[WG-Consumer-Identity] Kantara Consumer Identity WG

Bob Pinheiro

Jun 17, 2011, 3:14:22 PM6/17/11
to wg-consume...@kantarainitiative.org
The Kantara  Consumer Identity WG was formed in 2009 with the intent of helping to ensure that emerging Internet-based identity infrastructures are designed and implemented in a way that can help prevent consumer identity theft and other identity-related fraud.  Towards that goal, an Interim Report was produced in October 2010 that described some challenges, and potential solutions, to the problem of high assurance consumer identity/authentication.

The CIWG has largely been inactive since that time, because there has not been sufficient volunteer participation by WG members (or funding) to move this work forward.  Even the Interim Report itself was largely produced by one person (myself).

In my last CIWG update, on February 7, I noted this lack of activity, and requested feedback from WG participants on dates/times for a follow-up meeting, as well as any other comments/suggestions for moving forward.  I received only one response.

Since that time, a few new participants have joined the WG.  In addition, the US government has released its National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC), which has generated considerable interest among the identerati (at least in the US) as a "way forward" for achieving the purported benefits all will enjoy as a result of greater trust among participants in online transactions.

It's now time to evaluate the future of CIWG and determine what role, if any, the WG will have within Kantara and the larger identity community for helping achieve the goals of NSTIC in a way that protects consumers (as well as service providers) from identity fraud, while also protecting consumer privacy and enabling all the good things that will result from the existence of an Internet identity infrastructure.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that the only way for CIWG to achieve anything is to rely on the efforts of volunteer participants.  People are busy with their day jobs, and don't necessarily have time for volunteer efforts.  Other WGs, such as the Health Identity Assurance WG, rely in part on paid contractors/consultants to achieve their goals.   The challenge for CIWG, if it is to continue as a WG, is to define a work program that can either be achieved through volunteer participation, or through funding provided by Kantara or external sources, or some combination thereof.

There are essentially three paths forward for CIWG at this point:

  1. Remain as a Workgroup
    This option is viable only if CIWG is able to define a work program that can attract sufficient volunteer participation and/or funding to achieve its goals.

  2. Become a Discussion Group
    A Discussion Group is more informal than a Workgroup, and exists mainly to serve as a forum for discussion of topics of interest to the group.  DGs may produce reports (but cannot produce draft recommendations).

  3. Disband

Of these three options, transitioning to a  Discussion Group may be the most reasonable, unless there is renewed interest in defining a work program that is achievable.  I would like to avoid shutting down completely, unless there is no interest even in forming a Discussion Group.

I'd like to schedule a CIWG call to discuss these options, and more generally, a viable path forward for CIWG:

Wednesday, June 29, 2011
10AM PT / 1 PM ET / 6 PM UK / 1700 UTC
Skype: ++9900827044630912
US/Canada Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 4630912
UK  +44 (0) 8454018081

If you're a CIWG participant and are not planning to attend this call, I'd still like to get your input on this.  PLEASE provides your thoughts, either to me directly, or to the list, before June 29!!

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG