kan.so down?

Suraj Kumar

Sep 30, 2013, 1:51:54 AM9/30/13
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Looks like kan.so port 80 has been down since a while although it is pinging:

$ ping kan.so
PING kan.so (107.20.159.167) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ec2-107-20-159-167.compute-1.amazonaws.com (107.20.159.167): icmp_req=1 ttl=48 time=288 ms
64 bytes from ec2-107-20-159-167.compute-1.amazonaws.com (107.20.159.167): icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=288 ms
64 bytes from ec2-107-20-159-167.compute-1.amazonaws.com (107.20.159.167): icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=282 ms
^C
--- kan.so ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms

$ nc -w 5 kan.so 80; echo $?
1

Please fix and please let us know how we can go about setting up mirrors for kan.so.

Regards,

  -Suraj

Milan Andric

Sep 30, 2013, 2:43:33 AM9/30/13
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Fwiw Couchdb is still there: http://kan.so:5984/_utils/database.html?repository

Also anyone should be able to replicate the db/mirror the site pretty easily.  I think we had instructions for that somewhere...

Caolan McMahon

Sep 30, 2013, 3:58:07 AM9/30/13
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Looks like an IP address changed. I've updated the DNS. Once that
propagates it should be available again.

Thanks,

Caolan

Suraj Kumar

Jan 7, 2014, 3:56:43 AM1/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Looks like it is down again. This time, even port 5984 is not available.

Regards,

  -Suraj

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. The firm is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Jason Smith

Jan 7, 2014, 4:32:26 AM1/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I have transferred it to a new cluster. How do things look now?

Suraj Kumar

Jan 7, 2014, 5:02:10 AM1/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Jason Smith <jason....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have transferred it to a new cluster. How do things look now?

Thanks, it works!

--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion Skin without any Onion underneath.

Ryan Ramage

Jan 7, 2014, 11:27:28 AM1/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
haha, lets multiply the number of registries that Jason has to take care of :)

(for the unaware, Jason maintains the npm registry as well)

Caolan McMahon

Jan 7, 2014, 11:47:25 AM1/7/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Yep, only the best for Kanso ;) Thanks Jason!

Suraj Kumar

Jan 16, 2014, 6:49:42 AM1/16/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
kan.so is down once again. Could someone please point me to steps to create a mirror after this is brought back up?

Thanks!
--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion Skin without any Onion underneath.

ask.colo...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2014, 12:46:44 AM1/17/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
Me too. I also want to help bring kanso live again!

Luke Plaster

Jan 18, 2014, 7:11:52 AM1/18/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure I'm not the only one whose build process depends upon the availability of the kanso repository.

(I know that's bad, I'm a terrible person and all that)

Kirill Pertsev

Jan 18, 2014, 11:19:18 AM1/18/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
You're not alone, Luke :-(

Caolan McMahon

Jan 18, 2014, 12:26:59 PM1/18/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
You have my sympathy, I'm following this up.

Caolan

Caolan McMahon

Jan 18, 2014, 7:06:37 PM1/18/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, Kirill Pertsev
It should be back up. Try again and let me know.

Caolan

Kirill Pertsev

Jan 19, 2014, 8:55:49 AM1/19/14
to Caolan McMahon, ka...@googlegroups.com
It works! Thanks a lot!

Luke Plaster

Mar 6, 2014, 5:04:28 AM3/6/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, Kirill Pertsev
FYI it's down again.

Tony Francis

Mar 19, 2014, 5:37:50 AM3/19/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, Kirill Pertsev
hey kan.so is down
pls fix it

Suraj Kumar

Mar 19, 2014, 5:45:21 AM3/19/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, caolan....@gmail.com, Kirill Pertsev
Yes, it is down again. :(

I'm taking the liberty to loop in Caolan directly.

Caolan, am I correct in saying right now even Iris Couch itself is down?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Tony Francis <gto...@gmail.com> wrote:
hey kan.so is down
pls fix it

An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion Skin without any Onion underneath.

Alexander Gabriel

Mar 19, 2014, 7:02:36 AM3/19/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
I used to have my CouchApps on iriscouch.
There was WAY to much downtime and laggs when accessing after a short period of inactivity.
This has been so since years and iriscouch is not answering the complaints in the forum.
I changed to cloudant (great) and am hosting myself now.
No trouble since.

just my 20 cents
Alex

Andreas Wenk

Mar 19, 2014, 7:15:43 AM3/19/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, al...@barbalex.ch
I had the same issues Alex experienced and moved also to Cloudant. You should do the same ...

Cheers

Andy

Suraj Kumar

Mar 19, 2014, 7:18:16 AM3/19/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, caolan....@gmail.com, Kirill Pertsev
Sorry, Only kan.so is down. Iris couch is not down.

How do we run kanso binary such that it can use iriscouch as the repository url? The problem is, if I replicate from irisCouch to my own couch and then point kanso binary to my instance, it works. But, if I point it directly to iris couch it does not. Why?

Kirill Pertsev

Mar 27, 2014, 2:48:51 AM3/27/14
to Caolan McMahon, ka...@googlegroups.com
Caolan,

What's the plan with kan.so? Is it coming back to life or gone forever?

Thanks,
Kirill

Suraj Kumar

Mar 27, 2014, 3:16:14 AM3/27/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com, Caolan McMahon
Hi Krill,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Kirill Pertsev <ki...@kikap.com> wrote:
What's the plan with kan.so? Is it coming back to life or gone forever?

At this point, I'd sincerely advise you to become independent of the broken kanso website.

Just replicate the docs off iriscouch (http://kanso.iriscouch.com:5984/repository ) and modify kanso to pull from the replicated local source.

While the right way is to setup a ~/.kansorc file which overrides the db url, this didn't work for me (kanso doesn't seem to read from ~/.kansorc file, perhaps I've set it up incorrectly?). However, I modified node_modules/kanso/lib/kansorc.js and changed the 'defaults' from http://kan.so:5984/repository to my replicated db instance url. This is not advisable, but will surely work in such dire emergencies. Worth exploring (and sharing back) how to get ~/.kansorc to work correctly.

Regards,

  -Suraj

Thanks,
Kirill

An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion Skin without any Onion underneath.

Milan Andric

Mar 27, 2014, 6:37:06 AM3/27/14
to ka...@googlegroups.com
The .kansorc file should be in the project directory, not your home directory ~/.kansorc.  It's project specific, not global.

Milan