Your March update from the Kantara team

Kantara Initiative

Mar 1, 2023, 4:25:21 PM3/1/23
to kantara-initiative-u...@googlegroups.com
A word from our new President ...

Thank you to all our members for endorsing our new Board of Directors and to my fellow Directors for choosing me to be Kantara President and Board Chair for 2023. I'm proud to continue serving Kantara's members to advance the state of practice for assured identification and personal data management.

2023 promises to be another 'surge' year for digital identity and credentials. The online world is shifting to make digital credentials a centrepiece of the trust relationship between individuals and organizations. This means that assurance of identity information management practices continues to increase in importance.

We are seeing initiatives from around the world that require higher assurance identification when dealing with government-issued identification credentials, when managing personal health information, and as a foundational element of anti-fraud programs.

Significant examples include:

* The US Federal Government intention to issue directives for anti-fraud measures partly as a reaction to the massive fraud losses in pandemic-related relief programs.

* In Health IT, the US Office of the National Coordinator, through its TEFCA initiative, is encouraging identity proofing service providers to be certified for NIST IAL2.

* In the EU, eIDAS v2 and the EU Digital Identity Wallet require high assurance for identification data.

These regulatory pressures are driving interest in Kantara's Identity Assurance Framework and Trust Operations Program. This in turn is increasing interest in Kantara from other jurisdictions.

On the Innovation front, our work groups continue to break new ground, providing input to:

  • NIST SP 800-63 v4 draft,
  • new consent management specifications and tools,
  • identification for underserved populations,
  • diversity, equity and inclusion integration,
  • promotion of User-Managed Access, and
  • guidance for producers and holders of mobile driving licenses and digital credentials.

I encourage each of you to spread the word about Kantara and your ability to have a greater voice in the industry as a result of your participation. Since Kantara is a member-driven organization, our focus is on bringing new members into the fold to maintain our ranks and broaden Kantara's reach.

I look forward to seeing many of you at conferences, discussing topics of the day on work group calls, and driving the evolution of trustworthy use of identity and personal data!

My best regards

Andrew Hughes
President
Kantara Initiative

Alec Laws elected to Chair of the Kantara Leadership Council

Chief Technology Officer, of IDENTOS, Alec Laws, has been elected as Chair of Kantara Initiative's Leadership Council.

Alec’s decade of experience in tech, alongside his positive track record of helping to transform the digital health landscape, make him a valuable addition to our leadership team in his new role at Kantara.”  (Kay Chopard, Executive Director, Kantara Initiative)   Read more ...

IDEMIA compliant with NIST SP 800-63 rev. 3 Component Service at IAL2

"Trust in the development and deployment of identity solutions can only be achieved if organizations and their customers believe the technology has been rigorously assessed and deemed compliant with the most robust standards. We welcome IDEMIA onto the Kantara “Trust Status” list of service providers and congratulate them for the hard work and team effort that goes into achieving IAL2 approval." (Kay Chopard)

From our Team
Our US Assurance Program Manager on meeting the requirements of NIST 800-63-3

Having worked with one of our approved assessors, you will be ready to submit your application for final consideration by our Assurance Review Board (ARB) who review many different applications every month. We want to make sure that by the time you get to this stage, you have the best possible chance of Approval.

Our US Assurance Program Manager offers some top tips and guidance to that might just help .....

Read more
Update from our Advanced Notice Consent Receipt & Identity Assurance Work Groups

We encourage our Work Groups to share updates on their work every month. This month we hear from Salvatore d'Agostino and Andrew Hughes on activity in the ANCR group and IAWG respectively.

We welcome new contributors and participation in our Work Groups and you do not need to be a member of Kantara to participate.  Further information is available here

(Photo credited to Dylan Gillis on Unsplash)

Read our updates here
Heading to Las Vegas for Identiverse? KI member discount available

Announcing our first event partnership this Spring! We are supporting Identiverse 2023 as an industry partner and will be presenting and chairing several of the sessions in Las Vegas. Kantara members are entitled to 20% discount. Simply get in touch with the Kantara Events Team to request your discount code.

Celebrating International Women's Day 2023 with Kay Chopard

Next week sees us supporting International Women's Day. Kay Chopard will be hosting two events for Women in Identity: On 7th March she'll be with the team from KPMG and on 8th March she will be interviewing Melissa Heng of Capital One. Follow us on social (@KantaraNews; @KantaraInitiative) or register via the Women in Identity site

  Twitter   Linkedin