Citizen Mapper initiative

cynthia...@gmail.com

May 19, 2010, 10:51:58 AM5/19/10
to kansas-river-i...@googlegroups.com
We have been working with Ron Hall of the Spokane Riverkeeper and folks from Google (who have helped us embed this great discussion forum gadget in our website) to create a forum on Citizen Mapping. Please visit the website we are building at http://sites.google.com/site/citizenmapper/home

Hopefully we will be able to share what we are learning during our River Inventory project with other Waterkeepers and start a movement to involve the concerned citizens in our organizations in improving the way rivers are mapped. Rivers are almost always poorly mapped and we are in bad need up-to-date information about our rivers.

cynthia...@gmail.com

May 20, 2010, 3:28:03 PM5/20/10
to kansas-river-i...@googlegroups.com
Examples of mapping initiatives can be found on the Waterkeeper Alliance mapping panel google site at http://sites.google.com/site/wkamappingpanel/

cynthia...@gmail.com

May 25, 2010, 10:28:12 PM5/25/10
to kansas-river-i...@googlegroups.com
We have embedded google earth into the website (Photos in Google Earth and KARS Kansas Land Use Map). Please check it out and let us know if it works on your computer. Thanks!

I would like to set up pages for "adopt a reach" and have expert mappers focus on 10-20 mile sections of the river (Steve is an obvious candidate for the Topeka stretch). Please let me know what you think of this idea, and if you have suggestions on what information we should ask them to include.

cynthia...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2010, 10:46:22 AM6/30/10
to kansas-river-i...@googlegroups.com
we have our first entry-- take a look at this and see what you think

Laura Calwell

Jun 30, 2010, 12:42:32 PM6/30/10
to kansas-river-i...@googlegroups.com
Very cool!