[WG-UMA] Draft minutes of UMA telecon 2021-09-16

1 view

Alec Laws

Sep 16, 2021, 10:30:08 AM9/16/21
to wg-uma@kantarainitiative.org WG
https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/UMA+telecon+2021-09-16

Minutes

Roll call

Quorum was NOT reached.

Approve minutes

Deferred

Correlated Authorization

https://github.com/uma-email/poc

Today in UMA can push the token, addition is binding the ticket to the pushed token

There's nothing bad about this claim token profile, not sure what the specific use-case or outcome it tries to create

What is the motivation for needing the correlation? Is there a specific outcome the correlation creates over 'ticket challenge-less' claims pushing?

  • not allowing RpQ token reuse. Is this beneficial? is it tied to the first use of that token and require re-issuance if the AS needs_info
  • non-interactive RqP id assertion

OAuth vs UMA content

Since this a common information request, could we create some good standard content/position?

EIC Points:

OAuth

  • Tokens issued to a Resource Owner at a Client
  • Communication between Resource Server and Authorization Server is out of scope
    • this necessarily 'narrows' the ecosystem, since the RS and AS need to agree ahead of time on authorization details
    • usually RS/AS are in the same domain (eg TLD) Is this something that OAuth says or is it what people naturally implement?

There are OAuth extensions that drive to UMA-like outcomes, such as Token Exchange which allows a Client to get a token representing another party. Or GNAP which takes a bunch of UMA + OAuth features and derives a new authorization protocol.

Typically considered as 1 RS and 1 AS, with many RPs/clients

UMA

  • Tokens issued to a Requesting Party at a Client
  • Defines API between RS and AS for: resource registration, permission ticket creation and introspection
  • There can be "many of everything" not just Clients ← this is a "hard" concept for people to grasp at times

People ofter struggle with the 'nicknamed tokens', understanding they are access token which specific scopes/purposes. PCT has often been a hard one to understand, not widely implemented today because of this?

UMA Outcomes:

  • RO to RqP delegation,
  • decouple consent(policy settings, consent as pre-condition for any tokens/grants) from transaction(token issuance), can happen ahead of time or just in time
  • AS Discovery and RO selected AS,
  • Request and grant for specific fine-grained resources, doesn't look at an entire RS as the resource but allows arbitrarily small resource registration

UMA is very flexible and comprehensive, which creates it's own set of interoperability challenges. Requires interop/ecosystem profiles which immediately undercut the UMA goal of wide-ecosystem.

  • Even client registration at the AS is challenging. UMA implies that it's dynamic since 'any client can be used', however this isn't in wide practice today (most clients today are pre-registered)
  • culmination of different barriers (technical, common practice, understanding) that make UMA difficult to use in practice

Trust Registry helps with decentralization and creating a more informed AS. More granularity around the purpose, state for authorization and checking for changes (new role for PCT?) Captures, AS endpoint, purpose, scope of permissions. There will be many of them, ideally not too many for each RS. How do they interact? Regional/local collaboration, and then combining regional networks with congruent code of practices to create a wider ecosystem.

Topic for future weeks: outcome of user stories discussion, PDP architecture includes the concept, TOIP/SSI are starting to define this ecosystem function

Topic for future weeks: ANCR records update, Privacy as Expected.

AOB

https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-policy-framework-ontarios-digital-identity-program Feel free to submit comments to Ontario about the DI strategy

Alec will be away next week

Attendees

As of October 26, 2020, quorum is 5 of 9. (Michael, Domenico, Peter, Sal, Thomas, Andi, Alec, Eve, Steve)

Voting:

  1. Alec
  2. Sal

Non-voting participants:

  1. Zhen
  2. Ian

Regrets:

  1. Eve

Igor Zboran

Sep 17, 2021, 7:50:31 AM9/17/21
to Alec Laws, wg-uma@kantarainitiative.org WG
Hi Alec, Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

> What is the motivation for needing the correlation? Is there a specific outcome the correlation creates over 'ticket challenge-less' claims pushing?

When there is no pre-established trust between RO's AS and RqP regarding pushed claims tokens (non-interactive RqP id assertion), the relationship between RqP and the client is undefined with respect to RO's AS.
The RO's AS needs proof of the trust relationship between RqP and the client. The ticket challenge embedded in the claims token provides this proof.

Regards

-Igor

Igor Zboran

Sep 20, 2021, 5:50:41 AM9/20/21
to Alec Laws, wg-uma@kantarainitiative.org WG
Well, to sum it up.

Correlated Authorization is an attempt to revive WG's original idea – UMA wide ecosystem, when the RO and RqP might "know each other" in the real world, but RO's AS has no pre-established trust at all with the RqP or any of their identity/claims providers.

-Igor

Igor Zboran

Sep 21, 2021, 7:28:43 AM9/21/21
to Alec Laws, wg-uma@kantarainitiative.org WG
In other words, when the AS and IdP don't know each other, Correlated Authorization can be used with challenge-response proof of authenticity of the RqP's request. No secret information has to be shared between AS and IdP.

-Igor

Igor Zboran

Sep 28, 2021, 8:55:26 AM9/28/21
to Alec Laws, wg-uma@kantarainitiative.org WG
We can look at Correlated Authorization from two different perspectives, where one perspective does not negate the other, on the contrary, they complement one another perfectly:

1. UMA wide ecosystem concept.
uma-wide-ecosystem.png

This high-level view gives you an idea of relationships between UMA wide ecosystem entities.

2. Challenge-response authentication concept.
challenge-response-authentication.png

This unilateral entity authentication protocol elevates trust between the RO's AS and RqP's IdP.

The ticket represents a random challenge and the signed ticket hash represents the response. The hash of the ticket has to be there in order not to reveal too much about the ticket to the authenticator.
The Correlated Authorization draft will be updated accordingly.

Regards

-Igor