want to write about competitive activities, make sure to be diplomatic, have the facts straight and that you have the appropriate permissions.
8. Never comment on anything related to contract negotiations, legal matters, litigation, or any parties KANTARA may be in litigation with.
9. Never participate in Social Media when the topic being discussed may be considered a crisis situation.
10. Be smart about protecting yourself, your privacy, and KANTARA confidential information. What you publish is widely accessible and will be around for a long time, so consider the content carefully. Search engines have a long memory.

NOTE: Mainstream media inquiries must be referred to the STAFF.

[1] http://www.pr-squared.com/index.php/2009/07/corporate-social-media-policy-top-10-guidelines

=Joni

Joni Brennan
Kantara Initiative | Executive Director
IEEE-ISTO
voice:+1 732-226-4223
email: joni @ ieee-isto.org

YouTube: Kantara Initiative - The Bridge to Assurance Communities
http://youtu.be/AHFqMUe04lQ

Colin Wallis

Mar 29, 2012, 7:30:14 PM3/29/12
to L...@kantarainitiative.org

And to help those to find UMA’s great Twitter work....

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA+Twitter+Chat

Cheers

Colin

====
CAUTION:  This email message and any attachments contain information that may be confidential and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Thank you.
====

Eve Maler

Mar 31, 2012, 2:10:44 PM3/31/12
to Colin Wallis, L...@kantarainitiative.org
Thanks, y'all, for the kind words about the UMA WG's work! The list below looks good. The only one I question is this one:

9. Never participate in Social Media when the topic being discussed may be considered a crisis situation.

For something like a corporation that's had a data breach, I could see it being advisable to avoid getting ahead of corporate messaging. How would this advice apply to Kantara? At the least, in its current form it seems over-broad.

We've been feeling our way on the tweet chat thing, and so far are pleased with the results. The most important thing is to advertise the chat, particularly relatively close to the time -- in the week and days just before. Having a logo helped us. We've gotten picked up in a number of paper.li dailies and such, and the logo was a great "flag". Coming up with a tantalizing tagline in advertisement tweets seems to help as well (e.g., for getting RT'd). In our case, probably the most popular one was "Websites outsource billing to Chargify. Why not outsource user #privacy/sharing prefs? ..."

Oh, and we also have a Facebook page, which we give the same advertisement and update love as other avenues.

Finally, we use our UMA WG home page on Confluence for news tidbits, and I try to update that at least once a month. We also keep other wiki pages from evincing obvious staleness. That signals to anyone who happens to look that we're active and alive...

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Eve

==== _______________________________________________
LC mailing list
L...@kantarainitiative.org

Eve Maler                                  http://www.xmlgrrl.com/blog
+1 425 345 6756                         http://www.twitter.com/xmlgrrl

Colin Wallis

Apr 1, 2012, 7:51:17 PM4/1/12
to Eve Maler, L...@kantarainitiative.org

Hey thanks Eve.  Great insights.

9. Never participate in Social Media when the topic being discussed may be considered a crisis situation.

<<EM: For something like a corporation that's had a data breach, I could see it being advisable to avoid getting ahead of corporate messaging. How would this advice apply to Kantara? At the least, in its current form it seems over-broad.>>

Ha ha.. J Fair point. I think the problem stems from what we individually understand as a ‘crisis’ situation. I took a ‘double-take’ when I saw this as well, since the NZ govt used twitter quite extensively when we had the earthquakes in Christchurch as a way to both disseminate urgent information and get feedback on problem areas/injured folks etc.

So I assumed Joni had a different understanding of a crisis situation in this context than I did and left it at that

Cheers

Colin

Joni Brennan

Apr 3, 2012, 12:41:46 AM4/3/12
to Colin Wallis, L...@kantarainitiative.org
Eh ... I think the crisis one is just inappropriate for KI and comes out.  Or maybe I left it in there to see who's reading (just kidding).

The rest seems reasonable though.  Fodder for the next LC call > discussion and consensus to recommend to BoT as policy would be next steps.

thx,

Colin Wallis

Apr 3, 2012, 1:03:37 AM4/3/12
to Joni Brennan, L...@kantarainitiative.org

Yea, I can see your point that KI, as an industry consortium in a defined space, wouldn’t play a role in a crisis like a government would..